msmarrie’s Posts

msmarrie
on 8/6/18 3:17 pm
Topic: RE: Does Medi-Cal (California) Medicaid Pay for Band Replacement

I am back again! So after a year of dealing with Medi-cal, almost having my band removed only to discover the provider didn't take Medi-cal after they say me on a consult WITH Medi-cal, I am finally going to get a revision to VSG probably in the next few weeks once my Medi-cal is active again (that's another story for another time). During the period that I went back to work our new HR manager told me she had VSG even though she has gained back all of her weight and then some, she did make me feel better about the safety and long term effects of having most of our stomach removed.

I am not worried about being successful because I was very successful with the Lap Band and still have not regained all of the weight I lost even now having been completely unfilled for almost 2 years now.

Also, Medi-cal would have paid for revision of the band to another band but as mentioned the provider didn't accept Medi-cal.

Excited to embark on this new weight loss journey!

msmarrie
on 5/4/17 9:43 am
Topic: RE: I can NEVER have a fill

And why didn't the Dr. try a smaller fill? He didn't have to put in a full 3 ml.

msmarrie
on 5/4/17 9:41 am
Topic: RE: I can NEVER have a fill

Why haven't you applied for Medicaid?

msmarrie
on 4/22/17 4:29 pm
Topic: RE: Weight Loss Surgery Friendly PCP in Los Angeles

My daughter has decided she wants to have weight loss surgery. She currently has to choose her Medi-Cal health plan and the choices are L.A. Care and Health Net. Anyone have WLS with either of these and can you recommend a WLS PCP who will not give a lot of hassle? She has been deciding for years if she wanted to do this and is finally ready, it would be a shame to have a PCP who would be discouraging.

msmarrie
on 4/22/17 4:23 pm

No, there was no repeated swelling. This was the first and only time I have had any "side effect" from my band.

msmarrie
on 4/22/17 4:19 pm
Topic: RE: now a useless tool!!

I am sorry you are going through this. I'm pretty sure you can file a grievance with your insurance company documenting everything that has happened with this Dr. I would also file a grievance with your state medical board as it doesn't seem this Dr. has a legitimate medical reason for not filling yoour band.

msmarrie
on 4/13/17 9:25 pm
Topic: RE: Dilated Esophagus

Thanks for your kind words! I am doing terrible, LOL. It could be worse though, I still have a little restriction just from the band being there. I eat the same kinds of foods I ate before and while I do eat more than I did with my band it's a small increase (per my daughter and fiance) but it is still enough for me to have gained about 30 lbs since my last Dr's visit.

msmarrie
on 4/11/17 9:32 pm

Thanks for responding. I wrote a novel in my post so maybe I wasn't clear on some things.

I have had my band for 14 years now and it has been great. I'm not sure where you got the idea I was having an immune response. I don't need a revision but I would like one a. because it has been 14 years since my surgery and b. because I would like to be able to have more restriction since my current band only holds 4cc.

Although the mechanics are the same, my band is significantly smaller than the newer ones and it seems if he mentioned that they position the port differently now but I am not sure. Someone who is not familiar with the smaller, older model and tried to do a blind fill could make the mistake of trying to overfill it and of course, that would not be a good thing.

I am happy with my surgical choice and will be sticking with it. I am not at all interested in having such an invasive surgery or having any portion of my stomach removed.

When I got my band I had a coworker who went in for gastric bypass at the same time, I was back at work and she was still in the hospital for weeks and at home for months due to complications. And after all of that she never had any significant weight loss.

I have another former coworker whose 20 something year old boyfriend ended up in ICU and died on the operating table during bypass surgery.

I have been acquainted with so many people who have either developed major health issues, surgical complications and gaining all of their weight back + (an RN I knew at the hospital where I used to work weighed close to 400 lbs after having previously had bypass surgery).

I'm good with the band.

msmarrie
on 4/8/17 11:10 pm
Topic: RE: ReBanding...info needed

I know this is an old post but I will respond just in case. I was banded in 2003, went from 311 to 150ish but felt better at a weight of 170ish. My last fill was in 2009 and when I decided I wanted a fill and a check up about a year ago I was at 190 and was starting to feel like I really needed a fill.

I never had any complications with my band. The Dr. did find my esophagus was dilated even though I had no symptoms, but from what he could tell everything else was where it should be.

I may be having my band replaced after we determine the fate of my esophagus. I too am wondering about the newer options because after all the research I did when first deciding to be banded, I don't want the invasive procedures.

I think a lot of the complications come from not having a great surgeon in the first place and not being willing to change eating habits, but of course there are some exceptions because everything isn't for everybody.

Please give a follow-up and let us know what you decided because my time will be coming soon.

msmarrie
on 4/8/17 10:47 pm
Topic: RE: Dilated Esophagus

I had the same issue, I have been banded since 2003. I had no symptoms and only found out because I went to get a fill. The Dr. emptied my band to try to let my esophagus rest but I wasn't put on any kind of special diet.

Unfortunately, during the time I was resting my esophagus, I lost my job and haven't been able to return for a fill or follow-up so I can't comment on the restriction portion.

msmarrie
on 4/8/17 10:42 pm

Hi, I used to be a member of these forums YEARS ago now I'm back! A little background, I was

A little background, I was banded in 2003 and got to my goal weight of 150 from 311, 290 day of surgery but I felt more comfortable being 170ish. I was banded in Texas, moved to California in 2008 and had my very last fill ever around 2009 because I didn't have the money or insurance that covered fills. Fast forward to 2016, finally had insurance that would cover my band maintenance. Went to get a fill, weight 190 (not bad for no fill in 7 years). Found that I had a swollen esophagus which I had never had any symptoms of. Dr. emptied my band to let my esophagus rest and hopefully heal. I was supposed to wait few months and go for a follow-up and possibly a fill. There was a student in with the Dr during my fluoroscopy and the Dr. was educating him on my now vintage Lap Band. The student had no idea how many cc's my band could hold and honestly I couldn't remember either.

Fast forward to 2016, finally had insurance that would cover my band maintenance. Went to get a fill, weight 190 (not bad for no fill in 7 years). Found that I had a swollen esophagus which I had never had any symptoms of. Dr. emptied my band to let my esophagus rest and hopefully heal. I was supposed to wait a few months and go for a follow-up and possibly a fill. There was a student in with the Dr during my fluoroscopy and the Dr. was educating him on my now "vintage" Lap Band. The student had no idea how many cc's my band could hold or the mechanics of it and honestly I couldn't remember either.

During the interim, I lost my job and was not able to return for follow-up. I will be receiving Medi-cal soon which I know pays for weight loss surgery. My question is does anyone know if Medicaid (Medi-cal) would pay for me to have a newer model? It never occurred to me that my band is now obsolete and I may come across a Dr. who would have no idea what do do with it. Is it even possible for me to get my band replaced at this point?

On a side note, my weight is now 230

Thanks in advance!

Most Active