Therapy while suffering from Cellulitis??

leighcy
on 1/24/07 6:11 am
I recently saw a Lymphedema therapist/MD to get treatment for a very annoying and persistent case of Cellulitis, and was put on two different antibiotics plus Neurontin for the burning. Okay, that's all well and good, but I was also referred to start therapy (including lymph drainage, compression, the works) in a few weeks, and at this point, I don't see the cellulitis being gone by then. As of now, I can't even touch it on certain areas due to the pain, and everything I read online says that you should NEVER start therapy while suffering from Cellultis. So is my doctor wrong or am I wrong? I really am very wary of this whole situation, and while I really like the doctor (she has a special interest in lymphedema), I'm concerned that this is the wrong thing to do and am considering cancelling the whole thing until I get better. Any advice or opinions?
Amy Williams
on 1/24/07 6:17 am
Cynthia, Any really good therapist is going to tell you NOT to have therapy until the cellulitis resolved first. What can happen is the fluid that is infected basically will move and the infection can spread. I don't know of any therapist that is trained who would attempt to do this. You'd run a really big risk of moving that infection to other areas. I hope this helps. I would call and reschedule or you may still go to get their opinion on the matter too. Good luck! Amy
Most Active