Scheduled for RNY on Dec. 1

Zonechef
on 11/15/14 1:20 am
RNY on 12/03/14

Hello Guys,

I am fairly new here and scheduled for RNY on Dec. 1 (awaiting final insurance confirmation. I am 56yo. I am about 265 (295lbs 2 months ago. I lost 30lbs. in the past 2 month on the south beach diet) however losing weight has never been a problem for me, I seem to do well at it every 4 or 5 years but I always gain it back within 2-3 years. I guess I am going through many of the usual pre-surgery apprehensions. I currently have high blood pressure, high bad cholesterol and very low good cholesterol. I live alone with little family nearby so I am a bit concerned about taking care of myself post op. I only live 2 blocks from the Hospital where I am having my surgery. I am a chef as my handle imply s so my job is rather physically demanding so any advice on return to work time frame would be appreciated. Any and all tips on energy maintenance, hydration, protien intake, e.g. what worked for you ect. would be much appreciated as well as any other tips. Thanks in advance and really looking forward to this and moving toward a healthy life.

Qajohn
on 11/15/14 9:23 am - Woodbury, MN
RNY on 01/16/14

Welcome to the group. Its a pretty good bunch of guys. 

Regarding your recovery, we are all different. I had RnY surgery on January 16, and within a couple hours I was chomping at the bit to come home. I didn't need any extra pain meds and had zero problems. Again, YMMV. As @don1962 has said to others, be sure to keep sipping water and walk as much as you can tolerate. Make sure to follow your surgeons recomendations to the letter. 

Congratulations on taking this big step, and look forward to hearing from you in this forum. 

John 

Mike R.
on 11/16/14 6:34 am, edited 11/16/14 6:35 am - Warner Robins, GA

Congratulations and hang on for the ride of your life!  We're here to support you any way we can.  For 3 weeks post-op you will have limits to how much you can lift (usually 25 lbs max).  Most important post-op tip is to get enough water.  Dehydration is the enemy and believe me you will not want to eat or drink anything.  You will have to make the EFFORT to drink H2O, take your vitamin supplements religiously, and get the minimum protein.

Fortunately, I have an office job so I was able to return to work full time on the Monday following my surgery on Tuesday.  You are in good company - Chef Graham Elliot had VSG and was the keynote speaker at the 2014 ObesityHelp National Conference:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/fireside-chat-graham-ell iot-obesityhelp-national-conference 

Good luck!

-Mike

HW: 392 lbs SW: 377.5 lbs
          CW: 215 lbs GW: 190 lbs

Zonechef
on 11/16/14 10:33 am
RNY on 12/03/14

Hi Mike thanks so much for your advice and support.  The hydration and protein info is great you actually are the first to tell me that I won't be thirsty so that was very good info. I also feel a bit more at ease re: the pain. Two weeks from tomorrow and the journey begins. Thank you. 

cabin111
on 11/17/14 10:20 am, edited 11/17/14 10:21 am

Sip sip sip...You may not be able to get in all your water and protein, but do your best and you should be OK.  Also know the signs of dehydration...Copy of them up at work.  Dehydration is the # 1 reason RNY patients reenter the hospital...So if you are working to hard...Back off.  Below is a copy and paste I wrote many years ago about returning to work...

Concerning going back to work...What I tell guys...When you think your ready to go back, try and start the end of a week cycle and see how you do.  If your a Monday-Friday guy, I would come back on a Thursday and work Thursday and Friday 1/2 days.  See how you handle 4 hour days.  If that was easy, go to 8.  Remember you may be losing 1-2 pounds a day.  It can really zap your energy level.  Add the commute, and you can get drained.  Each person is different.  Brian

SUMO96
on 11/18/14 5:20 am - Dorado, Puerto Rico

Chef, I had RNY 12 days ago and also had those apprehensions. I traveled from Puerto Rico to Colombia for the surgery and had planned to spend 15 days post op alone.  At the last moment my wife traveled for the surgery and three days post op.  The only things that was a benefit was for getting me dressed after surgery and taking a shower the first two days.  Here a couple of pointers that I had planned before surgery for spending the time alone.

• Handheld shower head for the first couple of days.  You will no be able to bend at the waist.
  • leave everything you need counter height.  Gauze, alcohol swipes, meds, clothing, etc.
  • lazy boy will be your best friend.  Between sipping and walking spend your time and sleep there instead of in the bed.
  • have a surgery buddy.  Someone you can call, text, or email every two hours the first five days.  Buddy is responsible to call ambulance or dr if you don't answer.  Give them all the info.
  • prep anything you will need to eat and drink beforehand.  Freeze consume, jello, Popsicles, etc

I could go back to kitchen life (done that) by the 16th day.  Please remember the lifting restrictions.  Also, need to be special careful with hydration in the kitchen.  My dr lets me drink Gatorade and I use it as well as propel water.   

Best of luck and it is probably the best decision you have done in a long time.  Sure it has been for me.

Zonechef
on 11/18/14 7:43 am
RNY on 12/03/14

That some great advice Sum096. I was definitely concerned about the showering and I don't have a hand held shower head but I will pick one up. Also I will check with my surgeon re:-the Gatorade. The timeline you gave gives me an idea of when I can return to work. Appreciate it.  My wife lives in the Dominican Republic and won't be here for quite some time (currently going through the immigration process}, so I will have one of my sons who lives a couple hours away as my surgery buddy-another great suggestion. Good luck to you and I look forward to hearing of your progress.

SUMO96
on 11/18/14 8:00 pm - Dorado, Puerto Rico

Chef, another of my "great" discoveries in this process and through OH was compression shirts.  I started wearing Under Armour Heat Gear shirts.  These synthetics work a lot better as undershirts than the cottons I had always worn.  It keeps you a lot cooler and at the same time everything stays in place.  

RNY 11/7/2014. Pereira, Colombia  HW 375lbs

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Zonechef
on 11/18/14 9:28 pm
RNY on 12/03/14

That's news to me. When you say it keeps everything in place do you mean that it cuts down movement to reduce pain?

SUMO96
on 11/19/14 9:03 pm - Dorado, Puerto Rico

Ni, it does not help with pain.  It just compresses your love handles and makes you feel better. 

RNY 11/7/2014. Pereira, Colombia  HW 375lbs

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Most Active
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 36 views
Recent Topics
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 36 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 62 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 82 views