Surgery is one week out.

ChillOutWayne
on 2/23/15 4:43 am
RNY on 03/02/15

Note: I did post this up in the RNY forum but received a few messages recommending to post it in here letting me know there might be more people to relate to in the men's section. 

First off I want to say what a great resource this site and all of you have been, I started the preparation part of this process a few months ago and gained enormous intellect from this site and its users. I found myself lost for hours at a time just absorbing everyone's experience and stories, they have been great. Sorry if this ends up pretty long, but I enjoyed everyone's full stories and experiences so hopefully someone does for mine as well.

I am 31 years old and have battled weight my entire life. I have done the usual Atkins/SeattleSutton/WW/low calorie and although found great success at times, I always falter and fail to find that long term consistency. I have always wanted to be healthier, its not a matter of mental drive for me, it always comes down to a minor breakdown that ultimately results in catastrophic failure back the other way. Knowing that I can lose the weight has always worked against me, I always can tell myself "I can start next week."

Outside of my weight I am a healthy 31 year old man. I have normal/high blood pressure and zero other comorbities due to my weight. I am currently at 310lbs and stand 5'11", and although not my highest weight (320 when I was 22), I am aware of the path I laid for myself, history repeats itself...whats that phrase..."insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results." It was time for me to explore my options in a healthy way and consider the long term healthy life that I want. I will be getting married at the end of this year, and by no means want to consider this a 'starting a new life' but rather an opportunity to continue life happier and healthier.

My insurance started this year on January 1st, and I already had my psychiatric evaluation, pulmonary exam and surgeon meeting appointments all set as of November 14'. I met all of those appointments, plus a cardiology appointment, had my upper scope done (I have a hiatal hernia as well, which from what I have been told is common) and received insurance approval 1 week after scope, about 3 weeks ago. I definitely feel fortunate that the time between my first appointment that I had to meet for surgery and my actual surgery date is just about 2 months.  My surgeon noted due to my age, overall health and the fact that I am a man (no offense ladies) that I should have great success if I stay focused. I am continuing to see my therapist weekly, and plan to throughout this process and long term. I feel I want to utilize every opportunity I have to be successful, and understanding and discussing the things that have caused me to falter before will be vital in this process.

My surgery date is set for Monday, March 2nd. I am stocked up on premier protein to start my protein/liquid diet today. I am not only excited for the results and starting a healthier lifestyle, but also to the challenge and proving to myself I can make healthy decisions for a long term, permanent lifestyle. My aunt, who is 48 and also my Godmother, has been a great motivator as well. She had RNY 15 months ago, hit her goal weight about 2 months ago and feels incredible. It's amazing to see how great she feels and how confident she is in herself, all while being the same awesome person she was before.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to being a part of this site and its supportive community, specifically joining all of you who have had success!

Don 1962
on 2/23/15 7:46 am

Hey Wayne!

Congrats on getting your surgery on the docket  for next week.  Your aunt will be a good help to you having BTDT herself.

Hang on for one HELL OF A RIDE!!

cabin111
on 2/23/15 12:12 pm

You have several things going for you.  Your age, weight (you are considered a lightweight by surgeons), and you are a male...We have a bigger muscles mass so we burn calories faster and easier.  Don't load up too much on your protein powder.  Your tastes will change...So what you like now, you may hate later.  Try your protein powder with milk post op.  It will help with the liquid and with the protein needed.  You may want to take a look at my profile.  I was about 300 pounds at my highest...5'11".  You can see on the pictures how low I got to.  It only took me 6 months and 10 days to get from 272 (day of surgery) to 190 goal.  You may very.  My surgeon told me I was a medium frame...I just laughed at him.  Sure enough he was right...I couldn't see it behind all the fat.  Ask a lot of questions on the RNY board and here.  You should get quick answers...May not be right, but quick.

A few quick notes to remember...I know there is so much to take it.  The nice thing is that so many people have had the surgery, you can find many around you that can help with the questions.  Reminders;  The first few months if your nose starts to drip or you get the hickups...STOP EATING!!  Your pouch is full...Do not pass go, do not collect $200.  After surgery the reason you will be sore near your bellybutton is because that is where they put the camera for the surgery.  Walk, sip, rest, repeat over and over the first few weeks.  Sleep when and where you can the first few weeks...It helps with the healing process.  It will be hard to get comfortable...Use pillows in creative ways.  When you try something solid, taste it and wait a few minutes...See how the pouch handles it.  If it doesn't feel right down there STOP!!  Wait till if feels it has passed.  Esp when you test new foods like meats.  You may find beef, pork, deer hard to digest.  You may get the foamies.  On the RNY board they can explain them to you.  You can't throw up, but you can't get the thing out of your pouch...So you sit or stand in front of the sink and spit and spit up foam for hours.  All the best on your journey.  One last question...Can you explain how the Bears beat the 49ers this year!!  Yeah, I could see it coming...It was the start of the downfall for the rest of the year...But the Bears!!  Very hard loss for the 49er fans.  Brian 

ChillOutWayne
on 2/24/15 6:49 am
RNY on 03/02/15

Thanks for the replies guys, 2nd day into the protein diet and so far no issues. Its the surgery that is mostly on my mind now, I have never had major surgery before so its something that makes me a little anxious. I will definitely look to this site for information and support as time goes on. I only have my aunt in person that I can share the experience with, and with that comes some self-questioning since its not something I am around alot in person.

Thanks for those tips with the hiccups and runny nose, I will definitely make note of that. I also purchased only enough protein to get me thru this week averaging 4-5 a day. I did make a note from research and my bariatric department in which I am getting surgery thru that my tastes will change drastically after surgery, and since I have at least one week of clear liquids after surgery I wont have to immediately worry about finding protein right when I get back home. My aunt uses Unjury brand protein every day and she loves it, so I might give that a try.

As far as the Bears go, there is really only one explanation to that victory...Colin Kaepernick. He tried everything in his power to give that ball away and 3 times was just enough to throw the game. It ultimately didn't matter for either of our teams tho, we both just right in the toilet from there. Oh well, always next year, right?

Han Shot First
on 2/24/15 8:03 am - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

As a Michigan fan, I have to say that I'm pleased with how the 49ers season went.  Sorry.  

--

150 lost and maintaining!

ChillOutWayne
on 2/24/15 9:43 am
RNY on 03/02/15

I think Harbaugh was coming your way with anything short of them winning super bowl, but it certainly didn't hurt, ha. 

NateH
on 2/24/15 9:19 pm
VSG on 09/26/14

Good luck and I'm sure you'll do great! My only tip is after surgery, walk as much as you can. I know it will hurt and suck but moving will make things happen faster. And just do what you can, there's no pressure and no 'right' way to do any of this. 

Are you in Chicago? I'm in the South Loop and had my surgery at U of Chicago. 

Congrats on taking this big step to your health! 

HW: 450
SW: 428 9/26/14
Reached 'normal' BMI (24.9) with a weight of 199.9: 2/5/2016

ChillOutWayne
on 2/25/15 4:53 am
RNY on 03/02/15

Thanks, I appreciate the tips. I definitely plan on trying to get up and about as quickly as possible to help the healing process as much as I can. 

I am in the south suburbs, I'll be having surgery at Little Company of Mary hospital. 

Michael0039
on 2/25/15 11:15 am

My surgery was December 22, 2014.  It's the best decision I ever made for myself. I am much older than you but started the journey weighing 328.8.  

Today February 25, 2015 I have lost 58 pounds.  Premier Protein Choc is my best friend along with 100% fruit cups in 100% natural juice.  

The first week is pure hell but it's only up from that point.  I would do the surgery over and over to achieve these results.  

One thing to remember I have had zero problems and I'm 56 however I do exactly what the physician says.  If you do must of your weight will be gone by July. 

Good of luck my friend. You will never look back or be sorry.  Please enjoy your new life. It's wonderful!!

ChillOutWayne
on 3/2/15 12:29 pm
RNY on 03/02/15

Surgery all done! Had the procedure this morning at 930 and made it back to my room here around 2. Dr said it went textbook and also got my hiatal hernia fixed as well. I'm on ice chips whi*****redible in my desert mouth. The only pain I have is in my left side upper chest/shoulder area and the whole abdomen area feels very "crampy" and some pain around the drain area. Taking deep breaths or maneuvering is pretty difficult. Still using my breathing tool every hour ten times. I got up not long ago and made the move to the chair, feel slightly better in chair sitting up. Anyone else get the cramping/pain in abdomen area later in the day of surgery? Did it just pass on its own? 

I'll update as things go along! 

Most Active
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 22 views
Recent Topics
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 22 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 55 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 78 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In