on 2/7/15 11:09 pm - Woodbury, MN
RNY on 01/16/14

Don't Give Up

337.6:  High weight Dec '13

311.3:  Surgery day 1/16/14

190.6:  Last Weigh in

192.8: CW

180.0: Goal weight

Since I started this journey (I hate that term), I changed my goal from 200# to 190# to eventually 180#. Even though my weight fluctuates a lot these days due to many factors, I'm still hoping that my weight is dropping overall. The weeks of 4# lost are very much behind me, but now that I am losing about 1# a month or so, it’s more important than ever to stay focused. I don't know if I'll get to my goal of 180#, and if I don't I'm OK with that. With that said. I am more focused than ever at making sure that I develop good habits for the long haul. 

This past week, I was able to work out three times, and was very diligent with water and vitamins. Foodwise, I continually deal with nighttime demons. I eat more calories than I thought I ever could, but as I read various blogs etc, I think I am good still. At my current weight, I am happy to start worrying more about body composition than what the scale says. 

I had my one year follow up with the Bariatric dr last week. According to their results, I have lost 81% of my excess weight. Pretty good considering they expect their patients to lose between 60 and 80%. This may be part of the reason I am ok with transitioning my thought process. My Dr does a terrible job ordering labs, which is why I am starting the process of visiting a new clinic, but the labs he did order show good results on all my vitamins. I must be doing something right :)

I am traveling Monday through Friday next week. Fortunately the sales guy I am traveling with is a workout warrior. He’s already told me he'd pick me up and take me to his gym in the mornings. I'm expecting a good week. 

Sorry for the long past, I had some stuff I needed to get off my chest. I hope you all had a great week last week, and a better week coming up

NateH
on 2/8/15 12:04 am
VSG on 09/26/14

Here's me... not my best week. At all. 

LW: 333.8
TW: 331.8

Week Loss: 2.0

Post-Surgery 9/26/2014 Loss: 96.2
Total Loss: 118.2

This was my lowest losing week since I started losing. I only worked out 1 time this week, and it shows. I'm not making excuses, I know I could have done better, but I was so busy at work and we had a blizzard that made just getting outside hard for a couple of days. With that, I got my ass in gear and moved 4 miles yesterday and then another 1.5 mile "jog" (it's still snowy/icy so I was very slow/careful) later in the evening.

I have my next check-in with my surgeon this Wednesday, so I'm very curious to get my labs and see how I'm doing being just over 4 months out of surgery.  

@Qajohn: Sounds like you got a great week ahead planned! It helps having a buddy to encourage you to stay motivated. And congrats on the 81% of excess weight - very impressive! It's great to know that numbers like that are possible and helps me keep fighting to keep losing. Thanks so much for sharing. And, for what it's worth, I think "started this journey" sounds so incredibly hokey. :) 

HW: 450
SW: 428 9/26/14
Reached 'normal' BMI (24.9) with a weight of 199.9: 2/5/2016

Qajohn
on 2/8/15 7:32 am - Woodbury, MN
RNY on 01/16/14

Probably my biggest takeaway from this forum and to a lesser extent the other forums, is learning from the veterans. My mom had surgery i***** and basically gained all her weight back. I did not want that to happen to me. I learn from all the sources I can get my hands on and then make my own path.

Knowing there are successful people who post here regularly keeps me motivated and engaged. I am eternally grateful to these folks. 

Great job with the excersize. I was almost stuck in Grand Rapids MI during that storm. Fortunatly I was only an hour delayed getting home. I just cant bring myself to excersize outdoors in the winter. Good luck with your Dr visit. 

Mike R.
on 2/8/15 12:27 am - Warner Robins, GA

@John, congrats on the 81%!

@NateH, don’t get discouraged.  You may be headed to a stall for a couple of weeks.  It’s like your body after 3-4 months of serious weight loss has to take a rest for a few weeks.  During a stall you’ll probably continue to notice some reshaping (i.e. inches lost in some areas) though no overall weight loss.  Just keep working the program and you'll come out of it even stronger.

My stats this week:

High weight:  392.0 lbs
Pre-op Weight 4 Aug 09:  377.5 lbs
      1st Surgiversary:  241.0 lbs
      2nd Surgiversary:  212.5 lbs
      3rd Surgiversary:  217.0 lbs
      4th Surgiversary:  214.0 lbs
      5th Surgiversary:  223.0 lbs
             Last week:  224.2 lbs / 22.5% body fat / 165.2 lbs muscle mass
             This week:  221.6 lbs / 22.9% body fat / 162.6 lbs muscle mass

I’m down another 2.6 lbs overall this week but down 2.6 lbs muscle mass.  I made it to the gym on 5 days this past week for both cardio and strength training.  I did ok mindfully eating and water intake.  My body water is down 1% and muscle mass has dropped again.  Hopefully, I’ll recover this week.

Be safe & have a great week gentlemen!

-Mike

HW: 392 lbs SW: 377.5 lbs
          CW: 215 lbs GW: 190 lbs

Qajohn
on 2/8/15 7:34 am - Woodbury, MN
RNY on 01/16/14

Keeping that muscle mass in check looks like its a moving target.

Don 1962
on 2/8/15 1:22 am

Last week:  171.6

This week:  173.0

Still below the red line so all good.

Qajohn
on 2/8/15 7:35 am - Woodbury, MN
RNY on 01/16/14

Below the red line is good. Just out of curiosity, how did you determine your red line, and when in the process did you determine your red line?

Don 1962
on 2/8/15 7:29 pm

175 is my "red line".  As to "when in the process" I came up with it was several years in.  Initially we are in "Lose!  Lose!  Lose!" mode then the maintaining begins when you hit your lowest weight.  I made it down to 165-166 around 18 months out after having my gall bladder removed.  I tried to keep it at 170 for the longest but found it not happening and creeping upward.  So I skewed the data up to 175 as the "red line" because that is where the scales tended to hang.  I allow some fluctuation and try to not kick myself in the ass till I start creeping up to 178-180.  Then I pay attention!  I know then to back off eating crap and getting more exercise. 

billmacc7
on 2/8/15 2:22 am - MA

The Numbers:
346: All time high 7/1/10 - BMI = 52
326: Tufts Medical Center, Surgery 12/27/10 BMI=49

208: 1/25/15-->0 lb gain BMI=30

209: 2/8/15---1 lb Gain BMI=30

137 Total Weight Loss

Well, small tick up. Still, happy as even though the scale does not show it had a pretty good week in terms of eating, exrecise, and vitamins/water. Being over 4 years Post op I have had to battle with Maintenance. I had gotten to an all time low of 196, but now hover around the 210 mark. Still, like others have said sometimes need to evaluate where I have been and feel thankful for having lost close to 140lbs!!!

As I commented, good week of exercise. Even with more snow than in the Arcitc was able to exercise 5 out of 7 days. Actually, I love to exercise but not for weight loss but more for mental health!

Vitamins and Water are good overall which are important to the whole program as well so need to stay consistent with them.

Being a NE Pats life long fan, happy Brady & Belicheck got their 4th ring ...it was not easy as Seattle is a great team, but that last play was one of the best ever!!!!!!!!! 

Have a great week!

Yours in WLS Journey,

Bill Mac

Qajohn
on 2/8/15 7:36 am - Woodbury, MN
RNY on 01/16/14

Maintaing this weight loss scares the Bejezzus out of me. Maintaining 140# for 4 years is a fantastic job.

Most Active
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 29 views
Recent Topics
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 29 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 57 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 77 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 3 replies · 90 views