Vitamins

MatthewDM617
on 6/23/08 6:34 am - Bethesda, MD
Hey Guys -  Wanted to ask a question...... I take 2 Baratric Advantage Multi Chewable Vitamins and 1 Chewable Iron and 2 eye droppers of liquid Vitamin B    ALL at the same time and usually right before bed. Question is ... is that ok ?  Should I be doing it differently ?  Should I be doing other things ? I think you kinda see where this is going.  Any and all help is appreciated!  Thanks! Best, Matthew Marshall 301-787-2910
JFish
on 6/23/08 6:37 am - Crane, TX
I take all of those first thing in the morning. Except that I only take the B12 sublingual about twice a week. That way I can have about a 6 to 8 hour window of absorption before I start taking Calcium Citrate later in the afternoon. I try to take 400 mg of Calcium at 3 different times during the afternoon and evening for a total of 1200mg. A lot of times though I end up forgetting to take any until bedtime. I don't take all three at once or I wake up about 4 hours later with some fairly serious stomach cramps.
The free man owns himself. He can damage himself with either eating or drinking....... If he does he is certainly a damn fool, and he might possibly be a damned soul; but if he may not, he is not a free man any more than a dog.
FatManWalking
on 6/23/08 7:08 am - Deep in the Heart of, TX
RNY on 12/11/06 with
I have heard you should take your Calcium and your Iron separately, as they compete for the same receptors. Ah, but looking at it I do not see you taking calcium citrate. Is it in your multi? If so, Maybe you should take the iron at a different time. JP
Beam me up Scottie
on 6/23/08 1:19 pm
It's probably better to split up your multi into 2 doses, and yes it's oke to take a multi and b complex at the same time.  Iron should probably be taken separately on an empty stomach (2 hours after food, and 1 hour before you eat something else).  Although you can take iron with some citrus fruits...it's best to avoid eating it with whole grains, milk products and protein , they hinder it's absorbtion.  Take iron with C because it helps with absorbtion. Where is your calcium citrate? do you take any?  What about extra D?  The B that you take is it a b complex or is it just B-12?  With the RNY you should be taking at least 100 mg of B-1 daily, it is a very common deficiency  with the RNY and the DS. Scott
jpcolter
on 6/23/08 5:16 pm - San Francisco, CA
Iam 18 mths out from my VSG.  I take on Centrum Chewable Multivitamin daily and a couple of calcium supplements with Vitam D and magnesium.  Recent Blood work was Ok.  The only othery thing I take is an acid reducer Prevacid which I need to keep the Gall bladder (which I wish Id' removed at the time of Surgery) All isOk. JP
Charlie B.
on 6/23/08 11:15 pm - Noblesville, IN
Something that worked great for me was to photocopy the nutrition information of all my suppliments/medication - multi, B1, B12, Calcium citrate and prilosec and review it with the doc and the nut.  I then adjusted doses according to their input.  At 7 months out all is well.  It is a highly individual affair.  I have iron deposites in my liver so I don't take supplimental iron.  Wouldn't have known that without the consults. CB

(deactivated member)
on 6/24/08 11:02 pm - northeastern, NC
I take a plain old multivitamin, calcium citrate with D, and liquid B complex in the morning, and an additional calcium citrate at night. In practice, the liquid B is taken about 4 days out of 7, and I know I'm getting enough because I pee in techniclor even on the off day. Originally,I took 2 calciums in the morning, but a lab test showed that I was slightly low on vitamin D in my blood, so the doc had me split the calciums. If your bloodwork doesn't show anything out of range, then there's nothing to worry about.
BamaBob54
on 6/25/08 5:30 am - Meridianville, AL
The nutritionists at Vandy say take the calcium citrate at a different time than your multivitamin.
BamaBob54    756997.jpg picture by BamaVulcan04   ROLL TIDE!!!
[IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e82/BamaVulcan04/2661045004_3d63fb2244.jpg[/IMG]
[
Most Active
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 3 replies · 29 views
Recent Topics
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 3 replies · 29 views
St. Patty's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 62 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 87 views