Large bruise after my first fill?

fr1endly2
on 8/7/16 5:51 am - Ridge, NY

Ok i had my first fill friday and of course i carry a lot of my weight 

in the stomach. I have a very large bruise 

and now today when i breath in and out it hurts?

should i be concerned?

thanks 

LISA

bypass/ lap banded

6/1/2005...6/15/2016

310/169/?  228/207/??

Lisa 

Nic M
on 8/7/16 10:15 am

It hurts when you breathe in and out because the band is affecting your diaphragm. It shouldn't hurt to breathe. You might need to get some fluid out of the band. It's normal to bruise, though. I was always black and blue and yellow and green on my stomach. Every time I tried to get the band filled, it would cause unbearable pain, trouble breathing, and make the already ever-present left shoulder pain even worse. 

Yes, you should be concerned. The longer your band is in contact with the diaphragm and specifically the Vagus nerves, the more damage it causes. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

fr1endly2
on 8/7/16 11:39 am - Ridge, NY

thank you was concerned with the bruise glad its normal. 

I think its not so much that it presses on my diaphragm i think its 

my tummy pressing on it when i breath in and out. Its only 

my first fill?

bypass/ lap banded

6/1/2005...6/15/2016

310/169/?  228/207/??

Lisa 

Nic M
on 8/7/16 12:40 pm

The band is positioned toward the top of the stomach and touches the diaphragm. There's really no way around it unless they put the band down really low on the stomach and then it would be incorrectly positioned. The diaphragm is shaped like a parachute and separates the thoracic cavity from the abdominopelvic cavity in the ventral cavity. Either the top portion of your stomach or the band itself is going to touch the diaphragm. When you get your band filled, you might experience inflammation. Or it could be overfilled and damaging the nerves. 

You might be overfilled if it affects your ability to breathe. I'd give your doc a call and see what he or she thinks. Sometimes it loosens up on its own, but you don't want to go too long with it too tight. 

It's better to be on the conservative side with fills rather than too tight. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Katiemou1
on 8/10/16 10:28 am

I had bruising and soreness after most fills. Never had issues breathing though. If I dont chew properly and get something stuck. I get the shoulder pain due to the vagus nerve contact...feels like someone pinching the muscles down the side of my neck to my left should but only happens when something is stuck which is probably 3x a month due to inattention or fibrous foods, even salad sometimrs. Once I regurgitate the feeling goes away immediately. If you have coverage I would go get it checked out to be safe. Sometimes they leave too much fluid in during the surgery and then overfill not realizing. 

Most Active