Just had aspiration, I have a leak now what :(

Lapband2911
on 4/14/16 2:31 pm

I was banded just over 5 years ago and lost close to 80 pounds. Had a baby about 8 months ago. About ten days I woke up and had no restriction, I keep a tight band so this was very odd. Had aspiration today and 3 CCS were missing. So I must, have a leak :( now what's going to happen? I'm terrified I'll need surgery and I had serious complications after my cesarean :(

ladygodiva1228
on 4/15/16 6:31 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On April 14, 2016 at 9:31 PM Pacific Time, Lapband2911 wrote:

I was banded just over 5 years ago and lost close to 80 pounds. Had a baby about 8 months ago. About ten days I woke up and had no restriction, I keep a tight band so this was very odd. Had aspiration today and 3 CCS were missing. So I must, have a leak :( now what's going to happen? I'm terrified I'll need surgery and I had serious complications after my cesarean :(

If you do have a leak then you will need surgery to fix it.  If it is something more serious like a slipped band or eroded band then you will need surgery.  What ever way you look at it you will need to have some sort of surgery to fix it.  Sorry to say.

Most surgeons warn against keeping a tight band as it can lead to slippage or erosion. 

Best of luck to you.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

sheriberi29
on 4/15/16 1:21 pm - Cleveland, TN

Good news is ... If you have a hole in your tubing ... It's an easy fix . Worse case scenario they would have to revise to a new band or a different procedure 

annie0039
on 4/20/16 5:00 am

Your Dr. needs to do a Flush Fill or even a fill done under Fluoroscopy. In the first they remove all Saline and Check the records to make sure what they placed in your band is still there. the Latter is to actually view on X-rays the Saline being put into the port.

A replacement of the tubing is SURGERY, IMHO that's not Easy.

Aspiration is because the band was too tight and can cause pneumonia even death if aspirated into the lungs.

So sorry that you had post -op complications from your C-section :( but you Need to find out what is happening with your band.

A high index of suspicion is required for diagnosis of band erosion as most patients are asymptomatic. When symptomatic, complaints related to erosion include loss of restriction, nonspecific epigastric pain, gastrointestinal bleeding, intra-abdominal abscesses or port-site infection.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3038361/?report=classic

Lapband2911
on 4/20/16 4:31 pm

Doc is now saying I probably don't have a leak because I do had 4.5ccs. He said if there was a leak the band should have been empty. He said could've been air in the band or a piece of food stuck for a long time that finally passed. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this???

(deactivated member)
on 5/18/16 8:17 pm

I was just going to write that.

If it makes you feel better what you can do is get a fill under fluoro.  Have them remove the saline and replace with contrast. If there is a leak they can see it right then and there.  But since you do have fluid it is quite unlikely you have a leak.  Probably human error in your previous fill.

annie0039
on 5/18/16 2:11 pm

ID the Dr's Records states he put in 7 cc's and you only have 3.5 then there is a leak! It doesn't just evaporate, nor does it fully empty just because a leak is present. some tubing leaks can allow small amounts to leak out but not empty. SIGH if the Dr's bothered to read the literature they would be amazed by the information that they DON"T have! UGH! Good Luck

(deactivated member)
on 5/18/16 8:19 pm

When you enter a band with a needle you can tell if there is a leak because if there is a lot of pressure in the plunger of the syringe and there is fluid, there is no leak.  The pressure would push out all the fluid except what is in the tubing, or the prime.

Most Active