Recent Posts

Barbarahobsonwhiting
on 4/5/22 8:46 am
Topic: RE: Lymphedema in arm resulting from cosmetic brachioplasty

I had brachioplasty on Jan 5 2022. Approx 4 weeks after my surgery I noticed my right hand swelling. Several days later, I noticed my forearm swelling. It has slowly progressed from nothing at all to mild swelling and noticeable to me but not others. My PS has put me in a regular sleeve for compression and explained he doesn't know how long this will take to resolve. That is where I am right now. Left on my own to figure this out. My PS also stated he had never seen this (after 25 years?). This is more of a risk factor than Plastic Surgeons are letting on. No where in the Informed Consent was this risk mentioned. Would like a support group for those of us who have Lympodema as a result of a brachioplasty.

donna39
on 5/8/19 9:22 am - FL
Topic: RE: Lymphedema Mass Removal?
Thank you for responding. Yes the doctor couldn't remove all of my mass neither. So low carb diet will help. I have been eating wrong. I have to get back right regardless. Well the doctor won't do anything more surgery until I lose more weight. So thank you again.

Donna SW- 363   CW- 326  GW- 230              VS 04/25/2013 Dr. M. Jawad

spiritwolf32
on 3/13/19 6:55 pm, edited 3/13/19 11:55 am

I'm doing a lot better. I've had more surgeries since I posted my message and have had other masses taken off. I still have some Lymphedema because the doctor was afraid to remove too much right now. I know there's no cure for it so I will have to manage my leg with compression, but since the masses have been removed so that they aren't huge, I can move much better and have come down about 60 lbs from just the Lymphedema.

My body also retains fluid. I have learned that a low carb diet helps with the swelling. I found that out when I stopped eating right and my legs got worse.

I hope everything works out and you can get some relief from it. I know how hard it is. I lived with it for over 20 years and still am, but it's possible to get the swelling down some and keep it under control a bit more.

donna39
on 3/12/19 3:40 pm - FL
Topic: Hard to know your weight with Lymphedema
I had a lymph nodes transplant in 2016. I had so much trouble with the healing process. Now the surgeon said I have to lose 110lbs before he will do another transplant and skin removel. My weight goes up and down to to having chronic lymphedema. Is there anybody going through or went through the same situation I'm facing. I have gained some weight back after revision surgery. I need help getting back on track also.

donna39
on 3/12/19 3:28 pm - FL
Hello I was wondering how is your lymphedema doing. Mine is starting to get worst. My weight to up and down. I don't know my real weight. My body retain the fluid. It's just hard make me want to give up at time but I know I can't.

donna39
on 3/12/19 3:24 pm - FL
Hello I had a large mass removed off the back going towards in inner thigh. I have chronic lymphedema in both legs. In my left leg worst than the right. It was a slow healing process due to lose skin. My doctor said he should of taken some off first. Hope all is well with you know

zoozie
on 8/13/18 6:34 pm
VSG on 05/23/18
Topic: RE: Help please

I can relate.. I have colitis and I am on a ton of meds. I had major worries about getting surgery on a part of my body that was already in crisis. I have been on prednisone for years and on a 20mg daily dose daily. So I never really lost weight presurgery and had many conversations with my primary, gastro, surgeon, and pharmacist. It's scary, really scary, I worried about what effect the prednisone would have, like would I even lose weight while on it, but the benefits outweighed the risks and I just could not gain anymore. This was an option that could possibly help and I couldn't refuse it. All of that said, I teased all my doctors about me being a train wreck and a challenge. Thankfully they all took me on and I am post op and losing. I say talk to your doctors...ask all the questions and really think about it...but i would guess you will find it will be worth it. best of wishes

zoozie
on 8/13/18 6:33 pm
VSG on 05/23/18

I can relate.. I have colitis and I am on a ton of meds. I had major worries about getting surgery on a part of my body that was already in crisis. I have been on prednisone for years and on a 20mg daily dose daily. So I never really lost weight presurgery and had many conversations with my primary, gastro, surgeon, and pharmacist. It's scary, really scary, I worried about what effect the prednisone would have, like would I even lose weight while on it, but the benefits outweighed the risks and I just could not gain anymore. This was an option that could possibly help and I couldn't refuse it. All of that said, I teased all my doctors about me being a train wreck and a challenge. Thankfully they all took me on and I am post op and losing. I say talk to your doctors...ask all the questions and really think about it...but i would guess you will find it will be worth it. best of wishes

spiritwolf32
on 7/15/18 12:36 am

I'm sure I will forget some things but my advice is to first make sure you can still take your meds once the weight loss surgery is done. I was told by my doctor that some medication of mine had to be stopped or switched. Of course from the date of your post you may have already done that.

I am not sure about the meds you are taking but you could check to see if there are alternative medications that won't cause all those side-effects. Being on medications that causes weight gain seems hard.

Just keep working closely with the doctors and nutritionists if available. It seems to me that if you lost weight before and were on those same medications, then it could happen again. The main goal will be to maintain the weight loss until you reach your goal and then to keep it off.

I'm sorry if this doesn't help but I think a doctor would be better suited to answer this one. Good luck with everything. I hope it all works out.

spiritwolf32
on 7/15/18 12:28 am

This is several months late but maybe it will help others.

I have Lymphedema, mostly on my thighs. I have large masses hanging on them but my whole left leg is swollen all the time. I had a very large mass on my left side and a small one on my right, both on my abdomen, which I had removed before my weight loss surgery because it was hindering my mobility too much. The mass on my left side weighed 33 pounds and the smaller was 4 pounds. Recovery was hard for the first week, but it was well worth the surgery. It not only removed the pounds but I can now get up and down much easier.

I also have a mass on my left breast which bugs me and I am hoping to have it removed one day.

I am having another mass removed from my upper thigh on July 20th this year. The mass hangs over my knee causing a lot of pressure which is also keeping me from walking much. I am nervous, but looking forward to having it gone. The rest of my Lymphedema will most likely wait until I reach my final weight loss goal, but I don't regret what I have already had taken off and what will be removed later this week. It does help tremendously with mobility. Just make sure to talk to your doctor and together decide if it's the best option at the time.

Most Active