Band11’s Posts

Band11
on 4/12/17 7:10 pm
Topic: RE: Dilated Esophagus

Travelher, this is so discouraging. I loved my lapland! Like I said it has been my best friend for weight loss and healthy living since day one. Of course I am so very thankful for my baby, but am totally bummed that the band isn't working. How did you know when it was time to revise? I'm sure the liquids only diet would work, but man it's a mental battle for sure. I'm going to have to just bite the bullet and do it. Now more than ever, I have to be healthy for my baby. I'm 45 and am going to need all the energy I can get to keep up with her, LOL.

Band11
on 4/12/17 7:05 pm

So sorry to hear this msmarrie. So how have you been doing with your weight control since then? Hope things are looking up soon for you.

Band11
on 4/5/17 7:28 pm

You say that when your band is too tight, you overeat/force food and cause damage to the esophagus. Do you think you overate out of hunger or habit? I have been studying and read that a lot of WLS patients tend to divert back to overeating out of the habit they once had within 5 years of surgery. I'm trying to pay close attention to my own habits to see if I can 'retrain' myself with band eating. Thoughts? (and good luck with the sleeve. I've heard a lot of good results with them.)

Band11
on 4/5/17 1:12 pm

Well, certainly, best of luck to you! Healthy is the goal! Hope you feel better very soon!

Band11
on 4/4/17 8:01 pm

Will you revise to sleeve or bypass?

Band11
on 4/4/17 7:59 pm

Oh dear! Why are they taking it out?

Band11
on 3/29/17 5:41 pm

Sorry to hear that you're going through a lot of the same symptoms. I, too, was having chest pain. The upper GI found a hiatal hernia that I didn't know I had. A lot of what I was experiencing are symptoms from the hernia and not the lap band. The second upper GI on Friday has shown that my esophagus looks good, so I got a 4cc's put back in. It's not much, but enough to start over. I've dropped 5lbs since Friday and so far so good. I have been doing protein shakes and water and if I get hungry I'll do either a bowl of soup or a salad for dinner. Good luck.

Band11
on 3/26/17 9:58 pm

Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it.

Band11
on 3/20/17 7:13 pm

I am 6+ years post lap band surgery. I have been very successful with it with no problems. My starting weight was 354 and I went down to 198 and maintained that until last year with my pregnancy. Before my pregnancy, I never had one bit of trouble with my band at all! I committed to eating right and exercising religiously and it worked! However, during my pregnancy and post pregnancy, numbers seemed to get confusing with my fills (because I always ask what they're doing even though they don't like to say).

I had been having a lot of problems keeping anything down since October and found out in February that my esophagus is dilated and achalasia. All of my fluid came out and in the past three weeks I have gained 15lbs. Because of not being able to keep anything (even liquids) down for a few months, I was malnourished, dehydrated, just a mess. So a little gain I expected for my body to catch up and regain health. But I guess my biggest concern is now what?

I go back to the doctor Friday for another upper GI. At my last appointment I was told there were no restrictions I had to follow, just eat lap band appropriate. However, over the last few days, I have been reading blogs and doing research and have found that a lot of patients with this problem are put on a strict liquid diet for the month. Has anyone gone through this and been able to return to band restriction successfully? I'd appreciate any input.

Most Active