Chronic wounds

michelle463042002
on 4/16/11 11:53 am - chesterton, IN
Hello everyone, this is my very first post  :)   
 I am just in the beginning stages of my weight loss adventures, so I am a complete nub  lol  I have a question to ask, does anyone here have or have had Chronic Wounds? I have had one huge one on my lower right leg for 5 years now, and a smaller one on my left for the past 2. My wound doctor basically said that I wont ever heal until I lose weight. I have never been diagnosed with L:ymphedema professionally, but the nurses agree that it seems like I do have it . My legs aren't swollen to the point of  complete deformation, but they are swollen. I use the special socks and keep my legs up as much as I can. Due to my wounds, I havent been able to work, the pain is so extreme that I am on enough pain meds to kill a horse. Oh, sorry, Ive been rambling on and on...lol  What my original question was - did anyone suffer from wounds and then have the surgery and have them heal and go away. I really need some good news, these things are really getting me down, they have completely changed my life style.  Any help or information would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks very much, and great to be here,

Michelle
missnanajean
on 4/21/11 11:30 am - Friendswood, TX
Hi Michelle, I have chronic rash and wounds on both shins and lymphedema. I  had RNY 17 mo.s ago I am now half the woman I was then and my legs are slowly clearing up as the weight has gone down. I can feel your pain but have never had to take pain medicine for the wounds but for my osteoarthyritis. I now do not have to take RX medications except for vitamins on a regular basis. The RNY saved my life and I have had so many WOW moments and am feeling better and better every day. I still wear compression pantihose but a much smaller size. Good Luck with your journey!
  Miss  Jean   
TheHelly
on 5/10/11 7:08 am - Pascoag, RI
RNY on 12/11/12
 If you are in that much pain I question if you have cellulitis.  It's common with those with Lymphedema.

I have a large area that started out as a wound but is now just like superficial.  When I have cellulitis it will exude fluid.  Sometimes if I'm retaining a bit more fluid that I should it also exudes fluid.  My old wound care place used to say the fluid takes the path of least resistance.  If you have an open area... the fluid will pass through that instead of working it's way through your lymphatic system to process through the kidneys.

But again... getting back to the pain... I've pretty much been on Vicodin for the last 3 years for pain.  When my areas are draining the pain is extreme... like stabbing zings of electricity.  It's awful.  But the Vicodin really helps.  Losing weight will definitely help because you'll lose fluid, which will ultimately help your wounds... and they will eventually dry up.  Try leaving them out to the air at night while sleeping.  I find it really helps.  Compression the rest of the time.

Good luck!
michelle463042002
on 5/10/11 10:58 am - chesterton, IN
thank you all for your replys , Any good news gives me hope!
Most Active