Eating normal

Chrisarchila
on 3/1/15 5:16 pm

Hey Chris here, I had gastric bypass 9 days ago. I was wondering if I'm ever gonna b able to eat rice again? Gotta admit,I've been feeling a bit depressed. Feel a sence of regret in a way, but I know in my heart that I've made one of the best dicisions of my life, So basically I just want to know from experience if I'm gonna be able to eat the foods I enjoy again (in moderation of course)?

Don 1962
on 3/1/15 7:19 pm

A case of the "what the hell have I done to myself"'s is common and they will pass.

Rice is pure carbs so need to avoid it early out.  Also a grain of under cooked rice could get caught in a new suture line and cause you problems.  Now, with time you'll be able to eat it in moderation.  My favorite meal at my local donut shop / Chinese food place is shrimp fried rice.  I pick the shrimp and eggs out for the protein but the rice, unless it is stuck to the shrimp, I leave alone. 

Welcome to the Board!

Qajohn
on 3/1/15 11:32 pm - Woodbury, MN
RNY on 01/16/14

When I made the decision to have surgury, I promised myself that I would still be able to enjoy food. Even if its a bite. Since Itravel nearly every week, I don't always get to choose where I eat, or even what I eat. I have been tolerant of pretty much everything I've eaten ****il recently experiancing RH), so I have not regretted any part of the decision. Now, I realize that I probably would be at my goal weight by now had I dropped some foods from my diet, but I am looking at the long haul here. 

Like Don said, welcome to our board. Hope to see you back.

Han Shot First
on 3/2/15 12:20 am - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

I had these same thoughts also, but like the other guys said, it'll pass.  I'm still pretty early out, and I still have a little more than 30 pounds to go, but I will sometimes have a bite or two of rice, pizza, etc.  I don't let myself have anything more than that, because I don't want to sabotage myself.  And I don't always have it, but it does a pretty good job of taking care of my cravings.  

My doctor's plan actually calls for me to have some carbs at this point, including bread, rice, etc., but I stay away from it because I'm trying to maximize my weight loss in these early months.  I'm kind of nervous about adding them back in, because I worry about eating in moderation, so I'm going to wait until I get to my ultimate goal weight.  I know I'm going to have to watch things very closely to make sure I don't get off track.

--

150 lost and maintaining!

bulldog76ss
on 3/2/15 2:29 am - OH

I'm 16 months out. Couldn't tolerate rice at all until a couple of months ago.  Now I can eat some but only a couple of spoon fulls.  Try to avoid heavy carbs, especially sugary stuff and cereals as much as possible.  At 16 weeks I can tolerate most anything except course hamburger and fatty meats.  Eating about 1000 calories per day, give or take 100.

HW: 561, SW 511, CW 305

Chrisarchila
on 3/2/15 7:28 am

Thanks for the info guys, you hit it right on the money! I'm going thru "what did I just do " phase. So many mix emotions, I feel like I'm never ever gonna feel normal again I guess I'm just scared! One thing that gets me even more depress is that all I've been doing since the surgery is going online and reading up on people that didn't do so well, complications, malnutrition etc. thanks for the support dough, it really helps. One more thing, is it normal to feel light headed not dizzy but a bit dazed 10 days after the surgery? Thanks!!

Don 1962
on 3/2/15 8:43 pm

Stay away from the negative stories related to WLS.  Don't deny the possibility of it happening to you but dwell on complications either.  Other than a case of flu/benadryl induced dehydration that put me in the hospital for a couple of days no other issues in seven years.

ChillOutWayne
on 3/7/15 4:22 am
RNY on 03/02/15

I had my surgery this past Monday, March 2nd. I got back home on Thursday and finally passing some of this terrible cramping/gas and feeling better. However I am right there with ya mentally. I'm having the thoughts of "what the hell did I just do? Why couldn't I just leave my body alone and focus more so than before on diet exercise?" The next few months don't worry me, I am committed to losing weight and getting healthy, what I struggle with is the sight of some of the foods I love and feeling like I'll never be able to enjoy them again the way I did before. I have talked to a few guys on here and they have made me feel a lot better. But being only 31 years old I don't want to feel in 2-3 years that I made a huge mistake because I can't have a salad, dinner roll, steak and a tall Blue Moon again. 

Chrisarchila
on 3/7/15 9:07 am

From what I hear also, I'm almost 100% that we're gonna be ok. I just started having some sweet potatoes and no problem. I'll keep u posted how I progress and hopefully u do the same. Let's do this!!!

ChillOutWayne
on 3/7/15 9:22 am
RNY on 03/02/15

Sweet potatoes sound pretty damn good, I've hit about 70oz of water for the day so I'm "enjoying" a couple ounces of this oh-so-delicious bland chicken broth, ha! I'll be on the clear liquids until next Tuesday when I meet with the program nutritionist. Then for 2 weeks I'll be on full liquids, who woulda thought a protein shake would sound so amazing right now? Hah. In 3 weeks I plan to have the absolute best over-easy egg I have had in my entire life. In the mean time, fluids and activity and trying to stay focused and heal up properly. 

Most Active
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 26 views
Recent Topics
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 26 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 60 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 83 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 94 views