8 years post RNY today...

cabin111
on 10/8/14 2:10 pm, edited 10/8/14 2:22 pm

Where does the time go??  I like to update every year I'm still alive.  I really didn't think I would be alive today.  For some of you this is an old story I've told...You can bypass most of it.  About 8 1/2 years ago my cardiologist said I was dying.  I asked if there was something that could be done?  He said "weight loss may help...But probably no".  I had an ejection fraction rate of 35%...Meaning my heart wasn't pumping hard enough.  I quickly went though the process for WLS...My insurance didn't cover it.  I had to pay about $24,000. for a chance to save my life.  I was about 300 pounds at the time.  Surgery went well...a few ups and downs (comes with older age)...But I'm still here. 

Trying to think of great words of wisdom for you newer guys on this forum.  Here are some basic things I have seen over the years...They are common sense but true.  1.  Follow doctor's orders concerning the surgery.  2.  Exercise when you are given the release to.  3.  Avoid simple carbs.  4.  Be as active as you can be. 

I'd like to go through these one by one for a minute...They seem so basic, but if you deviate you will probably have problems coming your way post op.  By following the doctor's orders (both pre op and post op) you have a chance for a better outcome from surgery.  There are reasons they say no lifting for a certain amount of days.  There is a reason for the weight loss before surgery (so the surgeon can work around the liver).  Concerning exercise it helps the weight to come off.  You become healthier and can move better because of the exercise.  If one type of exercise doesn't work, try something else.  One person walks, someone else swims...Find you fit...It's very important!!  We had a truck driver on this forum years ago...How could he get exercise after a long day on the road??  He drilled a bike rack to his cab.  Grabbed the bicycle and rode when he had time...Be creative.  Simple carbs are very addicting.  It's like going back to smoking or meth...Saying "I can handle it".  No, it's what got you as big as you are (were).  Even if you can't get exercise on certain days, you can still move.  Walk to the store...or ride the bike to the store.  Back east...Instead of having the teenager shovel the snowy walkway (if your health allows)...You do it.  Wash and clean out your car.  You say "I don't have a car and I live in an apartment"...Fine, go wash your windows...Go wash the old person's windows next door...Clean your fridge...Help family members with projects.  Just saying, by staying active you burn calories.  These are the same calories you need to burn because you probably are not eating right (finger pointing at myself).  I don't go much to the local support group, but when I do I can spot the ones who have followed the program (have kept the weight off).  They are the ones who have done the above steps.

Today I weighted 204...Good, but I'd like to be down to about 190...For my heart.  Life is good!!  I have retired.  I now run about 1/2 my errands on my bicycle.  Things like; doctors office, coffee shop, bank, dentist, store, church, drug store I ride on my bike.  I live in CA so about 10 months out of the year I can do it with no problems.  I am blessed.  People wonder what it's like to loose all that weight.  I tell them the mental side of weight loss surgery is harder than the physical side...Until you've been there you don't really understand.  I still think of the Robin William's movie "Awakenings".  If you have a chance to see (rent) this movie it is well worth it.  When the people awaken there is so much they want to do...So much lost time!!  Below is a link to the trailer.  My wife took a few pictures of me today...I'll try and post them as soon as I figure out how...Curse you Microsoft/OH...Always had problems posting the pictures.  I take a picture for every year of my surgery date...Many guys want to know what it looks like years and years out.  When first starting out the people here at OH were a big help...All the questions..."What about this?"  As time goes on, you just get out there living life...Take what you've been given and run with it.  Thanks for listening, Brian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAz-prw_W2A

Qajohn
on 10/8/14 10:17 pm - Woodbury, MN
RNY on 01/16/14

Thank you very much for your update. I've said before, that hearing success stories like yours and following veterans habits has been a huge benefit for me. I hope that as time goes on, I can take a page out of your book and help others as well. Keep up the great work!!!

Sammy D.
on 10/8/14 11:22 pm - New Bern, NC
VSG on 11/06/14

Great post and Inspiration! Congrats on your hard work and success. I bet your cardiologist is proud.

HW: 478+ Consult: 478 Pre Op: 453 SW: 438 CW: 293 (7-20-15) GW: 225 LBS Gone: 185

VSG with Dr. T. Ryan Heider at the Center for Surgical Weight Loss at Lake Norman 11-6-14

ACTS 2:38

Don 1962
on 10/9/14 12:12 am

I seldom use this word but it is awesome what you have accomplished in last eight years!  You nailed every bit of it in your advice to the new boots.  Now open the windows and doors!  That FART is reeking up the joint!

NotDave (Howyadoin?)
on 10/10/14 5:51 pm - Japan

Good news Brian! Congrats. Can't wait to see the pictures. Staying down and fit here, too. It can be done.

Dave

NotDave (Howyadoin?)
on 10/10/14 5:52 pm - Japan

Good news Brian! Congrats. Can't wait to see the pictures. Staying down and fit here, too. It can be done.

Dave

Most Active
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 24 views
Recent Topics
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 24 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 58 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 81 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In