Hello

TamikaM
on 9/6/04 2:29 am - Baltimore, MD
I've always been interested in martial arts but because of my weight I never pursued it. Well I went to enroll my son who has ADHD in a school and the instructor was very interested in helping me he said even at my current size I can start out training. He also wants me to buy some supplements called Advocare I'm trying to decide what to do have you ever run accross anyone who a size 30-32 womens doing Taekwondo do you think maybe he just wants to sell me stuff. I just don't know I'm so suspicious of everyone but he seemed very honest. Well hope to hear someone elses opinion. Bright Blessings
lisageo
on 9/9/04 2:38 pm - Murfreesboro, TN
I am currently in Taekwondo with my husband and our five children. I am currently a green belt along with my children and my husband is brown belt. Three of our boys are ADHD. I believe you can do anything you set your mind to. We started this last year in June 2003 and my husband had done this before. Lisa
GWilliamson
on 9/22/04 8:22 am - Irmo, SC
Many instructors will adapt the program for you. In a good program, it is a great workout and an incentive based reward system. I made it to Sr 1st degree black belt weighing 265 lbs. I will admit, I had to work twice as hard as the skinny little people, but it was worth it. I had to take a sabbatical June '03 after knee surgery. Now that I have had my WLS, I am just waiting a few more months to get some more weight off and strenghten the knee before I go back, but I can't wait. I want my 2nd degree bad. There were people larger than me in our class. Although they will never be able to do the jump kicks as beautifully as the more able bodied, they are stronger in other areas. I know I learn something from everyone at TKD regardless of their abilities. Overweight people tend to be more precise with their movement and more well grounded in the knowledge of the art. Older people tend to have better balance. And as for the tiny young people, they teach me that humans can fly. Good Luck Gwen
MikeB
on 10/4/04 1:37 am - Pottstown, PA
Hello Tamika, I was reading your post about the instructor who says you can start training now and to buy the supplements. What were his reasons for having you buy the supplements? There is no reason why you can't start training now. I am currently training for my Brown Belt in Kenpo karate. When I started training I weighed 527Lbs. that was a little over 2 years ago. My primary instructor has never tried to sell me any type of supplements nor has the owner of the school who is an 8th degree black belt. Now I'm 3 months post op down approx 100 lbs and class is great. What I'm saying is If you want to do it then give it a shot, but stay away from the supplements. you don't need them. Mike
mcvickerfan
on 12/3/04 3:30 am - McKinney, TX
Mike, Can I ask how in the world you were able to train at 527? I was 575 before surgery and it was all I could do to walk 20 ft. I used to be in incredible shape before I got heavy and I am pretty young(27) so I was curious how you did that. I started training about 9 months ago and I have lost almost 100 since then. I believe my starting training weight was about 350 or so but it could have been as high as 380. Anyway, congrats on the Kempo, I'm in Hapkido and love it. Wouldn't trade it for anything. Rick M.
Krista F.
on 11/6/04 7:43 am - Temecula, CA
Hi Tamika, I started taking Taekwondo at 238lbs. size 24 womans, I was 2 months post op from surgery. The Master and other instructors of the school helped me get started and kept me motivated to continue. it has been the greatest thing for me, both mentally and physically, I have lost over 125 lbs. and as to date need no plastic surgery for loose skin. I highly recomend it to anyone and especially people who have had gastric bypass surgery.
SherrieD
on 11/13/04 9:02 am - Springfield, MO
Hi Tamika I'm also in Tae Kwon Do as is all my family. I have a 10 yr. old daughter who is a 1st degree black belt and so is my husband. I'm currently a high green belt and my youngest daughter (5) is a white belt. I'm currently not working out but plan to go back after the 1st of the year. And as all the others have said it is a great way to get in shape and stay in shape. I'm waiting for my Dr. to release me back to that level of workouts and to get a little more weight off would be nice. I'm post-op and 1 month out, so far I've lost 25 lbs. and I feel I could almost go back. It has been great for my entire family and for my daughters the Owner/Master Instructor is a 5th degree black belt and female!!! I thought this would be great to them to see that women can do this and be very successful at it also!. I'd say go for it, just work up slow and easy, if it gets to much then back it down a bit, but you will be able to work back up when you get ready. And breaking boards is very empowering thing to know that you know how to and can do it! Good Luck Sherrie -25 lbs.
nnealon
on 11/15/04 2:02 am - San Jose, CA
I tried the Advocare program. Be VERY careful. Advocare is a company that works like Amway. They make money by promoting people to sell the product. A friend of mine was really into it. The products are OK, but many of them are not absorbed well in our pouches. Do your research yourself. You do not need to be on these supliments to do Taekwondo. I am currently working a kick boxing belt system, and I hope to start taekwondo in January. Nancy
MagickalMom
on 1/30/05 6:00 am - Joint Base Lewis McChord, WA
Start training girl! You can do anything that you put your mind to! I started learning right along side my son even though I was not enrolled since I needed to know the patterns in order to help my son practice at home. Yeah it was harder for me at 257 but I was able to do it. My son and hubby both do TKD and personally I cann't wait until I am healed enough from surgery so that I can enroll formally! My only thing I that I hate to buy the kicks & punches until I am a bit smaller. Perhaps they will let me borrow some until I am down further in my weight or something. I already have to buy uniforms in the higher sizes and keep buying new ones as I loose weight... thank goodness for eBay! LOL! Brightest Blessings for a Wonderful Day~ Jamie M. Weight- 257/234/146 BMI- 44.1/40.2/25 Height- 5' 4" Surgery Date: 1/19/05 )o( No matter what size, we are all Gods & Goddesses inside!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Akido or Ju Jitsu
nursevil · 0 replies · 328 views
Awesome Board
Xavier Smith · 1 replies · 302 views
TKD withdraws
~Beautiful Dreamer~ · 2 replies · 329 views