Getting Ready for LA Marathon!

G. Daddy
on 1/8/07 2:19 pm - San Gabriel, CA
Hi Men! I'm a lurker on the men's board - I've posted here occasionally over the past couple of years. I had my RNY in May of 2005 and have lost 130lbs... from 280 then to 150ish now! Like many of you, this surgery literally gave me my life back! One of the things I'm doing now that I never would have attempted when I was morbidly obese is training for the LA Marathon - this past Saturday was my 23-Mile run! This marathon thing has been great for getting my exercise in order - I'm planning on continuing my running long after the LA Marathon, which will be on Sunday, March 4th. I'm training for the marathon with a with The Natioinal AIDS Marathon Training Program. So a big part of the marathon for me is raising money to benefit AIDS Project Los Angeles - helping to give a better quality of life for living with AIDS/HIV. I have a goal to raise $1,500.00 for APLA and still need to raise a few hundred bucks to reach my goal. If you are in a position where you are able to give I would sure appreciate it.Every dollar helps - so if you can give a little or a lot, please help! If would like to give, or just read a bit more about what I'm doing follow this link and click the "Donate Now" button. http://www.aidsmarathon.com/participant.asp?runner=LA-2224&EventCode=LA07 Thanks again for all of your support whether financial or otherwise - it means the world to me and helps me to keep going when the running gets tough! C h e e r s, gene
Dx E
on 1/8/07 10:12 pm - Northern, MS
Hey Gene, Glad you dropped in! Congratulations on your continued success And good luck on the training! I made it to a 5K last summer and that was my Peak. You "Marathon Men" are a true inspiration. Keep it up! Best Wishes- Dx
G. Daddy
on 1/9/07 5:49 am - San Gabriel, CA
Hi Dx! Thanks for the encouragement! Congrat's on your 5k! That's awesome! C h e e r s, gene
Neal R.
on 1/9/07 2:34 am - Wylie, TX
That is great. Wish I could contribute, but not in the position right now (just started work after being off for several months). I at training for a labor day 5K and it is killing me, I can't even imagine a marathon. Great for you and good luck.
G. Daddy
on 1/9/07 2:34 pm - San Gabriel, CA
Hi Neal! Wishing you the best for your Labor Day 5K! You're going to be amazed how much your body adjusts to your training... I'm leaning that consistancy is the key for my body - I do two 45-minute runs during the week and a long run on weekends and have gone from zero exercise to running 23 miles this past week. Trust me, if I can do it, anyone can! C h e e r s, gene
carbonblob
on 1/10/07 12:12 am - los angeles, CA
way to go Gene, I live in Los Angeles, that's a big deal out here. Huge turnout every year. You and I started about the same weight and finished the same. I was 287# and now I'm 147#. No way can I run though. Never any good at it and just don't have the stamina it takes but I admire those of you who can do the aerobic workouts like that. Keep up the good causes.......Carbonblob
G. Daddy
on 1/10/07 5:16 am - San Gabriel, CA
Congrat's on your success! Great work! I've heard great stuff about the LA Marathon too and can't wait to see it all, up close and personal! C h e e r s, gene
Most Active
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 39 views
Recent Topics
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 39 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 64 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 83 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 3 replies · 96 views