Questions

Mary M.
on 11/20/09 12:56 am - Minneapolis, MN

I have struggled with much edema as I carried around up to 427 pounds (highest weight).  I had Rny at 384 on Sept 30, 2009 (just about 8 weeks ago).  A couple of times I had a sore area on the back of my calf that would "weep" a clear liquid.  The doctor prescribed an antibiotic shortly before my surgery and it seemed to clear it up.  A few weeks ago it returned with a vengeance.  I've been on a 14 day antibiotic and it seems to be dripping less and healing.  I keep it covered with a gauze pad each day, keep clean and dry.   I had tried a prescription ointment my doctor wanted me to try.

Anyway, that seems to be healing and I have lost about 46 pounds since my presurgery-preliquid diet dates (I was at 399).  I have lost that weight on top.  My legs are still quite swollen and can't fit into many of my smaller or jean pants yet. 

I sure hope it gets better.  Does it get better/

Mary

"Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you CAN do."  John Wooden

I'm down 120 pounds - thanks to RNY!  Working on the next 25.  Then I'll tackle more...
maris_38
on 11/20/09 10:07 am - Orlando, FL
Hi Mary - Congrats on your weight loss!

Weeping + edema is really not a good sign.  When your edema goes untreated (and by untreated I mean you aren't using manual lymph drainage and compression and physical therapy to reduce the edema and then maintain the reduction with compression garments) the skin will break down. Weeping, open wounds, ulcers etc are the result, and with the edema the wounds are very slow to heal (with severe edema, they sometimes don't heal).

I would strongly, strongly recommend you get tested to know the source of your edema - it could be vascular or lymph, and the treatments vary.  For example - if it's Lymphedema, one of the side effects is very dry skin (which can make skin more likely to break down) - so you need to use a quality lotion and apply religiously to keep the skin hydrated and supple.

In my case, the weight loss has improved my Lymphedema, but it has not eliminated it.  I still use compression garments (though i can now use off the shelf socks) and ensure I'm caring for the skin religiously.

Here's some links you might like to check out - but please don't delay in getting proper treatment for the underlying cause of the wound - otherwise you could end up with more of them.  It does get better - but you need to treat it first.  The most frustrating thing is that Lymphedema is not generally well understood even by medical professionals - so you really need to push your doctor to help you to deal with the edema, and not just the weeping skin.

www.medicinenet.com/breast_cancer_and_lymphedema/article.htm

www.lymphnotes.com/

Best of luck!
Sarahlicious
on 1/4/10 10:45 am - Portsmouth, OH
Hi Maris,

You're right up the road from me...you are well versed on LE...and give great advice. Maybe we can have coffee or lunch next time I'm up that way...I have a very good friend *****cently moved to Orlando.

Sarah

I have Lipedema and Lymphedema. I also have a passion for Obesity and Health Insurance Advocacy

Blog: born2lbfat.com Facebook: Born2lbFat Twitter: @born2lbfat

maris_38
on 1/13/10 10:00 am - Orlando, FL
Hey Sarah,

Would love to meet up with you any time you're in town!  I've enjoyed following your posts on all the boards I've seen you on.

As for the LE - that's a high compliment considering that you're the authority!  I guess two years of nagging from my nurse practitioner before I got treated finally sank in (that and the pain of constantly putting off doing anything about it).  Guess I had to learn the hard way!
Most Active