"Hardgainer?"

NotDave (Howyadoin?)
on 1/1/07 9:30 am - Japan
Hey Guys, Found another fitness "FAQ" page. One portion on hardgainers is particularly interesting and gives good reason for most to put at least some of their workout time into cardio and do lower weights, less frequently: From http://www.trygve.com/mfw_faq.html#whatishardgainer "What is a 'Hardgainer'? / What is a Hardgainer routine'? A hardgainer (HG) is someone who has a genetic make-up which does not allow him/her to pack on muscle quickly. These type of people typically do not respond large volumes and frequency of training. It has been estimated that 60%-95% of the population are hardgainers. HG routines use low volumes and frequencies of training. A HG routine will usually train each bodypart no more than once per week. Compound movements (like squats and deadlifts) are favoured over isolation movements (like leg extensions or hamstring curls). Hardgainers are prone to overtraining when using high volume/frequency workouts, hence the general rule of thumb is 'less is more'. Frank J. Kelly and Craig Sadler's Hardgainer bodybuilding / weightlifting FAQ (11/29/1999) is available at cns-web.bu.edu/pub/kellyfj/hgfaq.txt Best Wishes, Dave
NotDave (Howyadoin?)
on 1/1/07 10:10 am - Japan
Addendum: The FAQ top link also answers a lot of the resistance training questions I asked you all the other day - a lot of interesting and helpful Q&A info: http://www.trygve.com/mfw_faq.html Good Day to You, Dave
carbonblob
on 1/1/07 11:01 am - los angeles, CA
hey DT, I just spent the last hour going over the FAQ section and some links. Great site. Keep finding us the great articles. I found a gallery section with older pics from the 70's and 80's. The guys who were an inspiration to me when I started lifting again. Amazing how much bigger, cut and vascular these lifters keep getting. Where will it end? Carbonblob
NotDave (Howyadoin?)
on 1/1/07 1:40 pm - Japan
CB, I don't know where it will end, but it does keep me going as well. I looked at Dave Draper's site for one. Hell, I remember seeing him for the first time on the Beverly Hillbillies way back in the mid 60's. He looks at least as good now.He was after Ellie May (Hee haw! She still looks pretty good, too!). Don't know how old he is, but gotta be in his 60's. DT
Dx E
on 1/1/07 12:31 pm - Northern, MS
Dave, Thanks for the Über-Site! Genetics Eh? I thought it was just cause I was getting to old!! Best Wishes- Dx
NotDave (Howyadoin?)
on 1/1/07 1:47 pm - Japan
Hi Dx, But it's nice to know that most of us can work out less to achieve more, isn't it? I'm a little disappointed that the more I work out the bigger I get (Or so it seems, as long as I do my front portions, back portions and legs on separate days). I always want to do less! Thanks, Dave
Most Active
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 25 views
Recent Topics
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 25 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 59 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 82 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 93 views