Thanks to Dave!

pcprobob
on 1/12/07 2:03 am - Hillsborough, NC
Just wanted to give a shoutout to Dave in Japan. I am four months out today and my weight loss had slowed to around 3lbs a week. Although I have lost a bunch of weight, I still have a bunch more that I want to get rid of. I am also beginning to develop some loose skin issues. I was looking for a way to up my workouts and hopefully kick it into a higher gear, both physically and with the weightloss, when I read Dave's post in this thread: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/men/postdetail/47101.html?vc=0 Then, I read Dave's profile. As a result, I am skipping my third daily walk in the evening and doing the weight routine, including the lower body lunges and squats. In just the last five days, my skin has tightened up some and I have lost 5 lbs. pretty cool stuff. Anyway, thanks to Dave for posting his information! Bob
NotDave (Howyadoin?)
on 1/12/07 2:56 am - Japan
Hi Bob, Thanks for the kind words, but I really do feel like a lazy poster. I feel like I'm the one getting help and support from you and the other members here. When working out, it is very easy to get lost in the theory or to think that "more cardio" is better than a program that uses different energy systems. What I have found is that there is so much cardio in supposedly "anaerobic" weight lifting, if you are doing 3-4 hours a week of it, you will become more aerobically fit. Then, if you combine cardio and weights, there seems to be an unbelievable synergy from the stronger muscles using less energy when running, swimming or whatever at a given speed. Not sure of the condition of your knees or hips, but if you don't have any joint problems, you might incorporate squats or weight machine leg presses. These seem to help the most in other cardio. I read once where squats are one of the healthiest exercises and that all top athletes in strenuous sports do squats and deadlifts (be careful with deadlifts!). Best Wishes, Dave
pcprobob
on 1/12/07 10:44 pm - Hillsborough, NC
Dave, Thanks for the insight. My hips are fine, but my knees give me some trouble (of course, a lot less than they did 6 months ago). I am doing the squats, but not with enough weight to make my knees hurt, just enough to make my thighs burn a bit. Just doing the motion is a big improvement for me, though. I also added side lunges to the routine you posted. I see what you mean about getting some cardio benefits from lifting the heavier weight. My heart rate really goes up and so does my breathing. Thanks for sharing. Bob
NotDave (Howyadoin?)
on 1/13/07 6:06 am - Japan
Bob, Lunges are also great for getting the breath up and seem to be a little easier on the knees. I can almost always get sore from lunges. As for the cardio, I took some fitness classes in college, and looking at the graphs, cardio benefit was never an "all or nothing" deal. There was always some cardio from sprints, weightlifting, etc. However, some may feel more comfortable with a "hybrid program" such as this circuit training weight program, which probably offers a good mix of both. My own experience with this (used to do this kind of program exclusively), is that my strength plateaus after several months: http://onhealth.webmd.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=56534 Best Wishes, Dave
kmedal
on 1/12/07 3:21 am - Milpitas, CA
Hey Dave What is "anaerobic" weight lifting? Thanks Ken
NotDave (Howyadoin?)
on 1/12/07 12:59 pm - Japan
Hi Ken, Most weight lifting is anaerobic, which means the heart rate goes up beyond what is most efficient for cardiac benefit and fat loss. Also, the heart generally goes back down close to resting heart rate as you wait for the next set or exercise. My heart gets up to 160-70, which for me is well into the anaerobic range (=uses mostly blood sugar, as opposed to oxygen for energy). However, that doesn't mean it's totally anaerobic. It's a continuum: more anaerobic vs. less aerobic. If you do many hours of an anaerobic activity in a week, you'll get the same aerobic benefit as from a couple hours of aerobic activity (often known as "cardio" activity). Then, if you add a couple of more pure aerobic activities into the week, such as swimming or jogging at a moderate pace, a lot of synergy occurs. Stronger muscles require less energy to function, and heart rate stays lower at the same pace, and so on... Dave
Most Active
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 35 views
Recent Topics
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 35 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 61 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 81 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 3 replies · 94 views