I wonder if I'm dead inside

Qajohn
on 5/25/14 1:44 pm - Woodbury, MN
RNY on 01/16/14

So, there are a few things that have changed about me, physiologically, since having surgery:

I burp incessantly

I don’t poop regularly

I’m really gassy

Reading through posts throughout this website, I know that I am not alone so unless there is an issue, I just ignore these issues and move on. The problem is the gassiness.

Ok, we are all guys. We fart. It’s just what happens sometimes. The issue is that since surgery, I think with not much effort my gas could be weaponized. Literally, like I am decomposing from the inside out.  I’m not sure if it’s the change in my diet, or if it has something to do with the malabsorption effects from the RNY, but jeeze.

It’s not like I can hold these in. I’ve tried. When I do, it feel like someone is trying to stick a knife in me. I’ve also tried walking away, but the darn things attach to me like a tail.

The issue is when I’m in a public place. I was at a conference last week, and had to leave the room to pass gas. When I returned, it came with me like it was attached. The worst was when I was working out at the hotel gym. The gym being the size of a normal room, held the whole fart in. I think the poor guy next to me threw up in his mouth a little bit.

Is this normal? Does it pass? Anything I can do about it?

Thanks for your help. I really don’t want to be standing in front of customers and let one of these bombs rip.

Don 1962
on 5/25/14 8:35 pm

Several comments for you:

1.  Learn your "trigger" foods.  Is there any particular food group that makes them worse? 

2.  Have you tried Gas-X or taking an OTC antacid?  Since day one I've taken a generic Pepcid daily and PRN.

3.  Get a pocket can of Lysol and "spritz" before coming back into the room.

It is not only males who have the gas issue post op.  I feel sorry for our fur child when my DW and I both get a case of the "winds".

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

takingcontrolguy
on 5/26/14 12:37 am - San Diego, CA
RNY on 12/10/13 with

Thanks for posting this problem - I don't feel so alone with exactly the same issue.  I've been traveling quite a bit lately as well and there were a few instances on the plane when I could only feel for the person sitting next to me.  They had to know it was me and I could not stop it.  Gas-X seems to work but that doesn't stop the unexpected episodes and awkward social moments when they just know it's you.  I can't figure out a food pattern either that makes it worse.

Mike R.
on 5/26/14 11:33 am, edited 5/26/14 11:34 am - Warner Robins, GA

Normal?  Was for me.  Worst the first year post-op.  Now almost 5 years post-op only happens about once per month usually after a bout of constipation.

For me I believe it gets worse when I don't get enough H2O which leads to dehydration which leads to constipation which leads to the gas bombs.

-Mike

HW: 392 lbs SW: 377.5 lbs
          CW: 215 lbs GW: 190 lbs

Daniel-L
on 5/31/14 9:56 pm - OR
RNY on 01/26/12

I got some relief from chewing a couple of Papaya tablets after meals. It is especially helpful when I was "dumping".  

Qajohn
on 5/31/14 10:44 pm - Woodbury, MN
RNY on 01/16/14

Thank you everyone for your replys. I understand that the Papya Tablets do help with digestion, and I also beleive that the gas problem is worse when I haven't had a good bowl movement lately.

My iron in my multivitamin is Ferrous Fumerate. I am wondering if this is contributing to the BM issue? My hemoglobin is way on the low side, so I am considering adding some additional iron to my vitamen regiment. I was going to add carbonyl iron, since this is supposed to be better for constipation. I may need to ditch my multivitaman altogether and switch to a version without iron, and take the iron seperatly. 

I was also reviewing my food diary and found I am not getting near enough fiber. I think I may start drinking some metamucil between meals to add some fiber to my diet. 

Lastly, the idea of taking colace or another stool softener may be a good one also. Although I'm not in any pain, I hate the ideal of not having a good BM only every two or three days. 

I think I am going to try the Papya tablets this week, and if they don't help move to colace. If you have any other idea's please let me know. I'll update again next week. 

billmacc7
on 6/1/14 6:42 am - MA

Great Post..

Burping...For me it is usually occurs if I eat too fast. Not sure if that is the case for u but it has gotten better since I have been eating slower

Bowel Movements-Luckily, this has not been an issue for me. However, I have noticed it is an issue for lots of folks post op.

Gas-THIS is something near and dear to me. I had really bad gas pre surgery. It got worse Post op and has been a source of difficulty for me. Usually, mine is worse if I am eating too many carbs, and it gets somewhat better if not. I have tried all types of things, but what has worked best is taking an OTC probiotic. Hope it gets  better for u

Yours in WLS Journey,

Bill Mac

MickeyDee
on 6/1/14 6:56 pm

Get some Devrom;  available online, it's a fecal deodorant.  Doesn't stop the gas but does take out the odor.  I chew 3 or 4 tabs at a time when needed.

Also, check your sugar alcohol intake;  anything that ends with "ol" is a gastric disaster.

Qajohn
on 6/1/14 11:02 pm - Woodbury, MN
RNY on 01/16/14

I never heard of this stuff. I'll take a look. Thank you for the tip. 

Qajohn
on 6/2/14 11:10 am - Woodbury, MN
RNY on 01/16/14

Alrighty, I ordered some of these magic pills. Pretty soon I'll be farting daisies!!

Thank you for the tip. I had never heard of this stuff. I hope it works. 

Except for the occasional protien bar, I don't eat many sugar alcohols. the protien bars may be an issue though I admit. 

Most Active
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 25 views
Recent Topics
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 25 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 59 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 82 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 93 views