My new surgery

MattV74
on 4/7/16 10:54 pm
WLS on 12/30/15

Hello. I decided to Start sharing my journey now that I have had weight loss surgery. I had a new procedure, the VBloc on December 29th. Since starting this journey I have lost about 60 lbs. High mark of 314 (I'm 5'10") now at 255.

I went with with the VBloc because it was so minimally invasive and works on hunger. It blocks the Vagus nerve for about 12 hours a day (waking hours). Mostly I don't feel hungry nearly as much and I eat far less than I used to. I am working on losing 40 more pounds and then sustaining. The VBloc has only been at a therapeutic level for about 3 weeks - so I am excited to see the progress now that I am more in control of consumption. I'll add some pictures soon. Ask me anything

0 COMMENTS

Be the first to comment!

Ohiodietguy
on 4/8/16 2:20 pm

Congrats! Keep us posted on your progress!

Starting Weight 337  Current Weight 178.4 BMI 22.3 

(deactivated member)
on 4/9/16 9:14 pm

Thanks for posting. Can you explain the VBlock a little more. Is it a variation of one of the other main WLS procedures?

MattV74
on 4/20/16 6:08 pm
WLS on 12/30/15

The vBloc is an entirely new procedure.  It is essentially a small pace-maker implanted that blocks the signals from your Vagus nerve.  The Vagus nerve sends signals that make you feel hunger, satiety and tells your stomach to expand / contract.  The effect of vBloc has been significantly less hunger and faster feeling of fullness.  I continue to lose weight and feel more full when eating small portions.  The surgery is reversible, no changes to your anatomy and my recovery was a week only.

I'll keep posting as I progress. 

cabin111
on 4/13/16 7:25 pm, edited 4/14/16 4:16 am

Cool...We are all waiting for new procedures.  Some work, some don't...Some take years to know if there is long term success.  My vagus nerve was cut with my RNY...I think that helped me greatly.  I haven't felt hunger since the surgery.  I get a "not full" feeling...And I can tell when my blood sugar level is low.  Great concept.  I remember 9 years ago asking the local bariatric surgeon, "Instead of surgery, why not just cut the vagus nerve?"  No response.  Good luck on your journey.  Brian

MattV74
on 4/20/16 6:11 pm
WLS on 12/30/15

Thanks!

One thing I have learned is that the body will eventually adapt to a severed Vagus Nerve by compensating other nerve channels.  The vBloc prevents this by using an algorithm to block intermittently throughout the day (about 12 hours a day).  This makes it impossible for your body to "adapt" and keeps the effect going indefinitely.  The device is off about 12 hours a day and you get to select the blocking time.

cabin111
on 4/20/16 8:55 pm

Consult your physician...Just talking out loud.  What if you set the devise for blocking 18 hours...Working on that late night grazing?  Say have the nerve open from 12 midnight to 6am...The hours you are most likely (for most of us about 90% of the time) to be asleep.  Even 9 years out from RNY I still crave salty crunch at night...Chips, salted nuts.  

Are the doctors trying to find the sweet spot for the hours...Or have they already?  The first thing that doctors are taught is to "do no harm"!!  But could 18 hours work better??  Only new studies could tell.  Thoughts?? 

MattV74
on 4/20/16 10:05 pm
WLS on 12/30/15

Snacking has been a big problem for me.  I can set the device via my doctor for any 12 hour window I want.  Mine goes 9am - 10pm and that seems just perfect for me on weekdays.  On weekends the device goes 10am to 11pm which works better as I do stay up later.

MattV74
on 4/20/16 10:06 pm
WLS on 12/30/15

Meant to say - snacking has not been a big problem.  

Most Active
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 35 views
Recent Topics
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 35 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 61 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 81 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 3 replies · 94 views