Why The Sleeve?

Lupie007
on 9/5/12 7:58 pm - Canada
For all u Lupies that have had WLS, why did you choose the sleeve?
Personally, I want to be able to continue All my current Meds (nasaids included). Plus whatever they throw at me in the next 50 yrs!!
Concern - future prednisone use! Ugh. Will that stretch my sleeve and make me balloon up again??

The ones that say "you cant" and "you won't" are probably the ones scared that "you will"!!

(screw the haters)

Lupie 007

CW 255 5'7  Dr Hagen  VSG  January 28, 2013

JazzyOne9254
on 9/9/12 8:49 pm, edited 9/9/12 1:50 am

Once you lose weight, you will be amazed at the choices you may have in treating your SLE symptoms, chief among them, pain, and keeping flares away.

Prednisone helped me get up to 405 pounds. I have the full DS now, and once I lost the weight, there were more options. Plaquenil now works for me. I only get a prednisone taper in the event of a severe flare (treatable at home, but must stay in bed!) I have only been hospitalized once since my surgery, and that was due to pneumonia.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Lupie007
on 9/10/12 12:31 pm - Canada
So, tell me how you FEEL now that you weigh 160 ish versus 405? I mean with your lupus?
Can u walk far, run, go upstairs without thinking, are you more active bc there is less of you haul around, do you want to get out of bed now (I never do unless it's worthwhile or I have no choice).
Are your body aches gone, less foggy?
I just want to know, if lupus wise, I WILL be better with this weight loss? I'm in a dark place, need hope.
Btw have you gained weight with any prednisone use since you had the DS? So afraid of that. Got kidney and lung issues.
Thanks for your time
Trisha

The ones that say "you cant" and "you won't" are probably the ones scared that "you will"!!

(screw the haters)

Lupie 007

CW 255 5'7  Dr Hagen  VSG  January 28, 2013

JazzyOne9254
on 10/18/12 4:52 pm, edited 10/18/12 4:56 pm
I think many surgeons are afraid to do the full DS on many patients because of the autoimmune issues, and the shock that a big surgery might have on the body, setting off a major flare.  My surgeon was concerned, but we agreed the benefits outweighed the risks, and she kept me in the hospital a full week post-op, just in case I went into a major flare.

I feel like a different person.  I no longer use my mobility scooter, and I no longer need my cane on a daily basis.  If my balance is a little off, I may use it for a day or two, but other than that, I'm feeling pretty near normal!

I am no longer on long term prednisone.  Prednisone is something that I will get only during severe flares, and pre-op, that was quite often.  I have only had to take a prednisone taper *once* since my DS, and that was before I lost the majority of my weight.

Now, I'm simply doing the basic SLE/Fibro drug ****tail - Plaquenil, Cymbalta, Lyrica, Tramadol 1st line for pain, Vicodin 2nd line for pain, and Flexeril. Of course, I have my vites and minerals to take as well, and I still do protein shakes.  NEVER let go of them completely, no matter what the doctor or dietitian tells you!  We simply can't eat enough to maintain the protein levels we need.   I can e-mail you my personal schedule of what I do if you send me your e-mail address.
I also have Vitalady's list for her DS and deficiency packages.  Let me know if you want that as well. My e-mail is [email protected]

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Lupie007
on 10/18/12 7:48 pm - Canada
Thanks for this! Today I'm heading to my first 3 appts with dietitican, nut, social worker.
My email is [email protected].
I'm wondering if u had any major organ problems before the DS? I have. Lungs and kidneys.
Also...how is your fatique now? Still napping as much?
Thanks for info! I hope u continue to get better!!
Trisha
Most Active
Recent Topics
Planquenil
imkewar · 6 replies · 1737 views
Lupus flares
jane235 · 5 replies · 2052 views
I need some advice
jhadsmith · 0 replies · 2172 views
Testing symbol
Kathy S. · 0 replies · 2952 views
Test