Lap Band - Pre-op / Smokeless Tobacco

(deactivated member)
on 3/22/09 11:30 pm - Dallas, TX
I started my two week Pre-op diet today for the Lap Band Surgery.

I wanted to find out, did anyone having the Lap Band surgery have to give up chew-tobacco prior to surgery?

I did some google-ing on the topic and found some other message boards (other websites) where people say that had to give it up prior to surgery - but I wanted to check here and get your thoughts/experiences.

I am afraid to bring it up to my doc, because I am afraid he will tell me to stop.

I chewed for about 4 years, then quit for over 5 years. i just started back about 3 months ago.
I know I can give it up, but like any other addiction I just don't want to right now.
The last time I quit, 5 years ago, I used Nicorrette and was very successful with it. I assume I will use it again when I am ready to stop.

Thanks for your help.

Geez this pre-op diet is tough. Today is the first day, I didn't know what to eat since I haven't planned well. I had low fat yogurt for breakfast (luckily we had some in the house).

Blazade
on 3/23/09 12:27 am - Onalaska, WI
You need to tell your doctor and you need to quit.  Nicotine in your system during surgery is a major health risk.  Your Doctor needs to know.

Robert

Trent R.
on 3/23/09 12:33 am - Yukon, OK
Revision on 12/24/12
Hey Brad,

I agree, you need to tell your doctor. Nicotine plays a significant role in your healing after surgery. WLS is to improve your life and one of those factors may include giving up other addictions. My doctor has cancelled surgeries of people that did not give up the nicotine. He does a blood test 48 hours before surgery to make sure. Just be up front and honest with him. YOu don't want to play with your health....

Good luck buddy.

Trent

“In case you never get a second chance: don't be afraid!" "And what if you do get a second chance?" "You take it!” ― C. JoyBell C.

(deactivated member)
on 3/23/09 2:15 am - Dallas, TX
I talked to the doc office this morning.
They explained that, of course, medically speaking any tobacco product is bad for you and you should consider quitting.

As far as the surgery is concerned, they will not cancel the surgery due to tobacco use.
So - it looks like I am okay to continue.

I want to quit. Well, i don't want to right now - but I know it is a disgusting habit that I need to quit.
(deactivated member)
on 3/23/09 2:32 am
First time after you get your band filled and chew gets stuck, comes up your throat and out your nose will make ya quit. I guarantee you that.   I had triscuits come out my nose once. I imagine it might feel the same!

Seht
on 3/23/09 3:25 am
Good luck with your upcoming surgery.  I hope the tobacco doesn't cause any problems with your healing post surgery.

My doc's office absolutely would cancel your surgery if they found out you had it in your system.
They actually tested for it as part of the pre surgery labs they were doing.

Best wishes.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

DreTheDog
on 3/23/09 4:30 am - Keller, TX
I had to quit. Then i started again when I got a girlfriend. Now i've switched to Amiercan Spirit's, which I guess don't have nicotine. They're "all natural" still not good for ya, but better than my old Camel lights. I don't know why I still keep doing it, expecially with the prices nowadays, but I'm not ready to quit again I guess.

c_buck88
on 3/23/09 6:17 am
Brad:
From an ex-smokeless tobacco user to another who wants to be, do yourself a favor:  give it up when you can,  I know how tough it is.  I dipped and chewed for 10 years, it was a good friend.  When I quit, Mr. Food took its place.  You want to quit, but, not really, but, you wish you could, but... well you know what I'm saying.

My doctor told me to never start again for reasons that have nothing to do with my lap band, like yours told you.  I can only recommend the cold turkey way since that is the only thing that worked for me, been 13 years since I stopped.

One thing to consider:  if you are like some of us after surgery, you may find that the idea of putting food in your mouth, much less tobacco, at least for a few weeks afterward, makes you nauseous.  It may help you kick the habit.  Just an idea, congrats on the upcoming surgery - your gonna do fine.
"It was a long way, but he knew where he was going."  Corey Ford, The Road to Tinkhamtown.

Jaime Breckenridge
on 3/23/09 4:49 pm - IL
I am 36, just turned 36 march 8th and I have chewed since high school on and off.  I chew and stop several times a year.  I simply enjoy it.  Last April/May I asked if not smoking included chewing, they said yes.  I put my can down and put my unopened cans in the freezer (No sense waisting money.)

Had surgery in October and about a week before Christmas I grabbed a can from the freezer.  If you think you can stick out getting a life altering surgery and stick to the diet then buck up and put the can down for a few months.  You can pick it back up later.

Sorry if I come across as crass or rude but why have a surgery to improve your health if you aren't going to do what you can to assure it goes well.  Once healed grab the can out of the freezer and spit away.  Now, that being said, if you are a swallower, I say quit, you do not need anymore garbage in your stomach.

-Jaime

Most Active
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 21 views
Recent Topics
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 21 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 54 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 78 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In