Looking into Medical Transcription

spraguerl
on 1/2/06 12:30 am - Traverse City, MI
Hi, I am just looking into Medical Transcription. Does anyone have suggestions where to start? I really don't have alot of money to spend, but really want 2006 to be year I do something like this for myself. 2005 was the surgery and I want to go one step more. I have taken Vocational Medical Secretary in high school and did very little dictation. Of course that was 20 years ago. I did take medical terminology about 15 years ago. I still know quite a bit of that. I did look on ebay at Sierra training packets. Do you think it is worthwile? Thanks, Lynn
putter4
on 2/19/06 6:57 am - Charles City, IA
Hey Lynn I am getting started at my local community college this May (2006). I will start by taking 2 summer classes online. I am a bit old to be starting a new "career" (I am 45) but after my surgery (Oct. 19, 2005) I feel great. My husband and I have a new up-and-running miniature horse business. Our goal is to have me stay home and have my own home business (medical transcription) in two years. That way I can still help bring home the bacon, yet be available as needed to sell our horses. I don't know much about this either, and would really love to hear from someone that does this for a living. Have you done anything as of yet to get started? I am really nervous, but getting excited. Lets talk!!! Terri
sdharris
on 2/22/06 5:30 am - cumming, GA
Good luck to the both of you I graduated with a certification in 2004 from my local college in ******* Ga and still am unable to find work. No one will hire you unless you have at less 1 to 2 years experience and the only way to do that is to have medical experience to work in a doctors office as a transcriptionist. So good luck.
Patience
on 5/10/06 1:42 am - Lancaster, VA
Look into community colleges. I have to warn you, only those people with very good ears, can type very, very fast will make a livable wage. You will probably make just as much working as a office secretary. I love my job, but it barely pays the bills. P.
MedTrans
on 9/17/06 10:02 pm - Cleburne, TX
Hello Lynn, Sorry this answer is coming MONTHS after it was asked. By now you have probably already made a decision as to whether medical transcription is something you want to pursue. I've been an MT for 20 years. If it is VERY difficult field to get in to, but it is possible. My suggestion would be that you start out with a school like Career Step or Andrews...both of which are recognized by the AAMT (American Association of Medical Transcriptionists)...both schools will help you get started in the business. Honestly, I could not make as much money doing something else than I do being an MT...but I've been doing this a long time. You don't start out making good making, but the more you do it, the more money you make. I wouldn't do anything else. I would forget the Sierra training packets...or any of the courses offered on Ebay...it is a waste of money and a waste of your time. The certification you receive from ANY school is merely a piece of paper stating you completed the course.....it does not make you a certified MT. The only way to become a CMT is through AAMT...and you have to have at least 2 years experience in acute care to even take the test. If you do this...go with a recognized school. That's my story, and I am sticking to it. Hope it helps. Teresa
Most Active
Recent Topics
Introduction with question.
KellyJTn · 0 replies · 394 views
Penn Foster?
maryjones1 · 0 replies · 792 views
DO NOT GO TO WORK FOR SPHERIS
NCMT · 3 replies · 528 views
Second hand career step books
agoodman · 5 replies · 1044 views