6 month post op visit low wbc.

bigsalty
on 1/28/16 11:05 am

Hello, had my sleeve June 15, 2015.  Had my 6 month post op visit and the weight loss was excellent.  But my blood count was not.  They said my wbc was low 3.2 and was vitamin d deficient, b-12 deficient , aniemic and losing muscle.  I have been exercising 3 to 4 times a week most of the time.  Started lifting weights and feel pretty good.  But know I am scared.  They want me to see a hematologist.  I had a high and went to a low within 10 minutes.  My highest weight was in February of 2015 (400lbs) and weight in January 21, at(301 lbs)  but then got the news about my wbc.  I must admit that at times I may not have been getting all my proteins in and taking my vitamins as routinely but since then has been making an effort to do better.  Have you or anyone that you know have had any issues with low wbc counts.

Don 1962
on 1/28/16 3:38 pm

FWIW:  I take a B12 sublingually 3x a week same for Vitamin D.  Take iron daily.  Numbers in the middle last several years.  Sounds like you know what you need to do it is a matter of getting it done. 

bigsalty
on 1/28/16 6:13 pm

Yes... I just have to do better

cabin111
on 1/28/16 8:46 pm

Get those vitamins in.  Don't know if this will help...A few ideas.  Don't know if you saw my post about getting some milk in (1 oz) when you pee in the middle of the night.  You may want to try that or some beef jerky (or a spoonful of Wendy's Chili) by the nightstand.  Jerky, just a small piece (chew well) or even cut them in very very small pieces so they are easy to eat, since you are 1/2 asleep in the middle of the night.  Other ideas in no special order; Frozen spinach and brussel sprouts...Cook in microwave with a little water and salt.  The other idea is Wendy's Chili.  I add cheese to my chili but you may not want to.  You want to keep (eat) your calcium and iron at different times...Calcium pill + (milk, cheese, yogurt) can block iron absorption.  The first 5 years (even today) I will have a spoonful of Wendy's Chili for breakfast...Just to know that I have my iron (meat, beans) helping me in the morning...It is also high in potassium.  Good luck on your journey.  Don't freak out if you need an iron infusion or two over the next few months...It shouldn't be a long term thing, since you had the sleeve.  Maybe (just me talking), cut down on the weight lifting for a few months and work more on toning and working your core muscles.  Unless you plan to go into pro football (sorry, but with your age and iron it may be out of the question), you'll need to look more for other exercise that works all around.  Things like bicycling, pickup basketball games (or leagues), swimming, racquetball.  Get healed up then take on the world tiger!!  Brian

Nick S.
on 1/28/16 8:50 pm - Detroit, MI
VSG on 12/22/15

Great job on the weight loss man! Sounds like your body is just starving for vitamins after losing so much weight so fast.

Malnutrition and vitamin deficiency are big causes for low wbc counts and anemia, but don't worry because you can fix it! Talk with your primary care doc about your blood counts and see what suggestions for supplements you can take to get your iron count up and make sure to take a multivitamin daily, even 2x a day if you can manage it. 

Heaviest: 335   Currently: 190

VSG in December 2015

bigsalty
on 1/28/16 9:00 pm

Thanks for the info.  I feel a whole lot better knowing that this can happen due to weight loss surgery... I plan on getting better with my vitamins and making sure I get in all my proteins... I made me a shake this morning before work and I'm drinking one now... Something that I was not doing before.

Ohiodietguy
on 2/18/16 5:35 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum 

I have been advised by my doctor that my copper is low and I'm now taking 10 mg of copper every week or about 2 mg every other day 

Then they called and said that my iron was low so now I'm taking iron twice a day 2 hours apart from any calcium 

before any of this ever happened for at least the past 20 years I've had a low white blood count and have been seen by hematologist the doctor normally recommend taking vitamin B 12

I now Take vitamin B 12 sublingually  when I first told my  hematologist that I was having weight-loss surgery he really thought I should have a shot of vitamin B 12 every week 

In a few months I will be returning to my annual follow-up visit with hematologist and will find out then how my  B12is looking 

When the doctors office calls now from the weight-loss after my lab work I get a little bit nervous and hope that I am not deficient in some other vitamin 

Good luck with your doctors appointment with the hematologist 

Starting Weight 337  Current Weight 178.4 BMI 22.3 

Grim_Traveller
on 2/18/16 8:28 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Are you taking vitamin C with your iron? It halps absorption. 200 mg ofvitamin C for every 30 mg of iron. Other things inhibit iron absorption as well. Coffee, tea, soy, and many more foods.

B12 sublinguals work just as well as shots. I take mine only once a week, and have had to cut back the dose because it gets high.

I'm not sure which multi you were taking, but many have no copper at all. It's one of the big problems with children's vitamins, gummies, etc. 

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Ohiodietguy
on 2/19/16 6:37 am

Thank you!  When the nurse called to tell me to take more iron she said to start taking Vitamin C. So I have started taking Vitamin C.  Thank you for explaining why! I really had no idea that vitamin c would help with iron absorption. - Thanks for the information Have a good day!

Starting Weight 337  Current Weight 178.4 BMI 22.3 

Most Active
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 18 views
Recent Topics
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 18 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 52 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 74 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In