I'm getting RNY on Feb 2. How bad is this gonna hurt?

Teddydavis4
on 1/12/15 6:56 am

I'm getting RNY on Feb 2 and wondering if anyone has done construction or similar occupation after surgery. How long should it be before I can do work. Doctor is saying when I feel ready after about six weeks. But I am wondering about lifting heavy stuff. I also was not aware, until I read here, of the duration and extent of post-op pain.

Qajohn
on 1/12/15 11:41 am - Woodbury, MN
RNY on 01/16/14

Firstly Teddy, welcome to the group, and best of luck with your surgery.

I think most people have diffrent experiances with their surgery. This is a major operation, and you'd be wise to treat it that way. Others should chime in, but I'll tell you about my experiance. 

I was up and walking within only a couple hours of surgery. After about 6 hours I was ready to come home, but I stayed the night. The next morning, I was walking again and by lunch I was home. Although I had a couple pain shots at night, I didnt need any daytime pain meds at the hospital, nor at home. When I got home, I made a point to walk as much as I could, and within 3 - 4 days I was able to walk a 5K (indoors at the MOA, so no hills). At my three week appointment, I was cleared by my surgeon for any activity and I started doing more cardio. I started working out with a trainer at about 6 weeks. I personally don't think my recovery was typical. If your job requires a lot of heavy lifting, I would take it easy until your sure you wont injure anything. Your surgeon should be your guide, listen to him or her. 

Best of luck with your journey, and keep checking in. 

One last thing, if your surgery is scheduled for Feb 2, you should either be starting, or have started your pre-op diet. Dont cheat. This pre-op diet is important to make sure that you shrink your liver to give your surgeon more room to work. Whether true or not, I attribute at least a portion of my success with how well I think I did on the pre-op diet. 

Jeffboutwell77
on 1/12/15 11:13 pm - San Antonio, TX
RNY on 09/18/12

I was a handy man and did not go back to wor****il one month after post op. and when I did i learned techniques to working without a lot of heavy lifting. Use wheels and the back of a pickup and when you can't get someone to help. it is best if you keep the lifting under 25lb. Your tummy will thank you for it... good luck with surgery and I wish you success.

LIFE IS HARD, BUT GIVING UP HAS NO REWARDS!!!

Don 1962
on 1/13/15 1:45 am

See you found us! 

Wife is from SA. River Walk not bad Christmas 2013. Miterra's ok. Alamo Cafe - it was protein.

Jeffboutwell77
on 1/13/15 10:28 pm - San Antonio, TX
RNY on 09/18/12

Went to Alamo Cafe a couple of weeks ago scared to try their dinners but the fajitas went down smooth. I could only take in one tortilla though times have changed for me since I got my upgraded pouch. I used to be able to put away some Tex-mex..

LIFE IS HARD, BUT GIVING UP HAS NO REWARDS!!!

Don 1962
on 1/13/15 10:44 pm

My DW could do Tex-Mex seven days a week if she could.  She tells the story that when she was pregnant with her son she would crave the queso from Mi Tierra Café.  If her then husband would not go for her she would get up during the night and go get it since they were open 24 hours.

Roger that on packing away the Tex-Mex in a past life. My limit now is a Chalupa/tostada or a single enchilada with some beans and rice. 

Han Shot First
on 1/13/15 7:13 am - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

I don't do construction or anything like that, but after my surgery, I was on 10 lbs restriction for six weeks.  I was then cleared with no restrictions afterwards.  It sounds like your doctor is the same.

I was pretty sore for about a week or so afterwards.  Then everything was tender for probably 2-3 more weeks.  After that, I didn't really hurt, but everything felt just kind of weird, like I could feel things shifting when I would roll over.  By the time I hit the six week mark, I felt back to normal (well, actually better, because of the weight I lost).  I was weaker having done so little the previous six weeks, but it didn't take too long to get back to it.

--

150 lost and maintaining!

cabin111
on 1/13/15 12:25 pm

Pain, about 2-4 days (use pain meds if needed).  After that is more discomfort that you can live with...Like when you have pulled a muscle, but don't bother to take any meds...That type of discomfort...That last about another 10 days.  Concerning work, follow doctor orders....Like others have said it is major surgery.  With men and young women the weight comes off faster than older women.  Men have a larger muscle structure so we burn more energy.  Younger women can move better (take the same woman at 30 vs 50, with the same weight, at 30 she just has more energy...Just saying).  The weight comes off very fast.  In 1 week I lost 10 pounds!!  That can really drain you.  You try and grab for energy, but it just isn't there.  That can be very frustrating.  The endurance come back...But to really get back up to speed it may take many months.  Doing hard physical work really helps with the weightloss.  I found when I would exercise I wouldn't lose the weight.  But when I did hard physical work the weight would drop.  Remember too you will lose some muscle mass!  Your stomach will be the size of a walnut...if your body can't burn energy from fat (though your liver) it will use muscle for it's energy.  It may take awhile (maybe even a year) for you to build up the muscle that you have now.  But on the other side you will be able to move better and faster.  Things like walking up stairs will come much easier.  But working cement make come harder for quite awhile.  My 2 cents.  Brian  PS  Know the signs of dehydration.  If you work hard outside it can be a problem.  Dehydration is the # 1 reason WLS people reenter the hospital...Know the signs!!  Try and go back to work the first few days buy doing 1/2 days...4 hour shifts.  See how you handle it.  If you are good, work longer days. 

Don 1962
on 1/13/15 10:46 pm

Dittos to what he said ^^^^^^^ especially the part about dehydration.

Douglas R.
on 1/20/15 12:49 am

Teddy:

I was really concerned too about post op pain.  I had my RNY in Jan. 2003 and remember waking up in recovery room.  I didn't have any surgery pain.  I was just uncomfortable in that my back hurt from all the gas they pump in you.  When I got up and started walking - I felt much better.  3 days post op I was walking around the block in my neighborhood.  Take advantage of the 18 month window to exercise and get to the gym as much as possible.  It will tone you up and you will feel great.  All the best.  DOUG

Most Active
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 31 views
Recent Topics
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 31 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 58 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 78 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 3 replies · 91 views