Exercise - How often do you get to the Gym?

Reicken
on 10/27/15 8:34 am - Victoria , Canada

Heya Guys,

I'm 3 months out and looking to finally get back into the gym. Walking alone isn't doing it anymore but haven't had the energy up until now. How often do you hit the gym and what ratio of cardio to resistance training did you start out with? Also, did you take anything other than water to the gym with you incase you felt lightheaded? Unfortunately that has happened to me in the past.

Good luck to all in their continued journey!

HW: 330 | SW: 300 | 1 Mo: -27 | 2 Mo: -12| 3 Mo: 0 (stalled!)

Surgery Type: VSG - Dr. Malik @ Royal Jubilee Hospital (2015/07/27)

Johann1971
on 10/27/15 12:07 pm - Johannesburg, South Africa
RNY on 04/15/15

Hi there Reicken,

Well done on the three months! Feels great doesn't it?!

I try and hit the gym about 5 times a week. I am very close to my goal weight so I try and alternate between weights (3 times a week with 5 mins cardio before I start) and cardio (twice a week). Usually 1 day weights and the next cardio. I noticed that in the whole process so far I lost a lot of muscle mass (and of course that stubborn fat!! Yipee!!), so I focus quite a bit on the weights at the moment. I started with a weight that was comfortable and just heavy enough to "burn" me a bit, without exerting myself. I then started to add a little more weight every week. Cardio...I usually only limit myself to 30 minutes max per session. I go for cycle or eliptical...just intense enough to get my heart rate going and keeping it up to about 140 for 20 minutes.

I asked my dietician about supplements, and she suggested not to take anything chemical. She said that only whey protein should do the trick. Speak to your dietician too.

I find that if I take a light snack about 1 hour before my workout, I do not feel tired or dizzy during training. I usually take a serving of whey protein mixed with some milk or some yoghurt and have a fruit like an apple. Other than that I only drink water. I also have about a half a serving (about half a cup) of a protein shake immediately after gym and then try and have a meal about 1 hour after workout. Seems to work quite well for me and I'm not tired or dizzy at all. In fact I'm so hyped on "happy hormones"!!

This is what works for me...I guess each one of us figure out for ourselves what work and what doesn't. Hope this can help you.

Good luck and keep up the good work on your journey.

Qajohn
on 10/27/15 12:53 pm - Woodbury, MN
RNY on 01/16/14

Same as above. I do use a pre-workout supplement (C4). I also drink a BCAA supplement when I'm working out, but I admit I don't think there's a benefit. I actually just like the taste. I usually try to lift weights or workout with a trainer 4-5 times a week adding some cardio here and there. Once a week or so I'll jump on an elliptical for an hour or so.

docbad32
on 10/27/15 1:46 pm

When I first was cleared to exercise I walked then walked/jogged everyday except on Saturdays when I would play golf. Now I run 4 days a week, do strength training 2 days and golf one day. I always workout at 4:30 AM first thing in the morning so I'm always on an empty stomach. I figured I had tons of fuel stored already, no need to take more in for the workout. However, if you've had that issue before, I would just make sure to take it slow and pay attention to the signals you're body is sending. May be able to determine what causes the light headedness and either stop that activity or find a solution that works. Good luck with it all. I got hooked once I started running.

VSG:  3/12/15

Most Active
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 3 replies · 30 views
Recent Topics
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 3 replies · 30 views
St. Patty's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 63 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 88 views