Any truck drivers?

Markus149
on 1/10/15 5:07 am - Wasaga beach, Canada

Wondering if there are any truck driver that have had the rny procedure dome?  How do you find it with the food you can eat?  I work for a food distributor. I deliver to resturants. My shifts are 8-14 hrs, depending on season. I am up and down a ramp, up and down stairs all day. So i was wondering how your energy levels are, and what kinda stuff can you eat? As i pack a lunch box.  I have a consult in april, but want to go a head with the surgery.

Qajohn
on 1/10/15 5:32 am, edited 1/10/15 5:33 am - Woodbury, MN
RNY on 01/16/14

Welcome to the group!!

I'm not a truck driver, but based on your post it sounds like you get a lot of lifting in. After surgery, you'll have to wait a little while before your doctor clears you to lift. You'll need to factor that into your recovery. 

If you're already packing your own lunch, you'll do great with meals. One key to sucess is planning, and if you pack your lunch, you're already most of the way there. You're individual eating plan will depend on your surgeon. Some people drink protein shakes in addition to solid foods, my plan transitioned to solid foods over a couple week period, but they really don't want me drinking calories anymore. With the exception of some fruit bars for snacks, I follow that pretty religously.

With your job description, it sounds like you'll get lots of natural excersize in, which is very good. Regarding energy levels, we are all different. The sooner you get up and walk after surgery, and the more water you can sip along with your shakes/food, the sooner you'll get you energy back. I can only speak for myself, but I literally cannot remember having as much energy as I do now in my entire adult life. I shoudl have done this years ago. 

Let us know how you progress, and if you have any questions post away!!

Good Luck

Han Shot First
on 1/10/15 11:54 pm - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

I was off of work for two weeks, and that is as a high school teacher that could sit at my desk after I returned to work.  With the physical demands of your job, I wouldn't be surprised if your doctor wanted you off for at least 4 weeks afterwards.  Also, I had physical restrictions for the first 6 weeks, where I wasn't allowed to lift or push more than 10 pounds.  That could mean that you would be off for that long.

My energy started to come back after the 6 weeks.  I was really sluggish and tired during the day until then, and then it picked up for me.  

Every surgeon has different diet plans, but like John said, packing your lunch will make sure you'll eat as you need to.  Keeping a cooler in your truck will let you have all the stuff your doctor recommends.  You do have to eat slowly after surgery, so hopefully you'll be able to take a break during mealtimes for 30 minutes or so and take your time.

It was totally worth it for me and so many others, so hopefully your consult goes well, and we see you around here!

--

150 lost and maintaining!

Most Active
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 26 views
Recent Topics
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 26 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 61 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 84 views