How does WLS effect Lymphedema?

abruchis
on 11/15/06 2:06 am - gainesville, GA
Howdy all! I have battled LD in my lower left leg for years, and also Cellulitis. I could never get hose to fit because of the size of my legs. My question is, will the loss of weight (in my case at least 200 pounds) effect the severity of the actual condition, or will it just make it easier to treat (I can get into those sexy sexy hose) Any info you can share would be beyond helpful! Thanks so much.
kathiesue
on 11/20/06 5:13 am - Hendersonville, TN
Hello! I have had lymphedema for 25 years, due to having my lymph nodes removed in my right leg (from melanoma in that leg). I wore surgical hose everyday for 1 year. I do still have problems with swelling, especially, when I go shopping, or I am standing for a long time. You might try Williams Surgical Supply in Nashville, or Ed's Medical Supply in Hendersonville, they could possibly order them for you. It is worth a try! ksm Lap Band post op since Oct. 26th, 2006 PS, since I have lost some weight, it has made a difference. My leg, doesn't seem to swell as bad, because there is less weight to carry! I hope this helps!
(deactivated member)
on 12/8/06 4:03 pm
Hi Aaron, I have it in both legs ( for about 6 years) the surgery and weight loss will help the swelling because of the reduced work load on the lymph system. It won't cure it, but will make it more manageable. Have you had manual lymph drainage? If not I highly recommend it, as well as being fitted for custom hose ( if your insurance pays for them) I use compression wraps and hose to keep mine under control. I've had cellulitis in the past and I DON'T want to go there again that's for sure. The more you keep them wrapped, do the massage to keep the lymph fluid drained, the lower your chance of having problems. Most larger hospitals have lymphedema therapists as well as Benchmark Physical Therapy, if you have one of those in your area has them at certain locations. Best of luck and hope this helps.
Most Active