New Year's Confession...

(deactivated member)
on 1/1/07 2:57 am - Waterdown, Canada
Okay, so after a full year learning about, then getting my own WLS in October...it's come to mind that I "should" be suffering some of the "same" things that others here have commented on.... Sugar: seems that many many posters have commented that they get that 'dumping' syndrome when they have sweets - but not me. I can have my normal double/double coffees - 2 or 3 of them a day, and sugar doesn't bother me at all. While I dont have a sweet-tooth, I did have a big piece of peachpie and vanilla icecream for dessert Xmas day - only ate about 4 oz of same and then passed it to my 15 year old (who's 4 inches taller than me!) and he finished it off. But sugar or sweets do NOT seem to pose a problem for me. Foamies: have gotten them 3 times now. Twice in two successive days when I didn't realize that I what I was doing. Then a couple of nights ago, when I was thinking that I was detecing heartburn, my wife gave me a Zantec pill and that clogged the stoma for about a half hour...dang! Foamies are to be avoided as I HATE them...but I do guess that one I get... Alcohol: I can drink like I used to. Same large large volume and I'm NOT susceptible I guess to the syndrome that says you get loaded so much quicker on much less volume. Beer, is still beyond me, but I can drink a whole bottle of scotch and get tipsy but not drunk....always have been able to do that and that has NOT changed...tho I do suspect that in another 90 lbs or so, it might become more likely that I can not handle volume anymore. MrHappy: yup. first words outta my wife's mouth a week ago were 'hey, it's like...longer or something!" made us BOTH real happy! hope it continues to grow too.... teehee! Walking: I don't like to walk. It's a chore and I fight it daily...but I do walk and it's okay...it just seems so...well...futile to me. But....I'll walk in anycase... So as you can see, I'm the "same" as the rest of the locker room - but different too...or are there any other lads here that find that they too do not "fit" the normal profile of a WLS guy? Jim
schlepter
on 1/1/07 3:06 am - Norristown, PA
Hey Jim, I'm right there with you. In my year since WLS, I have tested my limits a couple times, and found that nothing makes me dump. Now, this is both a good and bad thing. Good in the sense that I can still have a bit of everything I like....but bad because I don't have the fear of getting sick keeping me away from the bad foods. However, I've turned this into a great thing. I don't do sweets often and don't really have a urge for it. But being able to mentally keep myself on track knowing that I "could" eat something has really helped me out, boosting my confidence and spirits...especially when I compare it to how weak my will power was before WLS. Speaking of spirits, I am also in the same boat with the alcohol consumption. Now granted, when I was 476 pounds I could drink like a fish. Now being at 300 and still losing, I can still drink quite a bit, but certainly not like before. I know some WLSer's can get hammered on a glass of wine. This isn't the case with me, but again, it just provides another challenge to make sure I do the right thing and make the right choices. Being a year out, and looking back, I'm just floored at the changes that have come for me. I still have a ways to go, but saying I need to lose 50-60 pounds now instead of 200+ really puts things into perspective. It truly is a blessing!
Tim A.
on 1/1/07 5:32 am
Jim, Happy New Year Bro, I agree it has been a very exciting 2006 for me. WLS has been a greater success than I ever imaged. At 248lbs now I feel 15 years younger and I can do just about all the things I did when I was 30 years old. I don't dump either but I do feel kind of lousy if I eat to much fat or sugur which helps me maintain my level of moderation. I use to drink 8-10 tequila shots in an hour at 460lbs with no ill effects and know if I drink to much (4-5 shots) it just makes me feel sleepy, not tipsy. The year has had a lot of ups and dwn but overall it was of the best years I have had in a long time. I'm not a big fan of exercise but once I got into a routine it has started to grow on me. I enjoy taking Jack the wonder lab for a trek around the neighborhood. I agree it is kind of fruitless but it is for your long term health. Walking on a treadmill is really fruitless to me, I feel like the haster in the spinning wheel going nowhere. I really do enjoy having my old life back, since it happened so slowly I did not realize all the things I had given up over the past 15 years. I'm really looking forward to the spring when I can go to Carowinds and Bush Gardens to ride all the rollercoasters again, it's been a long time since I fit in one. Take care and enjoy the new you..... Regards, Tim
BIG F.
on 1/1/07 6:49 am - chandler, AZ
Hey Guys, I'm glad you brought that subject to light. I also have no trouble with sugar but since my weakness is sweets I will only have them if made with Splenda. I fear the old habit of eating candy will slowly creep back into my diet. Lamont
dennismcl
on 1/1/07 7:01 am - San Francisco, CA
Jim, Sounds like you and I are having similar experiences. The sugar doesn't bother me, but I can have a couple/few cookies or candies now as opposed to MANY I ate before surgery. I try to stick to sugar free candy now. I get my walking in everyday as part of my job, but exercise program has been inconsistent. Booze is fine. I was a beer drinker, though, and the couple times I drank beer, 3 was about my limit for a comfort zone. Before, I could drink it like water, 7-10 no problem. I can't imagine doing that now. The gas alone would drive me crazy! Wine is fine and Irish Coffees ok as long as I don't over do it. I never drank the hard stuff like I did the beer. No dumping, but the foamies get me. The culprit is usually too-dry meat, eating too fast, or bread. I've tried toast...doesn't work for me. I get the little dry sourdough crisps for mini sandwiches. So, I've lost 50 lbs since my surgery in October. I guess it would be more if I abstained from the booze and sweets and exercised daily, but i'm ok with where I'm at and look forward to getting closer to 200lbs over the next several months. Happy New Year Brother and thanks for the post. Dennis
JohnS
on 1/1/07 7:22 am
I really have been thinking lately that I have been doing bad. I have a few problems, #1 I just dont have a desire to eat anymore, so I do the least to stay alive i guess. #2 ORANGE JUICE I love it and am having a problem not drinking 12 oz per day or more if i didn't feel so guilty, I feel better when i drink not light headed. No dumping here, foamies only 1 time on a pain pill. Since my surgery I have lost 60 lbs and am down from a size 60 pants to a 50. I do feel better about myself.
NotDave (Howyadoin?)
on 1/1/07 8:27 am - Japan
Hi Jim, Congrats, sounds like overall you're happy with your results. I don't dump either, though Dx's 40-30-30 "Human Chow" yogurt concoction sends my for my morning poo rather quickly - in a good way (It's very very filling too. Everyone should try it.) As for the foamies, I think I had one of the worst cases my first three months. I was heaving about 5 times a wee****il month 4. I, too can drink about the same amount as before. I don't feel drunk, but I think I'm pulled more toward debauchery more now when I drink. Feeling more like Bill Clinton when I drink: Doing things simply because "I can." I suppose mentally I'm drunk, physically my fitness allows me to be a very mobile drunk and if women think I'm young, well... (the "well" = one slow dance). Yep longer, believe it or not, to my wife's dismay. Japanese women sometimes complain about "size." I remember being single and having girls be scared of it. I have never walked. I do run once a week and swim once a week. I want to save the "cardio" (emphasis on quotation) for when I really need it - that is, if I start gaining body fat and need to increase above my current regimen. Currently, 6-8 hours of weight training a week plus the two days of relatively pure aerobic exercise keeps me losing body fat and seems to be increasing my aerobic capacity. Dave
Dx E
on 1/1/07 2:58 pm - Northern, MS
Dave, My Real "Human Chow" is another recipe, not a yogurt Breakfast thing But a lunch/diner/snack stuff.... I have a recipe- My son refers to this as HUMAN CHOW, Because it was one of my staples, In the same way that Dog Chow is for our dog. I make one batch and separate it Into re-used yogurt containers And pop them in the freezer. Each one holds just over ½ cup. When I'm ready to eat, I pop the top off of the yogurt cup Put the whole thing on a saucer Up-Side-Down, and defrost In the microwave. Once it is de-frosted, Very quick for half a cup, I pull the container off and microwave on high for 45 seconds. Serve it with a couple of olives or slices of tomato. (which would add some more low-glycemic carbs) Each serving of this size has approx. 5gms Carbs, 19gms Protein, 8gms fiber, And just under 300 calories. Here's the recipe-- 2 lbs Laura Lean Ground Sirloin 1 lb Bag of frozen Peas & Carrots Mixed 4 Stalks of Celery (just individuals not the whole bunches) 1 Large White or Red Onion 1 Cup fine diced Mushrooms ¾ Cup of Textured Vegetable Protein (Red's Mill available at Kroger) 1 to ¼ Cups Skim Milk or mixture of Skim Milk and Soy Milk. 4 Table spoons of Good Olive Oil 2 Table spoons of minced Garlic (1 if using fresh) 2 Tablespoons of Fresh Ground Flaxseed. 2 ½ to 3 Tablespoons of Flour 1 to 2 Teaspoons of Fresh Ground Black Pepper 4 Tablespoons of Worcestershire Sauce 1 Teaspoon of Onion Powder Salt to taste (Pimento and Green Onion Optional, but recommended) In a Large Skillet put 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil, ...With Onions & Celery ...Sautee until soft ...Add to this the Ground Sirloin, Garlic & Mushrooms ...Just as it is starting to brown add ½ of the Worcestershire Sauce. ...As this Further browns add ½ of the pepper and the onion powder. ...Get this Really Brown, don't over stir, ...Allow some Caramelizing Action When fully Browned, ...Remove and Drain in a colander and rinse briefly w/ ho****er. In separate pot, bring Peas and Carrots to a boil in as little water as possible ...(or use some stock/broth if you've got it) ...At boil remove from heat and add Texture Vegetable Protein ...And add remaining Worcestershire Sauce ...Allow Peas and Carrots to sit while TVP soaks up Liquid. Return Skillet to Heat and set on high. ...Add remaining Olive Oil and the Flour, making a Rue. ...Allow it to get to be Golden in color, not too dark, but As if for Gravy. Add Milk and stir quickly with spatula to prevent lumps ...As this mixture begins to thicken. ...Add remaining Pepper and salt to taste. ...It should resemble Thick Home-style gravy. Return Meat and sautéed Vegetables to this sauce. Drain Peas, Carrots & TVP and add to mixture. Add Ground Flaxseed. Simmer until Quite Thick. Remove from heat and pour into Containers. Allow them to cool before freezing. I often add a small jar of chopped pimento and some fine diced green onion at the end for added flavor & color. If you are cooking for others as well, this mixture with a bit more milk or Cream added is great for "civilians" when served over rice. The Little Tower of food (from shape of yogurt container) is easy to finish off with a slice of Cheese Melted over it in the last phase of micro-waving. My son did make fun of me for eating one of these For at least one meal nearly every other day. (my first year post-op) That's my real "Human Chow." Full of Good stuff..... Best Wishes- Dx
NotDave (Howyadoin?)
on 1/1/07 4:17 pm - Japan
Dx, Sounds delicious! Maybe I'll give it a try one day. For now, the yogurt will put me in the zone. I even went beyond the usual protein shake today and made 25 grams of no-carb into a 40-30-30 deal. Thanks, Dave
Jim G.
on 1/1/07 8:28 am - Waverly, PA
Jim, Thank you for posting this information. It gives me hope that I will probably be able to enjoy some of the things that I do right now after my surgery--even if that means smaller quantities. I am not much of a suger eater right now, but I do like to have a drink every now and then. Jim G.
Most Active
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 25 views
Recent Topics
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 25 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 59 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 82 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 93 views