Sunday Weigh In - In honor of Dr. Kuhn

Don 1962
on 7/26/14 10:34 pm

Joseph Allen Kuhn M.D.   October 3, 1958 - July 20, 2014 Obituary

Joseph Allen Kuhn M.D., 55, of Dallas passed away on a Sunday, July 20, 2014 to be with his Heavenly Father and Lord Jesus. He will always be remembered as a loving husband, father, surgeon and friend. Dr. Joseph Allen Kuhn was born in Ames, Iowa on October 3, 1958. He was proud of so many decisions in life which were always taken by trusting in God. He began his walk as an altar boy with his brothers Michael and Dan. He developed his early walk as a moral and hard-working Boy Scout, becoming an Eagle Scout thanks to the encouragement of his parents. He thanks his sisters Amy Kuhn, Tina Cain, and Patty Kelley with his gradual... Joseph Allen Kuhn M.D., 55, of Dallas passed away on a Sunday, July 20, 2014 to be with his Heavenly Father and Lord Jesus. He will always be remembered as a loving husband, father, surgeon and friend.

Dr. Joseph Allen Kuhn was born in Ames, Iowa on October 3, 1958. He was proud of so many decisions in life which were always taken by trusting in God. He began his walk as an altar boy with his brothers Michael and Dan. He developed his early walk as a moral and hard-working Boy Scout, becoming an Eagle Scout thanks to the encouragement of his parents. He thanks his sisters Amy Kuhn, Tina Cain, and Patty Kelley with his gradual spiritual and theatrical growth. Through God's grace, he managed to land at Texas A&M, where he met his soul mate and spouse, Mollie. Together, they managed medical school at UTMB in Galveston, then surgery residency at Baylor University Medical Center, a Surgical Oncology fellowship at the City of Hope in California, and the arrival of their blessed children, Kristin, Courtney, and Kevin. He treasured their times in Indian guides, dancing, acting, sports, scouts, and wilderness camping with each one, especially Northern Tier and Philmont with Kevin. Dr. Kuhn celebrated 36 years in so many ways and places with his God-joined mate and partner, Mollie. He was also graced with friends like the Shanahan family who brought him closer to a daily walk with Christ, and Dr. John Nemunaitis, who worked so hard to cure him through God's gift of gene and vaccine therapy.

Sadly, there wasn't enough time for Dr. Kuhn, but through these efforts there is increased hope for others.
In the course of over 15,000 surgical operations Dr. Kuhn performed, he was often heard to say "the surgeon does the destructive work; The Lord does the healing". Through his many years of scientific research, he was most proud of his work completed with his two daughters which revealed the challenges to Darwinism hoping ultimately that some would begin to see a Creator of all things wonderful.

Dr. Joseph Allen Kuhn was preceded in death by his father, Joseph Edward Kuhn last May, and is survived by his wife Mollie Bloodworth Kuhn and their children Kristin, Courtney and Kevin Kuhn all of Dallas, TX; his mother Charlotte Kuhn; two brothers and three sisters as well as brothers and sisters in-laws; and numerous nieces and nephews. Dr. Kuhn leaves behind a cavern of emptiness for not only his loved ones, but also to those he skillfully healed.

A Mass of Christian Burial will be at 2:00 pm on Monday, July 28, 2014 at St. Monica Catholic Church, 9933 Midway Road, Dallas, Texas 75220. Entombment will follow at Hillcrest Mausoleum and Memorial Park in Dallas, TX. In lieu of flowers, Memorials may be made in Dr. Kuhn's honor to the Mary Crowley Cancer Research Centers 1700 Pacific Avenue, Suite 1100 Dallas, Texas 75201 "In Honor of Joseph Allen Kuhn, M.D.", or online at www.marycrowley.org. Online condolences can be made at www.Sparkman-Hillcrest .com.

Last week:  174.8

This week:  175.4

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

Mike R.
on 7/27/14 7:19 am - Warner Robins, GA

@Don, condolences to Dr. Kuhn’s family, to you, and all those whom his professional and faith-walk have touched.  I know you value his service in how he transformed your and thousands of other lives in providing a second chance at a more healthful and vital life.  His passing is a reminder that we all are mortal and through the grace of God one is able to leave this Earth behind a little better than when we entered it.

My stats this week:

High weight:  392.0 lbs
Pre-op Weight 4 Aug 09:  377.5 lbs
      1st Surgiversary:  241.0 lbs
      2nd Surgiversary:  212.5 lbs
      3rd Surgiversary:  217.0 lbs
      4th Surgiversary:  214.0 lbs
             Last week:  227.0 lbs / 21.2% body fat / 170.0 lbs muscle mass
             This week:  225.4 lbs / 21.1% body fat / 169.2 lbs muscle mass

This week I’m down 1.6 lbs overall but have decreased muscle mass by 0.8 lbs.  This past week I made it to the gym on 4 days (2 days cardio & 2 days Physioslow strength).  I did well mindfully eating.  I’ll be on the road again this week.  Hopefully, I can make it to the hotel fitness center consistently and avoid the carb minefields.

Be safe & have a great week gentlemen!

-Mike

HW: 392 lbs SW: 377.5 lbs
          CW: 215 lbs GW: 190 lbs

cabin111
on 7/27/14 2:36 pm

For the last month I've stayed at 196...1 pound each side of it.  Would like to get lower, but really don't want to give up some of the simple carbs; tortilla chips, honey graham crackers, ice cream, and semi sweet chocolate chips (I will sneak from the freezer).  I exercise (work around the house/farm, mow the lawn, bike rides) as penance for my weakness...wickedness.  I found a badge of honor or age tonight...Batwings!!  I never had them.  I had the loose skin at the stomach, back of the legs, in the face (turkey neck).  But tonight I discovered batwings.  I think it's a combo of losing weight and getting older.  Oh well...Wear it as a badge of honor I guess.  Brian

Qajohn
on 7/28/14 5:22 am - Woodbury, MN
RNY on 01/16/14

@Don 1962, very sad to hear about Dr. Kuhn. he was taken way to early in life. 

Aftet two weeks, I dont think I did too bad

337.6:  High weight Dec '13

311.3:  Surgery day 1/16/14

218.8:  Two Weeks ago

214: CW (minus 4.8 for two weeks)

180.0: Goal weight

A week in Tampa on business and 10 days of vacation with family, and I was able to lose almost 5 pounds. I'll take it. I tried being mindful about eating, but I did go outside the box with ice cream. Who can pass up ice cream with grandkids :), as well as cake and ice cream for my Bday. I was able to get some good workouts in as well as a lot of walking which definitly helped last week. 

Back to the grindstone this week though. I got started with a good workout this morning, and should do OK with food the rest of the week. 

On another note, with my weight at 214 my BMI is 29.9 which makes me overweight......finally. I'm getting closer to my goal weigh every week which is nice to see. 

I hope everyone has a great week.

John 

Most Active
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 35 views
Recent Topics
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 35 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 61 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 81 views