Heading for revision...... Band to Bypass

Kazzy2
on 6/19/16 3:39 am

Hi all,

I had my lapband March 2007, only lost about 16kg (34lbs?) total over about 7 months, had issues after a flight to South Africa and had to have near total unfill after not being able to eat for 6 weeks... Since then I have played the game, fill the band, too tight, unfill the band too loose... I am talking .1ml measures up and down each time.... Just could not find that sweet spot anymore... 

I gained all of the weight back + another 5kg more when I wasn't looking.... De Nile is not just a river in Africa!  Had started to see my band nurse again in November 15 and gave myself 6 months to get working with my band and losing weight again... In that time I have had at least 6 fills (.1ml) and 2 unfills.  Have lost a very lowly 4kg, and it has been a struggle.  I am still high protein low carb generally, and have since Nov dropped the carb stuff that had crept back in to my diet...

I started to have some severe reflux issues and waking in the night running to the bathroom... choking... So band unfill some more... continued having same issues.  Decided enough was enough and that I was now ready to revise to Gastric Bypass.

This is a huge decision, I wanted the band in the beginning as was less invasive option etc.... My surgeon was apologetic for doing the band at that time and says he wishes he talked me into bypass originally.

I have had all my Pre-op consults and thunderbirds are go!  Surgery date is 19 July and very excited, scared and nervous all at once.  I have started the good habits in advance of needing them - have never been good at taking vitamins, but have this nailed now.  I am starting daily exercise now too - which I never adapted to with the band.... I want to be one who enjoys exercise!

So that is where I am at, hoping not too major adhesions for the revision - my surgeon is great said it does not matter - will sort them when removing band and then move on.... He may be removing Gallbladder too, it has been giving me some grief lately and think may have passed a stone recently.

Reading and researching like mad, looking forward to making it too goal this time!

Kazzy2

NZ

corky1
on 6/19/16 9:20 am - Caledonia, Canada
RNY on 08/24/16

I, too, chose the band in 2009 as the least invasive surgery. After an initial weight loss of about 60lbs,  I have regained and had some of the same issues as you have experienced.  I will be revising to bypass this summer.  This is my last "whack at the cat", and am hoping for the same success as others have had.  Wishing you the best!

Kazzy2
on 6/19/16 8:52 pm

Hi Corky1

Thanks for your message, LOL at "whack at the cat", yes it does feel a little like that to me too....

Suppose I am having the doubts of 10 years from now am I going to be back to square one and looking for another revision... Last chance to get it right once and for all... Self pay for both so want to make this one count!

Keep in touch, et me know when you get your date! Exciting!

Karen

NZ

(deactivated member)
on 6/23/16 4:52 am

Sounds like you are on the right road. You are lucky to have such a great surgeon on your side. I wish you great success. Those bands as we now know are just plain evil. Keep us updated.

Kazzy2
on 7/9/16 5:35 pm

Thanks so much, agreed I have a fabulous surgeon!

I have been shopping this weekend for all my pre op diet suppliers - start tomorrow and my post op purees.... 

Kitchen pantry is chock a block am trying to have a big sort out to Mine and theirs (the rest of the family)..

Busy doing all those jobs I have been putting off, it is like nesting before you have a baby!  Trying to get ahead so can concentrate on recovery... 9 days to go!

VickyDnGA
on 7/9/16 4:30 pm - Tifton, GA

I was banded in 2005 and had great success and lost almost 100 lbs. With that being said, I have had nothing but trouble since 2011. I have fought with insurance for over a year and once again was denied. I have decided to go to Mexico to Dr. Ortiz and have scheduled my surgery for August 17. I wanted the bypass in 2005 and the Dr. talked me out of it but now I will have my day. I'm scared to death but excited to! Prayers for all of us and hoping we finally get this weight off!

VickyDnga

Kazzy2
on 7/9/16 5:38 pm

Hi Vicky - wahoo you will be one month behind me, I wish you a very successful operation and a speedy healing time!

Typically I have lost one kilo this week after 6 months of losing 4 kilos in total.... I have focused on the protein first and dropped the carbs ( nearly) in preparation of next week.... Of course my band is now behaving as I have very little fluid in it... I think it still needs to come out 9 years and who knows what has happened on the inside... Very worried about the adhesions and scar tissue that I know I have from multiple other major surgeries... Surgeon is ready for it taking considerably longer than normal, Gallbladder coming out too...

9 Days to go!

Keep in touch!

sylviaarcher
on 7/10/16 5:53 am - Spruce Pine, NC
Revision on 07/18/16

Hi Kazzy! I am revising from a band to bypass on the 18th! Good luck to you!

Kazzy2
on 7/10/16 2:26 pm

Yay Sylvia, it will be great to have someone to share notes with as we go through the post op days.

And technically we are having surgery the same day as the 18th in US = 19th NZ!

Will keep in touch - all the very best to you, sounds like we have a similar story!

Kazzy2

sylviaarcher
on 7/13/16 4:06 pm - Spruce Pine, NC
Revision on 07/18/16

Cool! I am not sure how to access my friends area. Help? 

Most Active