Workout supplements

sechax0r
on 12/15/14 10:17 am
VSG on 11/03/14

So I have been working out with a trainer. We have been doing all around circuit work outs 3 times a week. We have been hitting each muscle group and I feel I am getting stronger. I really want to take it to the next level. I know it's hard to get enough in to build a lot of muscle so any supplement ideas?

Thanks guys. 

Qajohn
on 12/15/14 10:00 pm - Woodbury, MN
RNY on 01/16/14

I asked this same question of several people when I started working out after my surgery. Basically, I couldn't find an answer (or more precisely, I couldn't find anyone who knew). I came to my own conclusion that I would work on losing weight first, building muscle second and then when I hit my goal, work on building more muscle. Since we can’t eat very much, and need to limit our calories, it’s tough to both build muscle mass and lose fat at the same time. You’re best bet is to keep focusing on protein which is what you need to build muscle. I wouldn’t worry about supplements just yet unless you are close to your maintenance weight.

I was working out with a trainer two – three times a week and then doing my own cardio two – three times a week. I’ve since stopped working out that much, but I believe that the muscle that you can keep or build now and in the future burns more calories than fats does (pound for pound) whish will help us to maintain the weight we lose. 

sechax0r
on 12/15/14 10:06 pm
VSG on 11/03/14

Thanks for the response! I have been really enjoying my workouts. I can see myself getting hooked on going to the gym. My trainer really motivates me and makes me want to work hard. What was the reason you stopped? Just time constraints or did something undesirable happen?

I did switch around when I take my protein shakes and try to focus them before workouts. I bought some more souped up protein with BCAAs and other crap in them. I think I will just do that for now. I can tell you one thing, my workouts make me hungry but luckily 2oz of protein shuts that down. 

Qajohn
on 12/15/14 11:06 pm, edited 12/16/14 1:34 am - Woodbury, MN
RNY on 01/16/14

I didn't stop, I slowed down. I was working with a trainer 2 - 3 times a week, and at teh end of the year it becomes a cost thing. I will restart with the trainer in March, but given the cost I don't know how long term that will be. I learned a lot from the trainer, but I still don't feel that confident in my knowledge when I go to the gym. Additionally, the trainer helps keep me accountable. I like that. These days, I'm pretty busy at work, which makes things tough. I still get to the gym 3 - 4 times a week, I am just not the workout warrior I was 6 months ago.

I get incredibly hungry after a long workout. Last saturday, I was at the gym for 1 1/2 hours doing 60 min of cardio and 30 min of strength training. I wear a heart moniter to calculate my calorie burn, and based on that montor I burned 1200 calories. I had a hard time the rest of the day staying full. The 2oz of protein doesn't do it for me anymore. 

sechax0r
on 12/15/14 11:32 pm
VSG on 11/03/14

I agree, it is expensive. Mine is pretty spicy at $50 a session and 3 times a week but so far it is worth it.

Jeffboutwell77
on 1/19/15 11:31 pm, edited 1/19/15 11:32 pm - San Antonio, TX
RNY on 09/18/12

If you drink protein before you work out and then have a small meal after it helps regulate the hunger. Just make sure you drink the protein shake 20 to 30 grams at least 30 minutes before the workout. I do an intense weight training regimen for two to three hours a day four days a week and the protein sustains my energy so that I do not become hungry half way through my workout. Afterwards I eat a high protein dinner it keeps my hunger at bay.Also make sure you drink lots of water during your workout it will help as well.

Hope this helps

Jeff

LIFE IS HARD, BUT GIVING UP HAS NO REWARDS!!!

Qajohn
on 1/20/15 7:16 am - Woodbury, MN
RNY on 01/16/14

Great points!!

Han Shot First
on 1/21/15 1:34 am - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

John, I'm glad to see you write that.  My thoughts on exercise were the same:  First priority to lose weight, second to build muscle as I could.  

--

150 lost and maintaining!

MegZorar
on 1/20/15 7:34 am

Try posting this to the exercise board as well. They might have some answers too:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/fitness

Paul C.
on 2/10/15 2:06 am - Cumming, GA

If you are doing weights and trying to bulk then an increase in Protein is going to help you.  Post workout some protein and carbs within 45 min are going to help get you recovered for the next session.  I would add some BCAA and Glutamine to help with recovery.  Key to remember is that you want to be careful of over doing it at Anti Inflammatories are a no go.  I suffer many days in my peak training because I can't take them. 

Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Most Active
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 23 views
Recent Topics
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 23 views
Sunday Weigh In