Looking for an On-line Trainer

Paul Gubrud
on 1/7/07 2:29 am - Pelican Rapids, MN
Gentlemen, This is directed at Dave and anyone else with weight lifting experience. I want to start lifting weights but I don't have a clue how to begin. I don't have access to a gym or a trainer but my son has a basic barbell set that I can borrow. What is the best way to get started? I'm so ignorant about weight lifting I don't even know what questions to ask. I've looked at several of the fitness sites but find them a bit confusing. Can you guys help me get started on the right path so I don't hurt myself or get discouraged before I give it a fair chance? May Your Lantern Burn Bright, Paul
NotDave (Howyadoin?)
on 1/7/07 3:13 am - Japan
Hi Paul, Glad to be of help in any way I can. I haven't worked as a trainer in a long time, just done a considerable amount of training on my own and read a lot about the topic. First of all, you're right about getting injured or discouraged in the first few months, as this is when both happen most often. To prevent either, I would start out with maybe five exercises using weights that will render you unable to continue after 12-15 repetitions. Do one set of each and rest 1-2 minutes in between. I would recommend (in this order): 1. Bent over barbell rows (lats, upper back) 2. Military shoulder press (deltoids, trapezius) 3. Bench press (pectorals) 4. Squat (quadriceps) 5. Lunges (quadriceps, hamstring, gluteus maximus) Paul, please google each of these for the proper form. Generally, these are executed by raising the weight to a two count and lowering it to a four count, exhaling when the weight is going up and inhaling when the weight is coming down. I would do these either MWF or T Thu Sat for 3-4 weeks, keeping track of your weights on each. These are mostly linear leg and trunk exercises. When you've done these for 3-4 weeks, please let me know and I can add some rotational and arm exercises for a total of about 10-12 exercise. Be careful, and please remember that I can no longer be considered a professional trainer and am not a health professional. This is simply opinion shared from friend-to-friend. I'm assuming your doctor has approved you for this exercise and that you are confirming with a fitness professional (right!). Please don't hesitate if you have any additional questions or encounter any problems along the way. Here's a good unsponsored FAQ site, too: http://www.trygve.com/mfw_faq.html Best Wishes, Dave
NotDave (Howyadoin?)
on 1/7/07 3:34 am - Japan
Paul, I'm pretty crazy, I've never warmed up or stretched because for some reason, I just stay very flexible (can work to a full split in about a week). So, I forgot to say to warm up with some easy to moderate cardio for about ten minutes. Then *after* your muscles are warm and pliable, do some stretches, especially for the shoulders, back and hamstrings (backs of legs). Stretching and warming up are completely different and not interchangeable -unless you're doing something like, say a yoga circuit for about 15-30 minutes non-stop, then they may be one and the same. Goog Luck, Dave
drjco
on 1/7/07 8:10 am - Mint Hill, NC
Dave, I took Special Needs Yoga for over a year and it was one of the best experiences i've had. Before class I always did 30 minutes on a tread mill or recumbant bike to get my muscles loose. We always began with deep breathing and focus, moved to small muscle groups and then on to balance and large muscle groups. The class was an hour long. I had to stop after some minor knee surgery but will begin again soon. I felt great after each session. I still use the neck stretches and ball exercises that don't put pressure on the Knee. I did this on the off days that I wasn't working on toning.I did toning and cardio on the same day. Just wanted to share, drcjo
NotDave (Howyadoin?)
on 1/7/07 6:57 pm - Japan
Hi John, I was doing the sunworship circuit, about 36 cycles a day and was surprised at how mobile and strong I was getting. It not only makes you stronger, it's effects are virtually the same as an athletic deep stretch program. Then, there's the synchronised breathing, which is also good for the O2 uptake and cardio. Good Stuff, Dave
carbonblob
on 1/7/07 8:33 am - los angeles, CA
Hey Paul, I would just add one thing to Dave's excellent post. He's using all compound basic movements not isolation exercises which is what you want. The most important thing is form so you don't get hurt. So I would say in the beginning, go light to get good form first and also so you don't walk around like a zombie because you're so sore! I would only struggle on the last reps not go to failure. You can do that when you're more advanced. You might be liable to hurt yourself until you learn to listen to what your muscles are trying to tell you. So take it easy when you start and like Dave said, learn the form first. Don't attack the weights like a beast! Learn how it feels first then do the exercises to the point they are hard to finish the last reps. One more thing, maybe start at a gym for a month or two even if it's a schlep to get to and let their trainer start you. If you use your kids set at home, i bet you get bored silly changing all the weights around all the time. it's really nice to just pick up a weight off the rack or sit at a machine and work out rather than adjust barbells all day long. Ok, I think that's my two cents. Good luck.....Carbonblob
Phil D.
on 1/8/07 6:14 am - Des Moines, IA
I go to the local Y. They have a free program for members where a "fitness councilor" takes you around to the different cardio machines and weight lifting machines to show you how they work. They answer your questions and advises you of tthe different classes they have. (yoga, pilates, spinning, aerobic, water aerobic, etc.) About once a month, if you'd like they take measurements of your body, blood preassure and body fat. There is always someone at the free weights that will gladly answer your questions on lifting techniques. I've been a member since October, 2006 and I've enjoyed it alot. Before my surgery I would never picture myself at the Y. Now I'm there 5 or 6 times a week. Good Luck! Phil
Most Active
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 35 views
Recent Topics
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 35 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 61 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 81 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 3 replies · 94 views