Just Got My Orientation Date!

JMac1072
on 3/9/16 10:57 am

Hey guys, I'm obviously new to all of this.  I wanted to take the time to introduce my self.  Names John, I was referred by my doc. just after the new year and got my orientation date 2 weeks ago.  

I'm really excited to start the process.  I have friends that have had it done about 4 years ago and have a whole new life.  I can't wait to be free of this fatty jail!!!

(deactivated member)
on 3/9/16 7:33 pm

The hard part now is deciding which procedure to have. It requires a lot of research on your part along with some soul searching to determine what's really important for you.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Ohiodietguy
on 3/13/16 8:30 am

Welcome JMAC1072

Congratulations,  this is definitely a life changing surgery and I know you will greatly benefit.  I agree with jmuldune completely research as much as possible. When I started out in Feb 2015 I was determined to have the Lap Band and thought it was the best option. I am not sure if it was on this website or maybe I was on reddit weight loss surgery forum and a complete stranger completely blasted me for wanting to have lap band surgery. I was completely taken aback and completely offended.  Now a year later I  am thankful for that criticism from the complete stranger. In Oct I had the RNY and have lost total of 120lbs.  I always tell this same thing to new people this sight has really helped me and in addition I recommend this podcast on iTunes that is wonderful  Weight Loss Surgery by Reeger Cortell. I don't think she is still doing those but I listened to all of the older episodes and learned so much and they were inspiring and gave me hope.  Try to figure out what is the best surgery option for you and go with it!  Check back here often. good luck!

Starting Weight 337  Current Weight 178.4 BMI 22.3 

JMac1072
on 3/21/16 12:10 pm

I have about 5 friends, both male and female that have had the RNY, and that is definitely the route I want to go.  I think the benefits will well out weigh the negatives.  

My biggest push for the surgery is I want to be free and enjoy life again.  I have been a heavier person since I was in grade 4.  It used to be not to bad, but now that I have a young daughter and a wife, I want to be able to do stuff with them and I can't.  I know I can handle it with their support, which I have.  

I have already cut out pop, and am working on lowering my intake of food and raising the quality of food I take.  

I told my wife if I can cut out pop than I can do this.  I know that sounds far fetched, but I drank on average 7 cans of diet pop a day.  It took me a month to cut it out.  It's been just almost 4 months since I stopped and I haven't looked back!

MassHockey
on 3/13/16 6:16 pm

Welcome and congrats on getting started.  I have zero complaints about the whole wls process.  Best thing I've ever done.

JMac1072
on 3/14/16 2:04 am

Thanks guys, it's great to know there are people who understand. 

I'm thinking of doing the RNY.  I have a couple friends who have gotten it done and are super happy with it.

MassHockey
on 3/14/16 7:26 am

I cant say enough about my experience with RNY:

• No pain after surgery (never pressed the pain button in the hospital; never took any of the drugs they sent home)
  • Back to work in 5 days without any issues
  • Down 134 lbs in 5 months (321 to 187)
  • Very rarely hungry
  • Fill up quickly 
  • No sickness, dumping, etc....
  • I dont wonder when I'm going to die anymore (did that a lot a year ago)
JMac1072
on 5/17/16 5:23 am

So I had my orientation almost a month ago.  I found I knew a lot of the info because I did my own research, but none the less, it was good to hear the stuff I didn't know.  Now I have to wait till July 5th for my first appointment with the social worker.  The lady said it's about a year on average to get the operation, not bad!!  

so excited to have the RNY done.  Im presently 370 LBS at 5 foot 10 inches.  I need this operation, I want my life back!

Most Active
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 34 views
Recent Topics
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 34 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 60 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 80 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 3 replies · 93 views