Just HAD LAP BAND REMOVED JUNE 8, NINE YRS FROM ORIG PLACEMENT

CElizabeth
on 6/9/16 5:32 am
VSG on 11/10/16

Wow, I LOVED my band, but in the past month after 6 weeks and two hospital trips later, my band was removed 9 years after it was placed, almost to the day. I guess I will now look into the GASTRIC SLEEVE, but ya know friends, I can't afford USA prices. WILL HAVE TO GO TO MEXICO. I am at 157lbs now. I HOPE TO be no more than 180 by December.  I want to get the gastric Sleeve in Mexico by November or December of 2016.

ANY advice for me?

HARRISBURG Pa 

Revision to Gastric Sleeve Nov 10, 2016

Lap band Removed June 2016

Current weight is 172

Surgery Weight was 196

Goal weight aoround 145

dlrankin
on 6/9/16 3:45 pm

Just curious what problems with the band finally caused it to be removed? I wish you the best of luck with your future surgery. Doxie

sheriberi29
on 6/11/16 2:16 pm - Cleveland, TN

I had my band for 6.5 years and was just converted to rny because of so many problems with my band and eventually had a regain of 45 lbs but the last 20 came on fast!!!! I'm talking like 2 months after my band was unfilled . My only advice looking back is.... Really try hard to have a protein forward diet and avoid carbs at all cost. I did not do this, and now I'm having a lot more to lose than I would have. Good luck on your procedure ! I originally wanted to get the sleeve but wasn't the best candidate due to reflux issues and damage caused by my band. I'm very very happy to be rid of that band and it's evil port. 

Banded 6/9/09 HW 242 LW 142 Revision 198 m 1 loss 16 lbs 182. M 2 loss 4 lbs 178. M3 loss 6 lbs 174.m4 loss 4 lbs 168. M5 gain 2 lbs 170. M6 loss 7 lbs 163 M7 loss 5 lbs 159 M8 loss 1 lb 158 M9 loss 0 M10 155 loss 3 M11 154 loss 1 M12 loss 2 152 M13 loss 3 149 M16, 17 0 loss M 18 loss 4 lbs 145 (18 months 53 lbs)

CElizabeth
on 6/11/16 6:30 pm
VSG on 11/10/16

I would like to get the sleeve. I understand my stomach might have to heal. I've heard conflicting things, one, I will have too much scar tissue for a traditional sleeve, and then also, sure a sleeve will be fine to do. I AM eating more, but for the first time in 9 long years it's like where is my stop signal?? I had it with the band.

The problem I had with the band, was after eating, vomiting up the food, then water, then any pill that I would take to help me, severe pain, bloating that wouldn't go away. I wanted an unfill, then they said it was slipped and had to come out. So, I just let them take it. I was in so much pain, so much pain, it was too much for me. I will put up with a lot and have with the band, but pain while eating 1/8 c of food. No, I wasn't happy and I knew something had to be wrong, it was 2 episodes that had me rushed to a hospital because of severe stomach pain. It came out. I enjoyed the freedom I had with the band, I liked the band, I know it had a lot of problems associated with it, but I never experienced severe problems until recently.

The gastric sleeve is an option for me, I would have to go to Mexico, because I am not 100 lbs over weight. I understand I have to find a GOOD, EXPERIENCED DR IN REVISION SURGERY, as well, as a dr who is good overall. That is what I'm looking at this point. Researching, trying to find the most experienced dr with revision for me. I can afford the cost. But, there is no way I can afford the price of the USA prices.

HARRISBURG Pa 

Current weight is 172

Surgery Weight was 196

Goal weight aoround 145

(deactivated member)
on 6/17/16 8:37 am
On June 12, 2016 at 1:30 AM Pacific Time, CElizabeth wrote:

I would like to get the sleeve. I understand my stomach might have to heal. I've heard conflicting things, one, I will have too much scar tissue for a traditional sleeve, and then also, sure a sleeve will be fine to do. I AM eating more, but for the first time in 9 long years it's like where is my stop signal?? I had it with the band.

The problem I had with the band, was after eating, vomiting up the food, then water, then any pill that I would take to help me, severe pain, bloating that wouldn't go away. I wanted an unfill, then they said it was slipped and had to come out. So, I just let them take it. I was in so much pain, so much pain, it was too much for me. I will put up with a lot and have with the band, but pain while eating 1/8 c of food. No, I wasn't happy and I knew something had to be wrong, it was 2 episodes that had me rushed to a hospital because of severe stomach pain. It came out. I enjoyed the freedom I had with the band, I liked the band, I know it had a lot of problems associated with it, but I never experienced severe problems until recently.

The gastric sleeve is an option for me, I would have to go to Mexico, because I am not 100 lbs over weight. I understand I have to find a GOOD, EXPERIENCED DR IN REVISION SURGERY, as well, as a dr who is good overall. That is what I'm looking at this point. Researching, trying to find the most experienced dr with revision for me. I can afford the cost. But, there is no way I can afford the price of the USA prices.

You WILL have scar tissue from the band, everyone does.  A revision surgeon can do it with no problem in one surgery but your standard issue surgeon will need to do it in two surgeries AND it's very likely to be much bigger than you want.  It is sooo important to go to a revision surgeon. The only time a revision surgeon can't do it in one surgery is with a new slip or erosion.  Otherwise the Standard of Care is to have it done in one surgery.

One big big issue you need to look at is esophageal damage.  The band causes a TON of esophageal damage and in that case your only good option would be bypass.  Bands by nature are a high pressure device sitting a few inches under your esophagus.  It is always pushing food and liquid up and your esophagus is always pushing it down.  The two are at battle all the time and eventually the band wins the war.

A sleeve is a medium pressure procedure and in an otherwise healthy esophagus it is no problem.  But for an esophagus with damage it is a big problem.

If you do have esophageal damage then bypass is your best bet and the reason is... it is a zero pressure procedure.  Your food is pulled down through your esophagus with the aid of gravity.

Anne O.
on 6/13/16 3:42 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Revision on 06/30/16

Why would the sleeve be bigger than you might want after a band to sleeve revision...and you seem knowledgeable. Where are you getting your information? 

-Anne

sheriberi29
on 6/27/16 4:24 am - Cleveland, TN

Because the surgeon may not be able to put the staple line where he would normally put it due to damage from band . It could cause a staple line leak which is very dangerous . It's possible the new stomach would be a tad larger than virgin sleevers 

Banded 6/9/09 HW 242 LW 142 Revision 198 m 1 loss 16 lbs 182. M 2 loss 4 lbs 178. M3 loss 6 lbs 174.m4 loss 4 lbs 168. M5 gain 2 lbs 170. M6 loss 7 lbs 163 M7 loss 5 lbs 159 M8 loss 1 lb 158 M9 loss 0 M10 155 loss 3 M11 154 loss 1 M12 loss 2 152 M13 loss 3 149 M16, 17 0 loss M 18 loss 4 lbs 145 (18 months 53 lbs)

CElizabeth
on 6/13/16 8:00 pm
VSG on 11/10/16

I used to have reflux with the lap band when I first got it the first 5 years, but the last 4 years, I really didn't have much reflux, only when I overate. I am hoping to get the sleeve in Sept 2016. I hope it works, I am gaining, I'm know I have to gain some to even get the gastric sleeve. Life is full of ups and downs. Right now, it is a rough time, but I will continue to pray and hope things turn around.

HARRISBURG Pa 

Current weight is 172

Surgery Weight was 196

Goal weight aoround 145

CElizabeth
on 6/13/16 8:12 pm
VSG on 11/10/16

NO, I am gaining just eating regularly and I am up 10 lbs. I plan on going to Mexico, I have medical insurance that covers weight loss surgery, but only for those it is medically necessary for. Did you lose with the gastric sleeve? What size is your sleeve? I would like a small one, since I know it will stretch. I am thankful I have options and I have a passport.

HARRISBURG Pa 

Current weight is 172

Surgery Weight was 196

Goal weight aoround 145

Lifebeauty
on 6/14/16 5:25 pm

I will b self-pay if and when I get revision from the band and would like info.  Is there any other way to get info besides facebook.  I don't have an account and would rather not get one. 

Thanks

With  I will succeed.
HW: 280 - LW: 190 - GW - 180  
Unfilled 8/15/11 - WT:  209
1st Fill 11/29/11 - WT: 215.5 - 3cc
2/20/12 - New Goal - Get n Onederland
2nd Fill 4/26/12 - WT: 224.0 - 3cc
Z

Most Active