Thought I had a leak, doc says probably not. Need advice!

Lapband2911
on 4/20/16 4:34 pm

Banded over 5 years ago lost 80 pounds. Randomly won't up a few weeks ago with no restriction. Went for aspiration and only 4.5ccs can't out ( was supposed to be at 7.5). I thought I had a leak but Doc is saying I probably don't have a leak because I do had 4.5ccs. He said if there was a leak the band should have been empty. He said could've been air in the band or a piece of food stuck for a long time that finally passed. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this??? I've never experienced anything like this with my band.

(deactivated member)
on 4/21/16 5:15 am

I don't have a band but it sounds odd to me. If you had 7ccs in there and the Dr only found 4.5cc the rest must have gone somewhere. It can't evaporate in a sealed band. Plus how would air get in to the band again a sealed system. If I am reading this right I'd think about a second opinion. I hope someone with a band comes along and can give you some suggestions for their knowledge.

sheriberi29
on 4/23/16 7:12 pm - Cleveland, TN

This doesn't make any sense. If you had 7 ccs of saline in the band that's placed around the outside of your stomach ...... and food or no food got stuck in your stomach , you'd still have the same amount of saline . I'd get another opinion. Did he add any saline to your 4.5 that you can go back after a certain time passes and have it rechecked ? You could have just a tiny pinhole leak I would think .... 

monymony
on 4/25/16 1:14 pm

Hi, you need to be seen yearly to calibrate how much fluid is in your band. You do lose a little fluid over time. Get some fluid put in your band. Go back to your surgeon in a couple of weeks. Pull the fluid and if there is a lot gone, you might have a leak. It happens fairly frequently. Mona                     

Veteran Bandster 2002

Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!

annie0039
on 5/11/16 2:35 pm

As previous mentioned a Simple Flush of the band can tell you what's in it. The record's should reveal that same amount, perhaps a small amount less but NOT a full loss of 3 cc. That much Saline doesn't go missing from a closed system like the band. 

Something to consider as well is that in the literature it states that a sudden loss of restriction to signify erosion.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3038361/?report= classic

Hopefully you will finds some answers soon!

Most Active