A question of .... Ketosis.

George C.
on 6/17/15 11:56 am
VSG on 08/18/15 with

I am inquiring about the use of this term in relation to weight loss.  

Are you following a high protein and bare minimum carb diet?

How many carbs are eating a day?

Do you limit your proteins in regard to fattiness?

I am out about 2 months from surgery and wondering how ya'll are controlling your diet and weight management as well.

Thanks for all the help!

George.

On this weight loss journey to find a new self, to find a more active person, to find a healthy person.

Ht:5'10  Start weight: 486, surgery weight: 427, goal weight: 205

bulldog76ss
on 6/17/15 1:01 pm - OH

Its funny, I was never instructed or informed about Ketosis during my whole WLS process.  My daily protein intake ranges from 80 grams to 100.  Carbs about 30-40.  Been pretty strict to keeping to this.  The first 3 months were easy to control, didn't want anything and what I did eat made me a little sick.  Got better slowly after that.  At about 9 months I could eat just about anything except eggs and fatty meats.  Currently eating 1000-1200 cals a day and most of the time I not really hungry only doing it to survive.  Good luck to you.

Don 1962
on 6/17/15 4:18 pm

Bulldog,

Glanced at your profile and read about events of last month.  Congrats on your success!  Pics, please, when you can or will either here or on your profile.  Thanks!

Don 1962
on 6/17/15 4:24 pm

Hello George,

Ketosis, brief explanation, is when you are in the rapid weight loss stage.  Your liver will be in running at "warp 9" speed metabolizing all the crap being dumped into your system from the fat.  Heads up - your mouth will feel and taste like the inside of a old metal dog watering bowl. 

cabin111
on 6/19/15 11:12 am

Also off the internet...
Question: What is Ketosis? Answer: A lot of people are confused by the term "ketosis." You may read that it is a "dangerous state" for the body, and it does sound abnormal to be "in ketosis." But ketosis merely means that our bodies are using fat for energy. Ketones (also called ketone bodies) are molecules generated during fat metabolism, whether from the fat in the guacamole you just ate or fat you were carrying around your middle. When our bodies are breaking down fat for energy, most of the it gets converted more or less directly to ATP. (Remember high school biology? This is the "energy molecule.") But ketones are also produced as part of the process.

When people eat less carbohydrate, their bodies turn to fat for energy, so it makes sense that more ketones are generated. Some of those ketones (acetoacetate and ß-hydroxybutyrate) are used for energy; the heart muscle and kidneys, for example, prefer ketones to glucose. Most cells, including the brain cells, are able to use ketones for at least part of their energy. But there is one type of ketone molecule, called acetone, that cannot be used and is excreted as waste, mostly in the urine and breath (sometimes causing a distinct breath odor).

If enough acetone is in our urine, it can be detected using a dipstick commonly called by the brand name Ketostix (though there are other brands, as well). Even though everyone is generating ketones continuously, this detection in the urine is what is commonly called "ketosis."
I love that your breath smells like lighter fluid...Because that's what it is...Lighter fluid...Acetone

George C.
on 6/23/15 4:04 am, edited 6/23/15 4:05 am
VSG on 08/18/15 with

I am glad to be able to get back to this subject.

I understand the concept of ketosis in relationship to "Dr Adkin's Diet."  I was wondering how sensitive the process of fat metabolism in relationship to weight loss was experienced by WLS participants.

I have heard of ketosis bantered about.  I was able to lose 50 pounds in 3 months via controlled carb intake (45-60 carb meals 4 times a day (3meals/snack).  I have gone from being a severe type 2 diabetic A1C was 10.5 and brought it down to 2.o points in 60 days.  I have seen 14.0 with A1Cs before.  I had lost 50 pounds via Adkins in 3 months (15 years ago) but gained it all back in 4 months.

I know that WLS is a tool, and I know that Adkin's (Ketosis) can be a tool, but I was wondering...

1) Do some of you (after surgery) count all of your carb grams, or just wing it by increasing your protein?

I am wondering how stringent some of you are when it comes to your diet and weight loss?

On this weight loss journey to find a new self, to find a more active person, to find a healthy person.

Ht:5'10  Start weight: 486, surgery weight: 427, goal weight: 205

zann50
on 6/23/15 1:04 pm

I count carbs only...if one desires to lose wt using low carbs, counting calories can be somewhat of an aggravation.

I keep my carbs at less than 25gms/day.  DR. ATKIN'S original book provides the correct way to find your "CCL"...stands for critical carb load.  If you are really interested, find a copy of the original book.  There are way too many watered down version.  Although, many find success with them.  Most now want to eat low fat and more carbs than necessary. 

Using ketostix will assist you in finding YOUR CCL.  When you stop seeing shades of purple...you are not burning fat as rapidly. Usually, this indicates ingesting more carbs than necessary to burn FAT. 

This is boring stuff.  But it works!  There are probably metabolic scientist on this board who can explain the KREB'S CYCLE much better than I.

Good luck with your WL journey :)

Zann

VGS- 2015

Ohiodietguy
on 6/23/15 7:31 pm

Right now before surgery I am trying to keep carbs to 100 per day. Six weeks before surgery I can only have 30 carbs per day.  What is your daily diet composed of at 30 grams of carbs per day?

Starting Weight 337  Current Weight 178.4 BMI 22.3 

Most Active
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 3 replies · 29 views
Recent Topics
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 3 replies · 29 views
St. Patty's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 62 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 87 views