Spot on the kidney.

peppermrj
on 1/9/07 7:41 am - Pittsburgh, PA
As part of my pre surgery testing a spot was found on my one kidney. After the ct scan confirmed it as a solid mass I was referred to a urologist. During my initial visit I was infomed that there was only a one in a thousand chance that the lump was not cancerous and that they would not even bother to test further. There was another lump that needed to be reviewed. A MRI was ordered to determine if it to was solid. I was told that the lump or kidney would be removed and the surgery would be scheduled after the MRI results. I asked about the possibility of having everything done at once, WLS, Gallbladder, Hiatal hernia, and the kidney/lump. I was told that should be discussed with my WL surgeon. Well now I get a call and am told that the lump is not cancer and to proceed with my surgery. I was also told to come back in 6 months for additional pictures to see if my lump grows. This is very disconcerting to me. I have some reservations about an almost certain cancer and then there was none. I am seriously considering a second opinion. I have a call in to my family doctor and my WL surgeon. What do you guys think? Tony J.
Dx E
on 1/9/07 8:08 am - Northern, MS
Tony, Yeah, that's a clear case for 2nd Opinion. I'd get a consensus from a few doctors and a clear explanation Of just How they could have been so mistaken with the first diagnosis. For me, I would need an explanation of why the first one had been wrong And why the second one was right, before I could trust either. Yes? I would go after the - "How do I know to trust Your diagnosis, When I was asked to completely believe the other one as well?" Once you feel certain that you are getting 'facts' and not just opinion, Then you can make your decision accordingly. Sorry to hear that you are facing conflicting info from the docs. I certainly hope that the "It's all OK" diagnosis was the good one, And that you get to the bottom of it soon. Best Wishes- Dx
peppermrj
on 1/9/07 8:49 am - Pittsburgh, PA
I have an appointment to discuss this with my family physician tomorow. I feel that I have been given 1, a worst case scenario and 2, a best case scenario without any other possibilities. I truly miss being 20 years old and having all the answers. My kingdom for something that is simply black and white. Tony J.
drjco
on 1/10/07 5:05 am - Mint Hill, NC
Tony, I was out at a Board meeting last night and just got to the computer today. Without any doubt you need a second opinion, not only from the family doctor, but also another urolgist. Obviously this is nothing to take lightly. Good Luck in your quest for the facts. drjco
peppermrj
on 1/10/07 7:57 am - Pittsburgh, PA
Met with my family doctor today. We sat and reviewed the report from the urologist and the technician that reads the MRI. Basically the text was that the picture clearly indicated a blood filled lump that was not malignant. My family doctor is going to have the film reviewed by another tech and urologist. She will also speak with the first urologist as to the conflicting reports given to me. Hoping for the best but taking nothing for granted. Will also discuss this with my WLS. Thanks Guys, Tony J.
Dan_P.
on 1/11/07 1:28 am - Baltimore, MD
Hey Tony. Sending positive vibes your way on this. Sounds like you're doing good follow up on this. Hope that everything turns out positively. -Daniel
peppermrj
on 1/11/07 9:59 am - Pittsburgh, PA
Good news and Bad. Spoke with Dr. Quinlin today. He reviewed all of my info and feels the kidney spot is not an issue. However, My Gallbladder is more of a problem than I have been told. Seems that some of the stones have migrated out of the gallbladder and will require a surgery that is a little more complicated than simply removing the organ. At first DR. Q was was in favor of two seperate surgeries however he is looking into the possibility of having another surgeon work with him during my WLS to rectify this new issue. I just want to get underway. All of this uncertainty is driving me nuts. Tony J.
Most Active
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 26 views
Recent Topics
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 26 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 61 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 84 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 94 views