WLS and Lymphedema

Julie J.
on 3/2/13 7:14 pm - NV

I got Lymphedema after my fourth and final spine surgery nine years ago. I am hoping to get my WLS ASAP. (When it gets approved by ins.) I am scared to death to get the surgery because of the lymphedema and high risk of blood clots. Did anyone have any issues with this after their WLS?

Michelle R.
on 3/20/13 6:03 am - Falls Church, VA

I have untreated lymphedema.  Working on getting that taken care of.  My surgeon had offered to put in a mesh of some sort to keep possible clots from traveling up.  Its been so long I honestly can't remember but you should probably ask.  Also before surgery I was checked and rechecked for clots.  I had two dopplers to make sure everything was okay.

jdruski
on 3/29/13 1:16 pm - Philadelphia, PA

Ask you GBS about a Vena Cava Filter.  My doc was not taking any chances so I had one inserted the day before and I opted to keep it.  From my understanding it is like a fan that when hit by a clot spins it until it disolves.  they insert it in your groin and you are good to go.  If you have any questions please feel free to PM me.  I have lymph in my lower part of my legs.  I chose not to go the wrapping route.

Jeanne

Julie J.
on 3/29/13 1:51 pm - NV

Mine is treated and has been under control for about 10 years. Do you think that changes things for surgery?

jdruski
on 3/29/13 2:49 pm - Philadelphia, PA

Depends on the surgeon.  The odds that any surgeon would have touched either of my legs for surgery was slim to none.  Through shear luck.  I have never lost all my weight, I had a lot to begin with and I managed to get it down to a number that most people start at.  I have had a panni, an open RNY, another pani, tummy tuck and hernia repairs and then each knee one at a time.  I am over 50, overweight but that is it.  Otherwise I am very healthy and very persuasive.  I took many tests and yes was cleared to go on all these surgeries.  They were all within  a 9 year period.  

I hope that they are able to do it for you as the less you way the better it is for your legs in general.  If you don't mind me asking did your leg become deformed?  I went to look into treatment and when they told me about the wrapping, the amount of time that the wraps had to be on daily and there was no guarentee, I opted not to do it.  Now that I back on my weight loss track, I am going to find out what can be done.  

Talk to your surgeon.  You and your body have been through a lot that may be a plus for you.  Let me know how it all goes.

Best of luck.

Jeanne

Julie J.
on 3/29/13 2:57 pm - NV

Nooo..my legs are not scarred or deformed. I did the wraps and the MLD within in weeks of getting the lymphedema. It was related to my last spine surgery. The vascular surgeon damaged my lymph nodes cutting into my stomach to move everything aside so the orthopedic surgeon could do his job. I moved VERY quickly after I heard how dangerous lymphedema could be. Only residual effects I have now are my feet get swollen in the summer and I have a hard time finding shoes.  Mine was not weight related. Oh, and you may ask me anything you like. I have no secrets:)

Sarahlicious
on 5/17/13 1:45 pm - Portsmouth, OH

I developed a DVT 18 months after WLS so blood clot was not a concern for WLS but for my hernia repair and panni removal I had an IVC filter placed, but just a temporary one as they were concerned if a permanent one might later cause complications with the lymphedema. I also had to be on Lovenox injections as precautionary measure afterwards.

I have Lipedema and Lymphedema. I also have a passion for Obesity and Health Insurance Advocacy

Blog: born2lbfat.com Facebook: Born2lbFat Twitter: @born2lbfat

pram81
on 12/18/13 12:32 am
VSG on 12/18/13
How did you know you had a DVT? I am sitting waiting for my VSG surgery as I type and that makes me so nervous, especially with the lymphedema. Is there an increased risk of DVT with lymphedema after WLS?
Sarahlicious
on 12/22/13 5:34 am - Portsmouth, OH

Hi,

I actually had cellulitis at the same time, and the symptoms are similar...redness, warmth, pain. Typically when I would have cellultiis they would do an ultrasound of my legs to be sure it wasn't a blood clot and this time it was BOTH. Fun fun fun! But again this was 18 months after my RNY not surgery related, most likely the fact the infection (cellulitis) inflammed the valves in the blood vessels and previous infections had damaged them, then because I was in pain i wasn't moving leg that much, it was a weekend a hurricane came by Miami, where I lived at the time, so I waited a day while my doctor got me directly admitted to the hospital. Just be sure to ask your surgeon about any precautions they may take, like post op blood thinner shots, etc...if he feels you are at higher risk...and always get up and walk right after surgery, just a few steps can do wonders to keep the blood moving.

I have Lipedema and Lymphedema. I also have a passion for Obesity and Health Insurance Advocacy

Blog: born2lbfat.com Facebook: Born2lbFat Twitter: @born2lbfat

pram81
on 12/22/13 8:14 am
VSG on 12/18/13
Great advice! I am 4 days post-op now and on Lovenox for 2 weeks just to be safe.
Most Active