I need help

SarahC
on 8/27/05 8:26 am - San Diego, CA
Hi. I had gastric bypass in February of '03, and went from 305 to about 125. In December of '04 I had a circumferential abdominoplasty. I had no complications with either surgery. My mother has primary LE, all over.. not just her legs. I know that I am a risk for LE, and had no symptoms until 2 months ago. Since then, I have gained about 25 lbs, primarily in my upper legs. I am unable to pull my jeans up over my thighs. In May, I noticed a little swelling (around my period). I went to my GYN and he gave me Dyazide to take on the days when I felt swelling. I took it more often, and took an over the counter diuretic at the same time. I don't know what I did to myself, but something is NOT right. I am wondering if maybe this is secondary lymphedema and maybe they damaged my lymph vessles in the inguinal area during my abdominoplasty. Maybe it is primary lymphedema and just now appearing the way it did with my mom. Perhaps it is all caused from the *almost* diuretic abuse for the past few months. What if it is a true kidney problem?? I made an appointment for the 1st of September. I am not really looking for answers from those reading this, just someone who understands my frustration. I know that this gain is not caused by overeating. There is no way that I have eaten enough to gain 25 lbs in the last two months. The swelling is primarily in my thighs and a little bit in my calves. It is not really painful. It is somewhat relieved by elevation, but it is hard to tell because I still have a lot of excess skin on my upper thighs. I am so depressed and it taps in my worst fear and greatest nightmare.. regain and being fat again. Please help!
Sarahlicious
on 8/27/05 12:10 pm - Portsmouth, OH
Hi Sarah, I too have lymphedema and it is caused from lipodema, an abnormal accumalation of sub-sutaneous fat in my hips, legs, and upper arms. I too get frustrated from the weight gain from fluid. My surgeon doesn't quite get it and wants to know why I am not yet at target. She hasn't seen me since March and since April I have gained about 25lbs also, and like you no way is it from eating habits. I mean I never gained that much before surgery and I was eating fast food everyday and about a 2-liter of Mountain Dew. It's definately better to catch this in the begining and get treatment then compression garments. The surgery you had could have very well have disrupted your lymph system. I know even when I had my open RNY my lymph doctor and surgeon said my legs could get worse from the surgery. I didn't know about the lipodema then, and now find out that the surgery really only helped me lose weight above the waist. E-mail me anytime you'd like, Sarah B.
Rebecca B.
on 8/29/05 1:19 pm - Bradford, PA
Girls... I know nothing about this condition, but I feel so bad for you both. Do you think that it was as a result from your WLS or is it genetic or simply from your ps. I don't know what to say to you other then I will pray for you! You have worked so hard to lose and now this. Prayerfully Rebecca
Sarahlicious
on 8/30/05 9:54 am - Portsmouth, OH
Mine was present before surgery, it one of the reasons I weighed over 500lbs. Lipodema is congenital, from my genes, but not nessesarily heriditary. My lymphedema is caused from the weight of the excess fat from the lipodema putting pressure on the lymph nodes and causing them not to function properly.
Vicuna
on 9/4/05 8:34 am - Herminie, PA
Hi, I have Lymphedema. Until reading the letters that your post brought out, I hadn't thought about my gain being from it. I have only gained 10 pounds, but it is up and down, which should have clued me in to being from the swelling of my right leg primarily. I haven't been receiving any treatment and haven't been wearing my hose because they are too big now. I am going to get back to my Doc and begin treatment on them again. I have the pump but have no faith in it, and after reading the others stories realize it must be outdated. I will send my prayers to you all and will appreciate yours. Hugs, Vicki
Sarahlicious
on 9/5/05 10:43 am - Portsmouth, OH
The pump is what I had in the beginning, I still have it but don't use it, for one thing the sleeve is too big now. I wear compression garments during the day and night have a reid sleeve for both legs. Sarah
Most Active