Psychological Question

David R.
on 4/16/15 10:08 pm

Hey guys -

This Tuesday I'll be 8 weeks out and will likely hit the -80 mark.  So it is going extremely well and I am beginning to not recognize myself. One of the dynamics that I am experiencing is that I just don't give a rat's ass about food. As a big guy (most of my life) food was the center of my world, used to celebrate, medicate, eradicate boredom. I think I am experiencing some sort of psychological loss. I don't feel as if it is depression, but more of a sense of a loss of a good friend. Both my mom and dad have passed away and the feelings I am experiencing now are some of the same type of feelings - but regarding food.

Anyone having/had a similar experience? What are some practical steps to move beyond this sense of loss?

Thanks

David

Don 1962
on 4/16/15 11:09 pm, edited 4/16/15 11:10 pm

David,

You are mourning the loss of your lifelong best buddy, Food. While there certain foods you will miss more than others because of how they are tolerated by the new gizzard and you can't eat them like you once did, as in life, new "friends" will come in to the picture. Make sense? If not I'll put blame on crappy, and I mean CRAPPY, hotel buffet coffee.

Ohiodietguy
on 4/18/15 2:38 am

Congrats on losing 80lbs in 8 wks

Would you mind sharing what type of WLS surgery?

I am just starting the process of trying to get approved

Thanks!

Starting Weight 337  Current Weight 178.4 BMI 22.3 

David R.
on 4/18/15 2:50 am

Hi Ohio,

i had RNY ON 24th Feb. Lost 33 on two week preop diet. The rest in last 8 weeks.

cabin111
on 4/18/15 8:42 am

The majority of WLS patients say the mental side of WLS is harder than the physical side.  I understand the food situation.  Once you get near goal you can adventure back into those forbidden foods...But be careful.  It's like an addict going back to "the stuff"...Esp simple carbs (bread, soft drinks, cake, candy, sugar). 

After you start losing a few more pounds it really gets interesting (messing with your head).  You will start gaining more confidence.  You will walk taller.  Women (who wouldn't give you the time of day) make it a point to say hello.  It's like "where were you when I was heavy...I'm still the same person inside".  You get treated different, better, in business situations.  No it's not fair, but that is how society is.  So, just saying the mental side is harder than the physical side of weight loss surgery.  You really need to be grounded or it can throw you for a loop.  Brian 

Grim_Traveller
on 4/20/15 9:16 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I was shocked when I realized I no longer cared whether I ate or not. To go from always hungry and thinking about food, to not being hungry, was a shock.

I asked my surgeon at my three month checkup, and he said to make the most of it while it lasted, and it had to do with nerves and hormones. He said it lasts for six months, nine or so if I was lucky.

It was probably ten or eleven months, but I did start getting hungry again. It was a lot easier sticking to really low calories while not hungry, believe me. Some people say that their hunger never does return, but I think for most it does.

Grieve for food, but take advantage of this honeymoon period, and drop as much as you can, as fast as you can. You are doing great so far. I think the most I lost in any single month was 24 pounds, and 21 in a couple others.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Somedude
on 6/14/15 5:28 am
VSG on 10/31/13

Do I still like to eat? Sure. But I don't have the cravings on the scale that I used to have. I feel a lot more in control post op. I can deal with having just a small spoon of ice cream and stop right there. Or have a handful of popcorn and not go back into the bucket. I do those things with any regularity but once in awhile I will indulge. It is definitely something that takes getting used to. Great work on the loss and keep it up!

Most Active
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 25 views
Recent Topics
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 25 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 59 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 82 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 93 views