Can anyone figure this one out ???

klemeeri
on 7/30/08 4:47 am, edited 8/22/08 10:37 pm
SYMPTOMS:   My right foot and ankle have been swollen for about 1 year. Can be very painful at times. Pressing fingers into skin leaves a divot. Usually wear pressure stockings or sleep with it elevated. Mornings are most comfortable and then goes downhill from there. Cholesterol and BP are perfect.  About 30 pounds overweight.  Heart is perfect.  Left leg is fine.  I've had every test done you can think of.... all inconclusive.  No one can figure this out and I am sick of it. 

TESTS: Just had lymphscintigraphy yesterday and the results were confusing. Left leg started clearing the radioactive tracer immediately..... right foot had no clearance for over an hour.  I was excited because finally a test showed something was broke but the fact that it eventually DID clear is very confusing.  After the hour elapsed, the tracer made it's way up the right leg, through the groin area and on towards the liver.  During the entire test, I was laying flat and steady.  They took xrays continously to watch the tracer move.  This went from 800am till 9:30am.  I was released and told to come back at 11am for the full body xray.  That's when they confirmed that both legs cleared out the tracer.

But here I am, 24 hrs later and my foot is still swollen and hurting like crazy.

QUESTION: what would cause it take over an hour before it started to clear the tracer out ?? What other tests could be done ? Could the trouble leg have blockage somewhere else that is acting like a garden hose when kinked ???  Could some anatomical problem be constricting things and causing the lymph system to malfunction ?

HELP !!!
klemeeri
on 8/22/08 10:36 pm
Batwingsman
on 10/15/08 4:00 am, edited 10/15/08 4:01 am - Garland, TX
Sorry, I never did have that test done, myself ..  A little afraid of them sticking needles between each of my toes!   ugh    Congrats on having the courage to do it!

You might try asking this question on the Men W. Lymphedema Yahoo newsgroup ..  Pat, our founder, knows a lot about that test and has had many of them done on himself over the years  ..  Hopefully he or one of the other members can give you some answers ..  

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

Most Active