New Bandster...

TiffBee
on 4/28/16 5:39 am, edited 4/28/16 8:12 am
Lap Band on 04/12/16

Hello All!

I'm new to this forum & just had lapband surgery on April 12. I know that I'm very impatient but 2wks out, I've only lost 8lbs. I've read so many stories about ppl losing 30+ pounds in their first month or so. I'm just wondering if I'm being too hard on myself..getting a little discouraged though. I know some will read this & say "2wks??!!" Lol! Just wondering if anyone else has experienced such a slow loss in the beginning? I've been following my Dr's orders & sticking to my liquid/soft diet. Can anyone shed some light from ur personal experience? TIA :)

ladygodiva1228
on 4/28/16 8:57 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On April 28, 2016 at 12:39 PM Pacific Time, TiffBee wrote:

Hello All!

I'm new to this forum & just had lapband surgery on April 12. I know that I'm very impatient but 2wks out, I've only lost 8lbs. I've read so many stories about ppl losing 30+ pounds in their first month or so. I'm just wondering if I'm being too hard on myself..getting a little discouraged though. I know some will read this & say "2wks??!!" Lol! Just wondering if anyone else has experienced such a slow loss in the beginning? I've been following my Dr's orders & sticking to my liquid/soft diet. Can anyone shed some light from ur personal experience? TIA :)

The band has slow weight loss and high long term complication rates.  It is not until you start getting fills that the weight loss picks up a little, but not like 20 or 30lbs in a month.  Most of the  people who lose a lot in the first month either have a large amount of weight to lose, have had the sleeve, bypass, or DS.

I'm surprised surgeons are still placing the band. 

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

TiffBee
on 4/28/16 9:03 am
Lap Band on 04/12/16

Thank you!

Mell
on 5/2/16 7:30 am

HI!

Typically people will not start loosing for a bit after they get fills.  Try to stay focused and if you need to stay off the scale, for me when I am struggling I loose my motivation so I try to weigh only once every few weeks, this way you just keep on the program.  Take it one day at a time and as you get your fills you will start to feel better. 

I am nearing my 10 year mark! I have had some surgeries here lately and have gained around 10lbs but I am working to keep it off, and right now I am off the scale!

Mell
Start weight: 320
At surgery:  300
Current:      185
Goal:           175

TiffBee
on 5/14/16 2:34 pm
Lap Band on 04/12/16

Wow!!! You've had great success with the band. U really hear so many stories that sometimes it gets discouraging. I've made a vow to myself to work this band as best I can. I can't take having surgery lightly! But u are absolutely right about the scale, I've become obsessed & I know I have to stop!!! Thanks so much for ur positive comments & encouragement :)

Nic M
on 5/2/16 11:29 am

You might notice a difference after you get saline in the band. Don't overfill. You should be able to eat solid foods without pain. But it will take time to learn how to chew well (even more than you could ever imagine, seriously.) It's a painful process, truthfully.  Some lucky people have some restriction right off the bat, some never reach an acceptable level. It's very trial and error. 

IF you develop any referred left shoulder pain after a fill, please get the saline removed immediately because the more the Vagus nerve gets irritated, the more painful it becomes until it's a permanent part of life. (You do not want this! It's a very common side effect/complication of gastric banding.) 

Good luck to you. I hope it gets easier after you heal and get a fill. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

TiffBee
on 5/14/16 2:29 pm
Lap Band on 04/12/16

I haven't gotten my first fill yet and I had that shoulder pain for the first week after surgery, it was horrible!! I'm now one month out & right around a 13lbs loss. I realize I just have to be patient & continue staying focused. Thank u for the info & encouragement 

TiffBee
on 5/14/16 2:30 pm
Lap Band on 04/12/16

Really praying I don't have that shoulder pain with fills or ever again, for that matter...lol!!

jenpenutrgv
on 5/5/16 6:55 am

Girl, count your blessings and be proud of those 8 pounds lost. I gained 7 pounds my first week out.  Went to the surgeon's for my 1 post op check up and he saw my 7 pound gain and accused me of staying up late at night sneaking pizza, burgers, and coke when my family was asleep. LOLOLLOL. It took me half an hour to sip down a tablespoon of water or liquid pain killers immediately and a couple of days after my surgery and he accused me of shoveling down pizza and burgers and carbonated soft drinks. LOLOLOOLOL.  I haven't lost a pound since. Good luck to you.

TiffBee
on 5/14/16 2:26 pm
Lap Band on 04/12/16

OMG!!! How insensitive of a dr to say that to u! I'm sorry to hear that. So u never lost any weight at all with the band??!

Most Active