Weight Lifting 101

Paul Gubrud
on 1/14/07 12:38 am - Pelican Rapids, MN
Gentlemen, Last week I posted a question about how to start weight training and got some good advice from Dave, Carbon Blob, and Phil. http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/men/postdetail/47101.html?vc=0 Yesterday my son loaned me his barbell and weights. He used to do a lot of lifting in college and it shows. I showed him Dave's post and my son showed be the basics of each of the exercises with both the barbell and dumbells. After going through the motions, I quickly realized that I needed to start out with light weights. I mean very light weights. Along with the advice my son gave me I'm also using this link that I picked up on this board last spring. http://www.exrx.net/ This morning I did one set of all the lifts Dave recommended. I keep everything light and didn't push myself. Then I tried a few old-fashioned pushups and crunches only to discover that I am a 215-pound weakling. I didn't over do it and my muscles aren't sore, but I can definitely feel I haven't used them for a while. Thanks guys! May Your Lantern Burn Bright, Paul
carbonblob
on 1/14/07 1:05 am - los angeles, CA
way to go Paul. that's a good link by the way. now i have a theory, i don't lift each set to failure. all you do is train yourself to fail each time. i would rather finish each rep and teach myself to win. now you're not a weakling. lifting takes time to accomplish heavier weight. go slow and steady and try to add as time goes on. you'll feel sore in a few days but work through that. it will go away in a few weeks. keep up with Dave's program as it's loaded with basic non isolated exercises. that is, it works several muscles at once. that's how you build up everything. squats, chins, dips, curls, rowing presses and benches are the real winners for everyone's program. later you can isolate. take plenty of time off between workouts and do entire body routines to start. later you can think of split routines. give yourself 3 to 6 months at this level and believe me, you'll see results in just 3 months. keep your fat intake low for definition. also, you can't spot reduce so just do abs everyday and soon you'll have a good gut! there's nothing wrong with light weights. the whole deal is good form. i can make 40 pounds feel like 60 with just strict form. if you cheat your weights, you'll accomplish nothing and possibly hurt yourself. You might want to invest in wrist, elbow and knee wraps if they help. A must is a weight belt for lifting that involves the back. I don't use a leather belt but I found a great one with velcro so I can tighten it right where I want it to go. One more thing, warm up! at our age we need to do that. do just a little cardio first and then do a warm up of each exercise at say half the weight you use for 15-20 reps. this will get the muscle group warmed up. then work out fast, don't cool down or waste time talking. always be moving around between sets. I do abs in between sets and wal****il i'm ready for the next set. that way i get my abs out of the way and my workout goes faster. I shoot for 45 minutes to an hour tops for my workouts. By the way, your muscles grow when you rest, not working out. Also drink your protien after your work out, that's when your body needs to rebuild and will use the protien best. Good luck and keep a record of all your weights and exercises, that way you can track what you're doing and how you're progressing. this is a must. Ok, keep up the good work.......Carbonblob
Paul Gubrud
on 1/14/07 2:30 am - Pelican Rapids, MN
CB, Thanks for the advice and support. Since losing weight I've really gotten to enjoy walking, except on the treadmill (boring!). I think I may like lifting weights too. I'm a bit surprised at how weak I feel. I spent my summers when I was in college working construction jobs and working for a farmer. I poured cement; manhandled 80+ pound hay bails and wrestled with 50 pound feeder pigs all summer long. I was fat then too, but I was strong as an ox. Over the past 25 years I haven't had to use my muscles much and today I feel like a wimp. Hopefully by spring I'll start feeling stronger again. May Your Lantern Burn Bright, Paul
carbonblob
on 1/14/07 4:44 am - los angeles, CA
Hey Paul, give yourself a chance to build up your muscles again. You'll feel much stronger in just a few weeks. Everything will come back, just give it time. I came back but at a much slower pace than I thought I would. Plus, I don't go too heavy anymore. Too much pain and it's not good for my back. I do the treadmill too and hate it......lol. I'll put on the game or a movie and do maybe two or three 20 minute sets at 3.7 mph at a 12 degree incline. I just hate going faster and it hurts my feet. I'm such a whimp about the treadmill but it's really good aerobics until I start swimming again. so hang tough, you'll be buff and throwing pigs around again in no time! Carbonblob
NotDave (Howyadoin?)
on 1/14/07 5:19 am - Japan
CB's right, Paul...you can get it all back and more. I figure I'm a little stronger even now than when I was a strapping 19 year old weight training instructor. Never thought it possible when I was in my pre-op condition (or until just recently). Just shows you what the mental limitations we set for ourselves can do to us. Enjoy, Dave
Most Active
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 3 replies · 28 views
Recent Topics
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 3 replies · 28 views
St. Patty's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 62 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 87 views