rny and lap band removed ... if lap had band was removed, can a new one be placed in...

coconutatthebeach
on 5/16/16 1:19 am, edited 5/16/16 1:21 am

Had rny ... After many years of succes, i then regained the weight after certain deaths in the family, etc ... then had lap band and it was later removed a few months afterwrd ... eroded i was told ... could i get another lap band put in or a vertical sleeve ?

(deactivated member)
on 5/16/16 4:38 am

Not sure what can be done to revise from RNY to VGS but I am sure someone will show up that knows. If you had one lap band removed why would you want another one? If one erodes I expect the next one would too. Of course you may have too much damage from the first one for any Dr to place another one. Many Drs won't even place a lap band anymore due to all the long term issues they seem to have.

Have to tried going back to basics and eating the way you did after your RNY surgery? The tool you had is still there. I am sorry issues occurred in your life that got you off track. It must be even harder after years of success.

I wish you all success getting back on track however you do that.

annie0039
on 5/17/16 5:36 am

An RNY can be Reversed, BUT you'd better Research and make sure you have a Surgeon that has AMPLE experience in REVISION Surgeries.

If your going to go that route why not have the DS=Duodenal Switch? As mentioned if the 1st band eroded you may not have ample stomach tissue to revise to a sleeve and may end up In a similar situation of inadequate WL after being sleeved?

2nd bands are not a good idea   High secondary failure rate of rebanding after failed gastric banding.            http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17593435

If your interested in Researching more this is an informative site of all WLS'

https://www.dssurgery.com/weight-loss-surgery/compare-proced ures/

(deactivated member)
on 5/17/16 8:24 pm

Most surgeons don't even do bands at all anymore due to low weight loss and the fact that they are temporary at best.  If you eroded once before no ethical surgeon would dream of doing it again.

Before insurance will pay for a revision they have to know why your RNY isn't working today.  What mechanical problems do you have with RNY or is it more of food choices?  If it is food choices no surgery type in the world is going to fix it.

Your first step is to see if you have anything mechanically wrong with your RNY.  A sleeve... if you fail with restriction AND malabsorption, most surgeons are not going to switch to restriction alone.

monymony
on 5/19/16 2:54 pm

Check with your surgeon. Under normal cir****tances with an eroded band, you could have it replaced in 4-6 months. Since you have had a band over bypass that may not be possible. Good luck. Mona

Veteran Bandster 2002

Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!

Most Active