Nauseous after band removal - and weight gain ??

kritzz40
on 10/8/16 4:54 pm
Lap Band on 09/30/16

I got my band back in 2008. I just had it taken out a week ago, due to a really bad slippage. It's never really worked that great for me, and I am grateful to have it gone. I feel it was a horrible decision for me to have it placed. The band definitely failed, and I had no restriction at all.

I have 2 questions.

#1 - I am nauseous after eating - is that normal? I've pretty much been eating liquids and soft foods. I did have some vegetables and some eggs a couple of times, and felt immediate nausea each time. What am I doing wrong?

#2 - Why is it assumed that everyone who has a band removal gains weight? If you follow a good diet and exercise, couldn't you counteract that? Everything I am reading is saying, no. Why?  

Thank you!

Nic M
on 10/9/16 9:35 am

Hi, 

Hopefully the nausea will pass. It's only been a week, correct? That anesthesia can really affect a body until it's out of your system. Eggs might be too hard to digest this early out. You might want to stick to softer foods... more like soups and easily digestible stuff. I remember being pretty nauseated after band removal. The band damages the stomach and it takes a while to heal up. 

Statistically speaking, most of us do regain. But it's not written in stone. I kept the weight off for quite a number of years after band removal. I went to the gym daily, watched my diet, etc. But after taking steroids for a post surgical complication, quitting smoking, and then having a hysterectomy, well, the odds were against me and I regained. Some of us just have the propensity for it... it's how we're wired or something. But it doesn't HAVE to happen. Think positively, do what is required to keep the weight off, and keep truckin'! 

Hope you heal up well and feel great soon! 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Jenn021
on 10/18/16 10:40 am

I hope that you have started to feel better.  I was banded in 2011 and I'm seriously considering having it removed due to some ongoing health issues.  Where did you have your removal surgery?

Jenn

annie0039
on 12/1/16 4:20 pm

Not sure If the Nausea is "Normal" but I did have it for approx. 6 mos post band removal, other problems that also felt a lot like Gall Bladder issues but, it did eventually go away. I guess it was from not being able to eat certain foods, and now I it was possible?

If it's persistent( long-term) mention it to your Dr, even your GP can put you on anti-nausea meds( temporarily)

Not sure about the Weight gain? Again my guess is that your body's metabolism is challenged ( famine mode) with the band and when it's removes your body doesn't recognize it as a good thing and so it tends to Hold on to whatever you give it awaiting the next famine.

Until of course your metabolism resets, but often it's too last and you've regained. Some that I know that have had the band removed have managed to retain some weight loss but it's not with EFFORT, exercise dieting, pills, etc..

Most Active