Lapband to RNY or Sleeve??? Advice please!

Nate K
on 7/19/15 6:41 pm - Akron, OH

Hello all!

I am a 23 year old college student, looking to have a revision. I had Lapband when I was 15 years old, and I gained all of my weight back over the years. My surgeon is recommending RNY I believe but will be meeting with him soon to talk some more.

I want to hear from everybody to see what your opinions are on RNY and sleeve. I am trying to figure out which sounds like the best option with less chance of problems or being miserable for a long time.

I am excited to get a revision but want to get some opinions and then talk to my surgeon to see what would be best.

Thank you!

Nate 

Don 1962
on 7/20/15 2:47 am

A loaded question you ask.

IMHO comes it down to one condition/difference between the two.  If you need NASIDS for pain control then go with the VSG if not the RNY.  The RNY is more restrictive and after losing 160 pounds and keeping it off for better part of seven years after it was gone it is what I would suggest but others have had great success with sleeves without the malabosorbtion issues from an RNY. DO YOUR RESEARCH and consult with your doctor.  You a young man and getting a handle on your weight/health now, in theory, will benefit you for a very long time! 

Sandman1991
on 7/20/15 10:52 am

hi I had ryn surgery on june  24th and I have lost 30 lbs( 40lbs from may 1st before surgery on pre op, sometimes you will get what they call foaming . this is when you over eat you .I walk 3 miles a day and when I eat this may sound odd but I hick up when I get full how ever I have over eaten and have felt the feeling of foaming in my stomach and have spit out like a foam  regeritated  my food that happens when you over eat when you start to feel full just stop and don't eat any more . this is a new way of life and you need to remeber that I can only eat 1/2 of one scrambled egg and im full realy you will know when you are full. and you can ot have a revision again this is it !!!!!

(deactivated member)
on 7/20/15 9:00 pm

Any doctor recommending a Lap Band or RNY today is not worth sticking with. In Europe they don't even perform lap bands any more, and RNY was upgraded to a DS about 15 years ago, and the DS was upgraded to the SADi DS about 5 years ago. I would suggest the only 2 options you serious consider are the sleeve or the SADi DS. The better doctors performing WLS surgery will tell you the same.

Han Shot First
on 7/21/15 4:59 pm - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

I agree with the Lap Band, but not your comments on the RNY.  The DS is another option, but not an "upgrade" to RNY.  They both have their pros and cons.  

--

150 lost and maintaining!

Grim_Traveller
on 7/21/15 6:39 pm
RNY on 08/21/12
On July 20, 2015 at 9:00 PM Pacific Time, jmuldune wrote:

Any doctor recommending a Lap Band or RNY today is not worth sticking with. In Europe they don't even perform lap bands any more, and RNY was upgraded to a DS about 15 years ago, and the DS was upgraded to the SADi DS about 5 years ago. I would suggest the only 2 options you serious consider are the sleeve or the SADi DS. The better doctors performing WLS surgery will tell you the same.

More and more doctors here won't do lapbands at all anymore. There are too many serious long term complications. Fewer doctors do the DS for the same reason -- too many long term complications, especially related to vitamin deficiencies. The SADi DS is still considered an experimental surgery here, is not a true DS, and insurance companies don't cover it. Any of the single anastomosis surgeries are bad, bad ideas. A lot of people have had major problems with the SADi DS and mini gastric bypass.

Canada still does the RNY almost exclusively, with a special waiver needed for the VSG. RNY is still a great surgery, with many more performed over a much longer timeframe than any other surgery.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 7/24/15 8:06 pm

I had the Sadi done in Nov 2014. Insurance covered almost 100%, and the procedure has been performed for 8 years.

in the 2 studies available online, the avg patient loses 95% of their excess weight and on avg keeps 100% of it off after 3 yrs.

The DS eliminates dumping syndrome that the RNY causes but has a low to moderate risk of long term malnutrition. The Sadi DS includes a much longer intestinal common channel so little to no malnutrition. It also only requires 1 stitch during surgery so usually no complications if performed by a qualified doctor.

I would strongly suggest anyone consider WLS surgery speak with a surgeon that performs the procedure, and knows all the other options so they can make a good decision.

Han Shot First
on 7/21/15 5:00 pm - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

Another thing to think about is if you have any comorbidities, like diabetes, sleep apnea, etc.  Those tend to do better after RNY compared to the sleeve.

--

150 lost and maintaining!

HITodd
on 7/28/15 4:59 am

I had the RNY 12 years ago. Today I'm within 3 lbs of my maximum weight loss. The RNY was the best way for me. Some of the sleeves and bands have been replaced, and the people still put on weight. Many times they gain all of the weight back. 

One of my family members asked me about WLS yesterday, my reply was RNY was the only way to go. 

Most Active
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 3 replies · 30 views
Recent Topics
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 3 replies · 30 views
St. Patty's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 63 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 88 views