Protien Sup's after surgery?

bikertrash
on 11/7/06 10:40 pm - Tucson, AZ
I'd like to get some reccomendations as to some good protien suppliment drinks. My surgery is this coming tues and I was told to bring some with me. They reccomended something like Profect I think, but wanted to hear from you all on what you reccomend. Thanks again,
Scott_I
on 11/7/06 10:52 pm
I just had the surgery a couple of weeks ago and have been struggling with protein. For me its not a matter of finding one I enjoy, rather finding one I can tolerate because none really taste good to me. The one that I think has the least offensive taste for right after surgery is Optisource from walgreens. It come in these little boxes that look like juice boxes and it is not gritty at all and, to me, it really does not have a strong taste. I think it would be a good choice for right after surgery. After a week or two you should be able to tolerate stronger tastes and can maybe find a powder you like. Good luck to you.
Andy L.
on 11/7/06 11:02 pm - Southwest, MN
I am 2 1/2 months post op, so take this how you will. I live in the boondocks. Consequently, I do not have access to a gym. So I don't do hardly any strength training. So I drink 2 GNC Why Protein Shakes (20g protein each) per day to make sure I am losing fat, not muscle.
Dan_P.
on 11/7/06 11:07 pm - Baltimore, MD
Profect is good. A little pricey, and they taste much better when chilled in my opinon. I've gotten good whey protein isolate at allthewhey.com. Around $30 for a 5 lb. container. I can recommend the choc. mint but stay away from the peanut butter flavor. Makes you long for peanut butter. -Daniel
sjbob
on 11/8/06 12:50 am - Willingboro, NJ
I just use HDT 5+1 (they sell 6 lb tub for the price of most people's 5 lb tubs). I use vanilla and and DaVinciGourmet SF&FF syrups. I always liked sweet things and the syrups add flavor and are sweetened with Splenda. I bought the Matrix vanilla but haven't used it yet. Check the Nutrition Forum on this site for an extensive listing of supplements as well as low carb foods. Many of the protein powders and bars are listed under the Other heading.
SouthJerseyChris
on 11/8/06 2:22 am - Brick, NJ
IronTek Essential..it's cheap When I was worried about taste.. Syntrax Nectar..probably the best tasting of the bunch.
Dave G.
on 11/8/06 3:19 am - Garden Grove, CA
I use Profect protien drink - 3oz and you get 20 grams of protien. I also use Procel powder - it's nearly flavorless and you can put it in a lot of stuff and not even know it's there. Good luck!
Dx E
on 11/8/06 9:18 am - Northern, MS
Steve, I had great success with- Zero Carb Isopure. Comes in 20 oz Glass bottles, Sometimes called or referenced as Isopure Crystal on some websites. Calories - 190, Carbohydrate - 0 g, Protein - 40 g It comes in a number of flavors- Passion Fruit, Apple Melon, Grape, Blue Raspberry, Fruit Punch, Orange, Pineapple Orange Banana, And Mango Peach. On the Down Side- All of them have an after taste that is a little like Sucking on Old Pennies. My first thought when tasting it for the first time- "Who peed in this?!?" The Upside? Cut it half and half with some Crystal-Lite And the flavor is hidden completely. Don't try to get it all down at once either, Just have a little, 4 to 5 times a day. You get in more "water" this way and Since your system only processes about 30 gms of Protein at once anyway, Slowly "trickling" it into your system insures you Get the maximum benefit from the protein. It's particularly good while you're "sipping" all tha****er early on Post-Op. If you've got a GNC store nearby, Stop in and buy a few. It is cheaper to shop around on the net And order a case, but only after you know that you will use it. I found the Orange, mixed with Crystal-Lite Lemonade Was great and so was the Mango Peach Mixed with Crystal-Lite's Peach Tea. Just thought I'd share What's worked well for me. Best Wishes- Dx
bikertrash
on 11/9/06 11:22 am - Tucson, AZ
thanks a lot all. I'll start out with the profect, but then try out some of the others. Those mentioned by Dx sound good. Once again, thank you
Most Active
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 34 views
Recent Topics
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 34 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 60 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 80 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 3 replies · 93 views