7 mos post op and starting to regain weight? Maintenance Tips and Advice

Ohiodietguy
on 5/27/16 2:26 am

Well I Guess this is my wake up call?   Yesterday I weighed 182.2 and today I weigh 187.2. I am 7 mos post op RNY.  Now that I am 7 mos post op my Hunger has really returned. I have found myself grazing all day on grapes, strawberries and at night eating a couple oz of almonds.  I am not sure how I gained 5 lbs over night? Today I am going to track my food, stop grazing, and return to healthy eating habits and stick with protein. I know that grapes strawberries and fruit are full of sugar. I have noticed also that consumption of water has not been that great over the last few days.  Unfortunately at night I am hungry and grazing from 8:00pm until I go to sleep. I know that I am in the Maintenance stage I guess? This rapid weight gain really concerns me though.  I continue to exercise and went to the gym yesterday for an hour and was on the elliptical and stairmaster. On Weds I jogged 5.5 miles 

I really like this forum and would be glad to hear your advice and recommendations?  Has anyone else started to regain weight at 7 mos?  (I am going to cross-post this in the RNY forum)

Starting Weight 337  Current Weight 178.4 BMI 22.3 

Qajohn
on 5/28/16 5:41 am - Woodbury, MN
RNY on 01/16/14

So if my math is correct, you've gone from 337 to about 182, 155 pounds. Although I'm not sure how tall you are, I'm assuming you're probably in or near your normal BMI. And you did that in 7 months or so. #1 - NICELY DONE!!

So in my opinion, the weight loss phase is easy. Its the maintenance phase that's tough. Both mentally and physically. Once we've lost the weight, we need to start getting into a routine and grind for the rest of our lives. In my case, I've made good changes to my diet, but I've had some new demons pop up that have given me problems. As in normal life we simply (or so it would seem simply) need to deal with the demons. 

As for a big increase in one week, I would submit that if you are tracking your eating and have any control whatsoever, you didn't gain 5# in a week. That equates to over 17,000 extra calories over what you need to sustain your weight, and if you're controlling your diet, and getting exercise regularly, I would be very skeptical that you gained that weight. More likely you're retaining some water, or need a good bowel movement (seriously). 

My unpaid, unsolicited and uneducated advice......relax!!! Keep tracking. keep doing what you did to lose the weight. Keep working ou****ch diet changes and figure out what you need to stay in your plan. You got this. 

Tomorrow I'll post my most recent action to get my diet under control.

Ohiodietguy
on 5/28/16 7:48 am

@QAJohn Thanks for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it! Thanks for the good advice! It seems like maintenance may be more difficult but I am motivated to stick with the plan I am 6'3 and my BMI is close to 23. Thanks again have a good Memorial Day weekend!

SkottiRNY
on 5/28/16 8:08 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 07/07/15

Hey there! 

One thing you mention is that your water has not been that great the last couple of days. Try to keep on top of that. I have run into similar situations on weekends, where I don't seem to drink as much as I do on a week day. So I make more of an effort to get my water in 7 days a week. Also, is your protein up  to the level it should be? Sometimes, if you are short on it, that will have an impact too. For me, when I get "the urge" to eat in the evening, I make a protein shake or smoothie. I would rather my last calories of the evening be on something positive like a protein shake. I usually make an orange creamsicle.... Low calorie orange jello(½ a prepared jello cup), Greek yogurt in my magic bullet... spin it until smooth. Put in my protein powder(Kaizen chocolate) and continue blending until completely combined. Freezer for about 15 minutes... and Mmmmm delicious! Something to keep in mind.

You are doing great, so don't worry too much. Keep tracking, exercising and enjoying the new you!!

Cheers,

Skotti 

"Not every day is Fantastic, but at least I have the opportunity to live every day." ~ Skotti RNY

My YouTube Channel

HW: 419 lbs August 2014  - SW: 340 lbs - GW: 219 lbs 

RNY July 7, 2015

Ohiodietguy
on 5/28/16 8:31 am

@Skotti Thanks for the great advice and taking the time to respond! I appreciate it. The recipe for the shake sounds delicious I will try that Have a good weekend!

cabin111
on 6/1/16 3:22 pm, edited 6/1/16 8:27 am

Yeah, that is wake up time...We all go though that period.  I will throw out some ideas...Like throwing things against a wall (see which ones stick).  Some of these have worked over the years.  My biggest downfall has been in the evening, I crave a salty crunch!  So tortilla chips are my downfall.  Don't go down that route!!  So below are some ideas in no special order I have used at some time over the years.

In the evening, I would stuff my face (stomach) with raw vegetables.  Just like the diets you did before surgery.  Yeah, boring...But if the stomach if filled with boring stuff you have no time to go to the bad stuff.  Thing like carrots, pea pods, broccoli, Wendy's Chili (pinto beans and beef), spinach may help.  If you need to go sweet try an apple (more fiber).

In the early/late evening I would force myself to get in a little exercise before bed.  Not getting wound up...But just walking around the house (inside or out) for 15-30 minutes at about a 3 MPH rate...Just to get away from the food.  Even things like Youtube videos to exercise to.  Not kill you...Just basic movement.  I would sleep better...Burn energy...And not have to deal with the junk food.  If you live in a safe neighborhood (very few left)...Do you have a dog (s)?  Can they use a walk later in the evening??  It forces you out of the house (away from the food).  My wife and I don't have pets (allergies), so we would use the neighbor's dogs to walk!!

Also try and limit the "go to" junk food in the house.  There shouldn't be anything with high fructose corn syrup even in the house...Addicting and not good for you. 

Try to find some later chores to do in the evening...Summertime after the day cools off.  Water the lawn/shrubs in the evening (drinking water from the facet while you do it).  Clean out the car or truck at 7-9pm...Really good.  Good cleaning, vacuum the car or house...Detail the car.  It just keeps you away from the fridge and pantry.

I know these sound a little crazy...And you need your down time to relax (being tired)...But these are little things that keep your mind off of the food.  Brian

Ohiodietguy
on 6/1/16 3:45 pm

Thanks for the great ideas! I appreciate it!

(deactivated member)
on 6/4/16 1:44 pm

I wouldn't worry at all about it since you are generally eating healthy and getting exercise. Your weight will likely gravitate down for another 6 months or longer.

In March, I gained 7 or 8lbs without doing anything different, and the it practically fell off in April while I was not trying to lose weight. I'm 18 months out and stabilizing now. Any natural foods including fruits and vegetables should be unlimited, especially since you exercise.

Ohiodietguy
on 6/4/16 6:59 pm

Thanks for your response. I am training for a half marathon. I am a slow jogger 13 to 14 minute miles. All of this jogging makes me ravenous . I jogged 8.6 miles this morning. Thanks again!

Most Active
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 25 views
Recent Topics
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 25 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 59 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 82 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In