Hemochromatosis any one else have this problem

duanero
on 1/4/07 11:22 pm - Black Diamond, WA
Hi, Went to the doctor last night and found out that one of the tests they ordered for my weight loss surgery showed I have high levels of iron in my blood. I have just found out I have Hemochromatosis. My blood test came back showing that I have High iron counts they were over 550. Any of you guys dealing with this problem. Have you had any problems or complications. It sounds from what I have read that it is pretty much controllable. I will admit the idea of having a phlebotomy twice a week for 2 months then 4 or 5 times a year for the rest of my life doesnt sound like fun. I havent talked to my WLS yet so I hope this is not going to interfere with having the surgery.
drjco
on 1/5/07 12:39 am - Mint Hill, NC
Duane, You are not alone out there. I was diagnosed with hemochromatosis over 10 years ago. I have not yet had the surgery, so I don't know if it affects anything related to WLS. When I was first diagnosed I went through an intense period of Phlebotomys until the iron level satisfied the Dr. Now I go once a month and it keeps me fairly level. I tried going every other month and the iron level would begin to creep up. I would rather go more often than not often enough because I really begin to drag when the iron levels rise. I can tell when my crit level gets above 15. The feeling I get when the iron goes up is one of easy fatigue, listlessness, and low energy levels. My doctor is aware of the hemo and has not mentioned any concerns to me. Good Luck with the surgery and stay on top of your iron levels. drjco
duanero
on 1/5/07 1:08 am - Black Diamond, WA
Thanks For the info. I am just learning starting the learning process. This problem may explain the diabetes that I now have. I have often thought for the last couple of years that I was really tired and didnt have much energy. It would be nice if this would solve some of those issues.
Most Active
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 34 views
Recent Topics
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 34 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 60 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 80 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 3 replies · 93 views